Chance Me For College Prep Schools

I am a female 8th-grade student at a private, independent day school. I have attended the school for 12 years as it’s Pre-K through 8th. I should note that it teaches at least a year ahead in all subjects. I speak both French and English and would describe myself as a humanities-focused student. I am also a practicing Jew and have been raised as such, which has given me a unique outlook on life with antisemitism on the rise. I am extremely active in leadership communities, and I’ll touch on the specifics later. My school also has connections with almost all of the schools I am applying to.

I feel as if I also should mention that I am twice exceptional (2E), meaning I am highly gifted but struggle with learning disorders. I am currently diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive type), Sensory Processing Disorder, and Visual Processing Disorder. I also am physically disabled, and I struggle with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (or POTS for short), type thirteen of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue.

Grades:

In trimester one of 8th grade, I had mostly high B’s, with an A in math and P.E.

In 7th grade, I had an overall grade average of A-, the only exception being B’s in math. This year I also took my science fair to State, and won Silver there.

Debate:

I am currently a Policy Debater, and have interest in creating a policy debate team wherever I go to school, as it is my passion. My debate credentials are as followed, excluding this year as I don’t think it fair to include an incomplete season.

Year One, Novice:

1st Place as a Team x2
2nd Place as a Team x1
2nd overall speaker (I was less than a tenth of a point away from first, which was my partner) x1
6th overall speaker x1
5th overall speaker x1

We were seeded 1st in the state, and we won, officially making us the top novice team in the state. We went 5-0 in every round.

Year Two, Junior Varsity:
5th Place as a team x1
3rd Place as a team x1
1st Place as a team x3
2nd overall speaker x2
5th overall speaker x1
3rd overall speaker x1

We were seeded 1st in the state this year as well. We placed 4th in the state, by a decision of 2-3.

Leadership:

I am on the local holocaust museum’s teen board at the youngest age possible, and it’s a select board, with only 27 members, and over 200 applicants.

I’m also in my 5th year of student government.

Test scores:

SSAT: 91st percentile (Verbal 93, Quant 81, Reading 95)
ISEE: 94th percentile (Verbal 94, Quant 78, Reading 91)

Extracurriculars:

I play the guitar, and I have been in choir for 4 years.

I am in Girl Scouts, and it’s my 6th year.

I figure skate (freestyle 3), and I am in my 5th year skating and have won several awards doing that.

Skating awards:

1st in a team x12
2nd as a team x4
3rd as a team x2

1st as a soloist x8
2nd as a soloist x5
3rd as a soloist x2

I’m applying to Hotchkiss, Choate, Andover, Peddie, Exeter, Lake Forest Academy, Lawrenceville, Thatcher, St. Andrews, Emma Williard, Cranbrook, Kent, and Madeira. Chances?

2 Likes

You seem like a super interesting candidate and someone who has a lot to add to a school community.
(I’ll caveat that I can’t speak to the ability of these schools to offer support for the disorders you mentioned.)
You have an interesting mix of schools! St. Andrew’s and Exeter and cranbrook and Emma…they couldn’t be more different if you tried! So I can’t quite grasp the thread here. But these are all wonderful schools in their own right.
Keep us posted – I’m cheering you on!

2 Likes

You might be accepted by some of the schools you mentioned, but it might not be the best thing for you to go to any of them. Given the 2E and the physical disabilities you have described, I would think being near the support only parents and family can provide–and by “near,” I basically mean living at home–would be better for you than living at some far off boarding school, which simply are not set up to provide the kinds of support you may need. Also, though virtually all of the boarding schools you mentioned would have some Jewish kids who participate in their faith at varying levels, I wouldn’t say the same about Orthodox, if that’s what you mean by calling yourself a “practicing” Jew. I think you might feel lonely away from home and your local shul.

2 Likes

My super close friend told me to put my stats up for fun- I’m not going to any of these schools due to the range away from home, even though I applied to a few. I actually got a full scholarship for leadership at a local private school, and I took it! Since I’m just a bit of a wild card, with a lot all across the board, I thought it would be interesting to keep you guys posted :slight_smile:

I replied to this thread, but I’ll also reply here. These were just some of my prospective schools, my really good friend who IS applying to them said it could just be interesting to get an outward perspective. I got a full scholarship to a local school, and I’m going to be going there, as it is linked with a bunch of really good colleges. Thanks for the support though.

Excellent, congratulations! Glad you have a great option.

I don’t think adhd and intense boarding schools are a good combination (2 of my sons have adhd) so I think you made a good choice.

4 Likes

I was a bit nervous about taking it, but I ultimately decided it would be best as it’s a small school so I can get the attention that I need, but I also have the ability to start a Policy Debate team! It was a tad bit stressful because I didn’t have a great deal of time to decide, and it’s been about a week since I decided, but I’m quite happy with my decision to be honest. I plan on majoring in something humanities-related (or neuroscience. I’m not totally sure yet, but I love them both) and the school I’m going to has a very strong humanities program, so I’m in great shape for college as well.

I cant chance you since i’m not an ao (or even applying this cycle) but you’re like me but humanities instead of stem (math nerd here) I’m also a practicing jew, girl scout of 10 years now, 2e (autism and adhd), i did debate, i did ice hockey and skating too! I also sing in my schools choir as one of 2 tenors :laughing:. I also am almost fluent in french.

good luck :blush:

edit: just saw your update. i think you made the right choice. i left bs because my adhd could not deal. i was fine academically and i could focus on school but socially was just soooo behind. i’m at lps now and i love it so much. 3 varsity teams, conference champ runner (hopefully will do good at counties so i can go to states), a school record, super involved in clubs and overall just so much happier with my decision to come home.

5 Likes

Wow! Impressive. I applaud your search.
Feel free to DM me, as you are a hybrid of both of my children whom are away at school.

Both are African American:

Daughter, 18 is a HS senior. ADHD, honors student, doing a post-grad year at prep school in Minnesota, playing elite level ice hockey and previously attended Choate. She will ply D1 Ice Hockey next year and possibly try out for the USA Women’s Team.

Son is 16. 2E / ADHD / High IQ finished 10th grade at Ohio boarding school with a slew of academic awards. He received early college acceptance last Summer and is finishing up Freshman year at UIowa as an honors student & early college acceptance in their program for 1 dozen 16year old gifted students in College. Additionally, the same program has a 2E academy. He is also a champion GoKart racer and race car driver (like Indy 500) and is currently on Netflix.

Happy to share our experiences and what we’ve encountered.