Chance Me for Swarthmore and Tufts

Demographics

• US domestic
  • State/Location of residency: Florida
  • Type of high school: private, college prep
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: female, she/her, white
  • Other special factors: none

Intended Major(s)

• I put Child Study and Human Development as first choice, Social Justice Anthropology as second choice, and Fibers third choice for Tufts.
  • I put Anthropology as first choice and Educational Studies as second choice for Swarthmore.

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0 (My school only officially reports weighted, but I got an A+ in every class)
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.71 (Honors is a .5 bump and AP is a 1 bump, e.g. an A+ is a 4.3 in regular, 4.8 in honors, 5.3 in AP)
  • Class Rank: My school doesn’t rank, but my class is around 90 students if that means anything.
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1570 SAT superscore (790 English, 780 Math) I took it twice, both in sophomore year, although I doubt that makes a difference.

Coursework

5 APs

• 9th: none (My school didn’t allow freshman to take APs)
  • 10th: AP CSP (5)
  • 11th: AP Lang (5), AP Calc AB (5)
  • 12th: AP Psych, AP Stats
  • This is the area I’m most worried about since my school allowed up to 10 APs and I only took half of that and they were mostly easy ones.

Foreign Language

• 3 years of Korean online: two in 9th and one in 10th
  • 1 year of Hebrew online: summer before 11th
  • I didn’t take any foreign language after that, although I think my Hebrew class is listed on my transcript as first semester 11th.

Other

• 10th: Theory and Practice of Learning
  • 11th: Independent Study: Theory of Grading
  • 3-D Design: intro in 11th, honors in 12th

Awards

• National Merit Semifinalist
  • Florida Holocaust Museum Anne Frank Humanitarian Award (11th)
  • AP Scholar
  • NHS
  • Mu Alpha Theta
  • National Art Honor Society
  • Scholastic Art and Writing Awards: Honorable Mention for Digital Art (9th)

Extracurriculars

Work

• GT School Summer Intern, summer before 12th, 40 hrs/wk (I helped build a math program for an online ed-tech start-up that wants to accelerate learning for motivated students.)
  • GT School Math Student Analyst, 12th, 10 hrs/wk (I’m basically helping build and run the AP Calc program with a bunch of other students right now.)

Volunteering

• Warm Up America, 10-12th (I crochet blankets, clothes, etc. and donate them. I have about 200 hours from this.)
  • Florida Holocaust Museum, 9th (50-60ish hours)

Clubs

• Copy Editor of school newspaper, 12th
  • Co-President of Feminism Club, 12th (member in 11th)
  • Founding Member of Human Rights Club, 11-12th
  • Pride Club, 9-12th

Other

• Speedcubing, 11-12th, PB: 15.98 (It’s just a hobby, I haven’t done any competitions.)
  • Guitar, since I was 6 (also just a hobby)

Essays/LORs/Other

• I think my essays are good, although some are maybe a little strange.
  • My Common App essay is about how I don’t like lettuce, but at the end I revealed that it’s a metaphor for being asexual.
  • My LORs are from my AP Lang and AP Calc teachers.

Cost Constraints/Budget

• N/A, not applying for financial aid

Schools

I made posts for my original applications and when I decided to last-minute apply to Dartmouth and Brown, and I also just decided to apply to Swarthmore and Tufts. Now I’m actually done!! lol

I wasn’t able to request an interview for Swarthmore since they’re full, but I did request one for Tufts.

Thank you!! :blush:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you received an acceptance to either Swarthmore or Tufts. You have strong stats and some interesting ECs. You will probably want to take a look at the Common Data Sets for both to see how they rank rigor…but the fact that you have all 5s is good, esp. for Calc AB. If you’re not accepted, it’s probably not for this reason alone. Were all of your foreign language classes online, or were the online classes extras that you took primarily for fun?

2 Likes

I checked out the CDSs, unfortunately they do rank rigor as very important. And all the foreign language classes I took were online, only the ones I listed. I can see how that might count against me since I didn’t continue with it or take the courses offered at my school in addition…Whatever happens happens! Thanks for the advice!!

1 Like

I believe both schools have EDII. I would strongly recommend applying to one of them EDII. Revisit essays before submitting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.