Chance me for engineering or university studies

<p>I'm applying early decision to VirginiaTech. I am hoping to get into engineering, but I would like to at least be accepted for general admission.</p>

<ul>
<li>Avon High School </li>
<li>3.52 weighted</li>
<li>our school's transcripts do not include unweighted so I am not sure of the unweighted (B average) </li>
<li>1290 SAT [690 math][600 writing]</li>
<li>4 years crew team</li>
<li>adaptive ski instructor volunteer (for disabled)</li>
<li>tons of service hours for random church stuff</li>
<li>submitting a well written supplementary essay</li>
</ul>

<p>Senor courses-
AP calculus AB
AP computer Sciences
H Physics
CAD 2 H
English 12 H
French V AP</p>

<p>My transcripts show a trend of starting HS with mostly CP classes and then adding more Honors classes every year while mainting grades ranging from B- to A-</p>

<p>Any chance at all?</p>

<p>I have not heard of your high school, are you out of state for Tech?</p>

<p>Yes, I would say you have a chance but probably it would be for university studies rather than engineering to start. Good luck and by all means apply.</p>

<p>^^sorry yes I live in CT.</p>

<p>I’m going to say you have a good chance. My son was accepted into engineering (we live in western MA) with lower SATs (1220) but a higher wGPA (3.89). The key really is “Have you taken a challenging course load in HS?” Your senior year courses look good and if you’ve challenged yourself up to now I think you will be OK.</p>

<p>I know Avon, CT and I’m going to guess it has a quality HS. They will look at that.</p>

<p>In your essay emphasize your volunteer activities. They take “Ut Prosim” seriously and they want students that are engaged in more than academics.</p>

<p>Good luck and keep us posted.</p>

<p>I’d say you won’t get accepted early decision for engineering. My son had similar stats as yours (higher GPA (3.9), little lower on SAT math -640- and very similar course rigor) and did not get either early or regular decision for engineering. Early decision for Engineering is VERY competitive, they are looking for the unquestionable cream of the crop at that point. All others that look ‘just good’ will get deferred until regular admission in order to see their senior year grades.</p>

<p>VA Tech does not give much weight to essays and extra curriculars, so focus on your SAT and GPA numbers and course rigor.</p>

<p>My son did get regular admission into University Studies and is poised to transfer into the Engineering major after this fall semester, based on the college course work he has taken in the summer (intro. eng. course at community college) and the courses he is currently taking at Tech.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you (although we know it’s not luck - its hard work)!!</p>

<p>I hadn’t realized that I was able to apply both early decision and regular decision. I had also figured that I would have more of a chance with early than regular decision.</p>

<p>If you don’t get accepted in Early Decision you will automatically be re-evaluated in Regular Decision - no penalty at all for not getting ‘Early’. No harm at all in trying Early. </p>

<p>With Engineering, (again, unless your extraordinary at Early decision time), I think the more ‘average’ people have a better chance at Regular Decision time (more time to improve SATs, GPA, etc.). They will let you know if you are deferred until Regular time that that is what they want to see over your upcoming semster. Other less competative majors, maybe not much difference - but keep in mind, if you accept Early Decision with Tech you pay a non-refundable fee at that point - you are committing to attend at that point.</p>

<p>Hope this makes sense - do some research on Tech’s website regarding the process for a better understanding.</p>