Chance Me: Asian Male (Valedictorian) from Alabama with high hopes in MechE [3.98, 33, $25-30k]

I did MCA already and got a ~5368. I don’t know if this is accurate based off what you just said about them taking 9-11 grade grades. In the semesters per course section I included semesters that I will be taking in senior year. Should I only do up until what I have taken, if so I have not taken a visual arts class yet but am planning on taking one in senior year should i include that?

Is it like UC schools where I can apply to all of them under one applications?

Should I consider UMD a safety then?

Of course if they admit by schools then I will apply school of engineering. Other than that I am still watching youtube videos on CS, DS, MechE, and other engineerings majors.

1 Like

Yes, it is one app and you can choose one or more of the cal state campuses to apply to. There is a fee for each one.

As noted in my post above, there are three polytechnic campuses: SLO, Pomona, and Humboldt. All have a similar philosophy. SLO is the best known and likely the most rigorous, but also the most difficult to get into. Likely none will meet your price point…

2 Likes

It’s a tough admit…but you are in the ballpark. Personally, I think it’s more a target than a safety. But it’s a reach if you don’t apply early decision. My opinion.

3 Likes

The GT scholarship is part of the stamps foundation scholarships, offered to superior students at several Schools.

3 Likes

You may have misunderstood what I said. 94% is the percentage of the freshman class that’s filled through EA. Not their acceptance rate. They’re considered a top 20 CS school, and I think for MechE as well - so definitely not an easy admit. OOS acceptance rate is likely in the upper 20%, low 30s. But you have the stats so probably a target school for you.

4 Likes

It looks like everything that I could add has been covered already.

Cal Poly will be full pay, plus the recently added opportunity grant which is now at it’s full amount. It isn’t the screamin’ deal that it was from OOS that it was when my son attendded, but still a pretty good deal relative to the UC system.

As was previously mentioned, they do give small scholarships to OOS students. It used to max out at $2k/year when my son was a student, but I think it might be up to $3k now. It’s not enough to put much of a dent into the total amount.

3 Likes

From what I am understanding you cannot find it you have to get an email or something like that from GT. Is this correct?

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

If you have any specific Cal Poly questions, feel free to PM me. My son graduated in 2019 (BS/MS ME). Things have changed a little since then, like new dorms, opportunity grant, etc. but the experience is largely the same as when he attended.

4 Likes

Even though Cal Poly SLO still refers to the MCA in their admission selection criteria, how it is calculated is no longer valid since going test blind.

They still consider GPA (9-11th a-g course grades) with an 8 semester Honors point cap for eligible AP/IB/DE courses taken 10-11th grades, your major choice, HS course rigor including the strength of your 12th grade course, EC hours and leadership. The admissions algorithm is not known but worth an application if affordable.

We consider other factors for admission deemed important to our campus. All candidates are objectively evaluated by the cognitive and non-cognitive variables under our faculty-mandated Multi-Criteria Admission (MCA) process.

1 Like

Does Lehigh still give merit scholarships? We were specifically told that they were actively trying to increase OOS students who were not from the northeast.

Yes. Lehigh offered my recent high stats high school grad (S27) from California - Engineering major - a Dean’s Scholarship. Merit. $15K/year renewable for up to 8 semesters. Brought COA from $79K/year to $64K/year. I think there are also a handful of full- and half-tuition merit scholarships at Lehigh.

My daughter received half tuition plus another science award. This was awhile ago but I looked and they are still given.

Deleted. Saw it was already answered.

2 Likes

https://stampsps.gatech.edu/

1 Like

Confused on CPSLO and UMD. Neither makes sense given cost desires.

UMD is a target, not safety. The other year (can’t say now), their ‘essays’ were finish this sentence etc. so quick and easy.

If you apply far and wide then you can apply to UMD. My son had similar stats. Got $5k. Daughter $0.

It’s admissions turned is very sharp upward meaning harder to get into than b4.

Is Banneker Key possible ? Of course. But I don’t think we should act like it’s a good chance. Many with OPs stats don’t make Honors - and UMD isn’t an easy admit.

Even for admission, it’s a target. No sure bet. CPSLO - at $30k budget - I don’t see how even b4 the new fee kicked in.

6 Likes

Paging @AustenNut

Correct me if I’m wrong and maybe it’s in the chat but I think it’s you or @eyemgh that recommends U Louisville Speed School of Engineerimg to those interested in Cal Poly. Looks like OP could get COA to $25k or so.l if merit comes in at $15k (the max). First thing their website says is Learn by Doing.

I don’t think that’s the case for most engineering programs. Learn by Doing.

So might be a budget meeting school that would be more realistic than some of the others. And a very good school.

4 Likes