Chance Me: Asian Male (Valedictorian) from Alabama with high hopes in MechE [3.98, 33, $25-30k]

Safeties:

Auburn
Alabama
UAH

Targets:

RIT
UMD
Ohio State
Cal Poly Slo
UNL
U-W Madison

Reaches:

Georgia Tech
Purdue
Michigan
UIUC
USC
CMU
Cornell
Duke
Vanderbilt
Columbia
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
WashU

1 Like

That list seems realistic enough. But that’s a LOT of reach schools
meaning a lot of essays, and a lot of money to apply and send the CSS Profile. But the list seems well varied.

UMD is only a target if you apply early action.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same. I’d personally cut the reach list down to ~4 schools. You should have plenty of options with your safeties and targets.

1 Like

I think UIUC and Purdue might be targets for if you apply EA.

I agree you may have too many reaches, making it challenging to write effective essays. A couple of them aren’t even particularly strong for engineering.

For all these schools on your list, plan which ones you’ll apply to EA/REA/ED/RD.

There’s of course the question of affordability but since you and your parents don’t want to discuss it, I won’t go there.

2 Likes

Yes I plan on it.

Most of the safety and targets don’t have essays. That is why I feel comfortable with that number of reaches.

Thank you for the input. I will start putting which round I will apply in and post it in here.

How many reaches should I have?

There’s no hard number, but 13 seems too much (or 11, counting UIUC and Purdue as targets). 6-7 might be more manageable, but it’s really up to you and how much you can research each school in detail. You’ll need to know each school thoroughly so you can write meaningful “why school?” essays and not write generic lines like “I love the unique research opportunities” (without saying what exactly is unique and why those opportunities are a good fit for you).

5 Likes

For how many can you write thoughtful, well-researched, and personalized essays? Ditto for various short answer prompts. And then for the schools that consider the level of demonstrated interest, how many can you show significant demonstrated interest for (opening the emails, attending virtual tours and meetings, visiting campus representatives when they come to your area, posing specific questions that can’t be answered via info on the website)? Combine all of those factors with the number of schools that your family is willing and able to pay both the application fee and CSS fee.

So the number of reaches really varies depending on the drive and willingness of the student. With respect to your reaches, I would suggest that you start applying to the schools that you care about most and then work toward those that you’re less interested in. That way if you realize that you’re done with the process, the schools you’re most interested in will already be completed.

5 Likes

Be aware that some schools will have extra essays for honors and merit scholarships that you will be invited to apply to after you submit the common app.

My D applied to 8 schools and had to write 19 unique essays.

8 Likes

This is what I was planning on doing.

From my reaches list the only school that I found that track interest is WashU and I have been to a virtual meeting and asked about several different things.

Is this only after being accepted or in the middle of the process?

It varies from school to school. At one of my kid’s colleges, the honors college application was a doozie
I think there were 6 or 7 essays of varying lengths (University of South Carolina).

3 Likes

WashU does not track interest. Common Questions - Undergraduate Admissions | Washington University in St. Louis.

You have to go to each school’s website to understand how to apply, the deadlines, what factors they value/measure, what essays they have and when those are due, etc.

It’s best not to use 3rd party sites that often have incorrect and/or outdated information, which is probably why you think WashU tracks interest.

3 Likes

It was school dependent but most of the schools had invites to apply to honors and scholarships a few weeks after submitting the common app. But, one school sent an additional scholarship invite in January which was months after she applied.

2 Likes

My counselor told me that they track interest. I guess not.

To get one final answer. Is it worth it to take the ACT again or should I just not submit a test if I am not in the 75th percentile.

I’m sorry to hear that. HS GCs are not infallible and can’t know everything
so my advice is to do your own research and also verify what your GC (and others) say.

If you are at or above the median submit your scores. It’s a harder call if your score is in the 25th-50th percentile. Do not submit if you are below the 25%ile. (This is the general guidance, there can be reasons to deviate from this)

In the spreadsheet that you are using to track important information, use Class of 2027 test score data when you can find it. If you can’t find that, use Class of 2026.

Once you have done that, let us know the schools where the 33 is above the median, between 25%-50%, and below 25%ile.

ETA: How many times have you taken the ACT and how much did you prepare? How do you feel about taking it again? Do you think you can improve your science and reading scores?

I took it 4 times and had to prep a lot for it. My best score came during this June where I studied for 20 days straight by just taking full timed test. IDK if I can improve science and reading. They have just been so hit or miss. 3 of my science scores were 26 and then 31. Reading was a 21 at one point.

1 Like

You’ve made great improvements, congrats.

I would not take it again, I don’t think your test score will be the reason you are accepted or not to your reach schools. But I’m not an AO.

IMO, your time can be best spent by working on college essays and apps, and enjoying the rest of the summer.

6 Likes

I can’t access UMD’s common dataset because it’s some sort of file. Could someone please try for me. Thank you.