Chance Me for Schools

Decent in-state odds for UGA, a little less so for GT. The usual horrible odds as all transfer applicants to all the highly-rejective T20USNWR schools. It’s worth a shot if this is your (or your parents’) ultimate end goal.

It looks like you had this plan to transfer after your sophomore year before you even graduated high school and before you enrolled in your current college. Because you’ve had this planned for so long, I assume you did a lot of research and did all the things suggested by so-called transfer-gurus.

Good luck. And let us know how it goes.

1 Like

I am concerned about the same thing. To me it looks like @Ditr is doing very well right now at Georgia State University.

The difference between already knowing your professors and being a star student where you are now versus being an unknown new transfer student is IMHO likely to be more important than the difference between Georgia State versus a different university.

No where is perfect. There are opportunities at a wide range of universities.

Your list of where you are applying to transfer might IMHO be at least a good start (a somewhat long start) on schools to instead consider for a master’s degree after you get your bachelor’s where you are, and possibly also after getting a bit of work experience.

Congratulations on your achievements in college. Our S20 got accepted into two top 20 USNNWR schools as a junior transfer. He did give up a lot by leaving his school, but he could not be happier with his decision. Good for you that you want to go for it. There’s a tremendous power to positive thinking.

Our S worked hard on his essays and why he wanted to transfer to the particular school. IMO if you are in business now, I would be looking at schools with a business program. Economics is a great major but not the same as business.

1 Like

For sure in fact, I wanna use transferring as a way to recalibrate myself to economics. I find Econ is my passion and not so much business like I thought it was.

For sure, I know I will be. But there are labs at the schools I’m looking at that relate to my specific research interest and I’m sure a year of metworking with professors and keeping the same mentality I’ve had thus far will help secure those spots.

Yup! Just been collecting knowledge and biding my time. Thank you for the wishes, I pray it works out.

The whole point of transferring is to get into a better name where you can get paid research opps. The pay for undergrad research is remarkably standardized for both in-term & summer work- and it’s not a lot. Your ability to take further paid work will be limited.

Have you run the npc for any of these? Worse than not getting would be getting in & finding out that you can’t afford it!

Sort of, that information is something my parents keep to themselves and then they tell me what schools I can apply to. And I’m not really looking at paid research, that was never in my line of sight. I wanted research as something core to what I deem as education, so research being paid or unpaid in my eyes is superfluous.

I am genuinely confused. You indicated that a catalyst for transferring is there is no budget for UG student research. What do you think it means for a prof to have funding for UG students to do research? If they aren’t being paid there is no need for funding. If they are being paid via course credit there is no need for funding.

Back to WUSTL and applying for aid. Why not there yet at the others?

Do your parents understand the financial differences of your current vs. future? Are they aware they’ll be over $80K per?

1 Like

Reading the tea leaves, it appears this is driven by rankings+prestige. WUSL has the requisite ranking, but my guess is the name doesn’t carry the proper prestige to be worthy of the family paying full cost. Cornell is one spot behind WUSL, but Cornell is Ivy and meets the bar to be worthy of full pay. Their decision, their money, their reasons.

It’s no big deal. We don’t have to agree with their logic. All we can do is provide information and let them make the decision they feel is best for them.

2 Likes

But if they’re need blind….as Cornell is. So my question remains.

Applying for aid doesn’t = getting.

But the logic makes no sense. To me at least.

But OP never answered. Your logic may or may not be what OP is thinking. Wish they’d answer.

1 Like

Actually, they’re not. Hence why I’m going full-pay. There’s fine-print that WUSTL is only able to cover 100% need for 1st year, domestic applicants. This essentially means that applying for aid at WUSTL would be like shooting myself in the foot. I don’t know how good of an applicant I am, so I don’t want to take needless risks if I can avoid them.

2 Likes

OK - so I found that on their website. So can your parents afford $80K +? Note - if they can, then they’re not going to get money anywhere.

So you need to find out if they can afford that. If they can’t, why apply there? Your resources would be better invested elsewhere.

But clearly you’ve done your homework. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you fare.

I’m applying to WUSTL because there’s a huge emphasis on theoretical economic research as well as that link between Finance and economics. Firstly we can look at the recent Nobel Laureate Dr. Dybvig who teaches at Olin. His research was super involved with how banks influence the economy and how banks themselves cause bank runs by messing with the macroeconomy. Secondly, there are professors at both Olin and CAS Econ at WUSTL who are doing the research I’m interested in, one of which runs a lab I’m interested in. I don’t think I’ll be able to afford 80K but thankfully it’s non-binding. So, if a better deal comes down the road then I’ll go with that

OK - but if you can’t afford $80K, then apply for need. Even if they’re not need blind, you still have a chance of getting in and getting need $.

Why not run the net price calculator (for all) to see how the cost might stack up?

Nothing worse than getting accepted somewhere and you have no chance to attend.

1 Like