Chance me BS - student-athlete (soccer)

International student (Latin American)
Male
11th grade (Reclass - Fall 2024)
Applying for 100% financial aid.
GPA: 3.90/4.00
(Starting IB Program this year 2023-2024)
SAT – not yet
Duolingo: 110
Essays – Basic

Debate Summer Camp 2021 & 2023

Intended major: Engineering/Economics

Academic Recognitions 2022-2023:

-High Honors Award
-Team Player Award
-Leadership Award
-Critical Thinking Award
-Business Fair (Entrepreneurship) Award
-Team Spirit Award.
-Intramurals Entrepreneurship
Tournament
1st Place - Team Captain

Sports

-Soccer
Club Level:

• 2023 U19 National Championship (Team member)
  • 2022 U15 State Championship - 1st Place - Team Captain
  • 2022 U16 National Championship - 2nd Place
  • 2022 U16 International Cup - 3rd Place
  • 2019 Intramural Christmas Classic - MVP Recognition

School Level:

• 2023 U16 National Cup - Semi-finalist - Team member
  • 2023 U19 Invitational Soccer Cup - 1st Place - Best Defensive Player Award
  • 2019 U14 National Cup - Quarterfinalist
  • 2018 (Sport & Cultural Exchange Program) - Tennessee, USA

-Judo:
Club Level:

• 2018 National Team - Junior Pan American Judo Championships, Ecuador
  • 2015-2018 (4x) Gold Medal Judo International Cup
  • 2015 State Athlete of the Year
  • 2015 Gold Medal - International Cup, Puerto Rico
  • 2014 Silver Medal - US Open Judo Championships, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Work Experience:

Soccer Summer Camp - 2023 Jul (3 weeks) - Coach Assistant

Soccer Academy Training - 2023 Jan-Apr (3 months) - Coach Assistant

Civil Engineering/Architecture - Shadowing - 2023 Jun (25 hours)

Volunteering

• Volunteer Interpreter - 2023 - June (1 week)

Mission trip from USA high school - Building a sport court for low-income communities

• Community Service Club - Sept 2018 – May 2022

Volunteer – Fundraising, food drive, recreational activities.

Personality: Leader, hardworking, empathic and respectful.

Boarding Schools:

-Northfield Mount Hermon

-The Taft School

-Milton Academy

-Lawrenceville School

-Hotchkiss School

-Mercersburg Academy

-Kent School

-The Woodstock Academy

Please chance me. Thank you!

1 Like

You might consider some schools that are a bit easier to get admitted to, especially South Kent and Berkshire, traditionally soccer powerhouses. I would add the Salisbury School to the mix.

There are agents /people that work to place international soccer players at boarding schools. It’s worth reaching out to John Moodey at Northwood, as well as Matt Kokozka https://www.gespeducation.com/team. Depending on your goals, this program might be worth looking into: Woodstock Academy begins boys prep soccer program this fall

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback! I will also consider those BS. Do you have any comments about my academic profile for being accepted in those first mentioned?

Agree with this, please consider looking into Berkshire and Salisbury. Avon Old Farms is another suggestion.

1 Like

I definitely cannot chance you! Because I have zero experience with international admissions. I suspect soccer is going to be the thing that gets you in to any of these schools. I would reach out to all the coaches and send a highlight tape to them sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I’ll consider Avon Old Farms too.

Okay, I understand. I’ll take that into account, so I’ll contact them ASAP. Thanks!

How did you develop your list? I ask because soccer seems particularly important to you and yet you include schools that have mediocre soccer programs such as Kent, Lawrenceville and Mercersburg (check out results on their websites). Are you primarily wanting to use soccer to boost your chance of admissions or do you also want to play in college? If the latter, you may want to prioritize schools known for soccer such as these others you list as well as possibly Loomis, Choate, Andover, etc. (and Salisbury is improving under a relatively new coach but I think they still have a ways to go – if you want all boys and good soccer, Avon is probably the better option)

1 Like

Also, if you haven’t done so already, you may want to check out results from past NEPSAC tournaments to get a better sense for strong New England soccer programs in classes A, B, C and D:

And I agree that you should send an introductory email (very professional – no grammatical mistakes or typos!) and a link to a 4-5 minute highlight reel to coaches at any schools of interest. All the schools mentioned in this thread are excellent in terms of academics, facilities, resources, etc. and so it may come down to your fit with the soccer coach and team that really determines your success and level of enjoyment. So initiate those relationships as soon as you can. Good luck!

Since you need a 100% scholarship, consider the three wealthiest boarding schools (Phillips Academy at Andover, Phillips Exeter Acadmy, & St. Paul’s School in Concord, New Hampshire).

You need a standardized test score–SAT.

Based on your success at judo, you may want to try prep school wrestling. If so inclined, the two best in the US are Wyoming Seminary in Pennsylvania (about one-third are boarding students and Blair Academy in New Jersey.) At Wyoming Seminary, you will certainly meet several world class athletes in wrestling. Same should be true for Blair.

Fyi, Hotchkiss soccer is very weak. A school that you may not have come across but might consider is Millbrook. They used to be pretty bad at soccer, but now with a more professional coach and with soccer now being a priority for the school (meaning, they recruit seriously) you might look into them.

It’s a great school even without the soccer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I want soccer to boost my profile and help me get a the best scholarship possible. I’ll take into account those schools you mentioned.

Thank you for replying!

What you said about those schools makes a lot of sense, so I’ll take them into account.

I’ll add my standarized test score soon!

Thanks for thinking in Judo, I’ll think about it because I haven’t practiced since I’m 12. Anyways that is good to know for other options.

Thanks!

Thanks for replying again! I’ll take a look. Sounds interesting.

That is exactly what I’m looking for, a school with good athletic and academic programs!