Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

Then your only real option is UMass. Take some time to process that.

Northeastern isn’t promising you anything beyond the Oakland admit. They used “if” and “could consider” for a reason.

To not go to UMass leaves you with nothing. The notion of applying next year is not realistic. You would be competing against an entirely new group who have watched this admissions process and upped their game. They will be submitting AP classes in math and science, higher test scores, and no big question about a gap year.

3 Likes

At this point, I don’t know either. My head is spinning from all of the opinions and suggestions I’ve recently gotten. /sighing

What I do know is I’ll talk to my parents about UMass and figure out how to convince them on UMass- because I agree with you guys (God, I swear I do)- but my parents are also trying to talk about a gap year and I need to sit down and figure out first what I truly want (without the noise)- and then approach my folks about it. My gut is telling me UMass, so… we’ll see. /thoughtful, slowly, musing

3 Likes

I doubt it. If they based admissions on perseverance, you would have already gotten in :slightly_smiling_face:. Look at the NE data set where they state what they consider. Academic rigor is probably the most important. Look at the page here that shows students who were admitted to Northeastern and see how your rigor stacks up. GPA is less of an indicator because it matters what classes you got those A’s in.

2 Likes

Where we live (CA bay area), NEU is well known, but not necessarily considered a super prestigious school. The kids who choose NEU specifically are looking for the co-ops and study abroad. They like the idea that they will have the opportunity to travel all over the place, work at different companies, and integrate this all into their NEU degree in a seamless way. (My own kid applied to NEU for this reason.) Kids are also attracted by the fact that NEU is a private school that will sometimes hand out big merit scholarships (unlike many other privates), although they seem to be handing out less money lately.

For someone who does not want to travel, however, I confess that I do not really understand the extent of the attraction to this particular school, to the point of trying to shoehorn it into a fall 2024 transfer thing.

4 Likes

I worry about your potential test score given the struggle with math. And this doesn’t change that you’re in pre calc as a senior and that would have been a huge red flag at most of your list.

Have you taken a sample SAT or ACT ? Or could you to see how you’d do ?

2 Likes

I mean this with love, as a mom, as a teacher, as a person 100% rooting for you- you have not gotten a lot of suggestions and opinions… it’s all of us telling you the same thing.

11 Likes

If you take sufficient community college classes, you are going to put yourself in the the transfer category and miss out on a year of residential college. But you won’t be able to go to NE in fall 2024 unless you take enough classes to be a sophomore. So, this gap year you are suggesting isn’t really an option unless you want to give up on the NE option.

4 Likes

Concerning to hear that you might turn down UMass for a gap year. If you chance on reapplying, you could end up with nothing or a lesser opportunity than you have now. Unless you have significant plans, then a gap year really serves no purpose.

5 Likes

Yeah. I know. And I’m taking it into account. /honestly, admittedly

1 Like

Even then, Northeastern, unless I am reading it wrong, is not guaranteeing that transfer.

4 Likes

Yea , I agree , it isn’t guaranteed. Just want to make sure op and his parents understand the gap year idea won’t even get them where they would need to be for the potential NE transfer offer.

2 Likes

Happy Saturday! I can tell that the posters here absolutely mean the best for you. The Mama and Papa Bears are on your side for sure, OP! I also fully respect that your family’s need to do what’s right for your family. No one else can understand exactly what you all have been through especially when it comes to the health challenges you have on top of all this!

FWIW here are my thoughts. Hubby and I were classic high level ambitious students and grown ups in our younger years. Real life and parenthood intervened and we have 3 unique children including D23. She has a life threatening disease - though not a rare one like yours - that she will have to cope with for years to come.

I would have given anything for her to go to UMass! We visited 2x from the West Coast and were blown away with everything about it! WOW! The people, the vibe, the diversity, the high quality of all these things. The surrounding area is beyond amazing -the absolute perfect college town in every way. Also there is the access to elite LAC’s.

Truly, there are hundreds and hundreds of private schools that can’t hold a candle to UMass Amherst IMO.

D23 is a bio major but had to turn UMass down. Why? Mainly because she was intimidated. The caliber of the other Natural sciences students she met at admitted students’ day was jaw dropping. These folks had their act together, were focused and intense and congenial to boot. It was just a high caliber student body everywhere we turned. Particularly in STEM. For D23 she just isn’t there yet, as tough as it was to admit it. She’ll get there in her own time but that’s her story.

So I think you and your parents would be pretty amazed if you visited the STEM folks. As a parent I prefer a large public university for STEM to a large private university that is more focused on getting people jobs. D23 and I are admittedly academic snobs from that perspective. For premed you want true academia IMO.

As for concerns about living farther from home - that I get! We are sending D23 across the country with her issues and people are horrified! It is another reason she turned down UMass - she will be on her own to get to her medical resources and needed easier access to Boston and possibly Providence. In your case you have a place to stay in the Boston area and parents not too far away - that to me seems like the ideal option to help you embrace this new phase in life and go for it!

Ultimately, You do you!

/warmly, affectionally, supportive of what you decide

(To the other parents here, I think the case has been incredibly well made for UMass. I’ve found that sometimes the frying pan can have a paralyzing affect on it’s beneficiary when applied too frequently :wink: Just my humble opinion - not telling anyone what to post.)

10 Likes

No. Not really.

1 Like

Thank you, so much. I definitely will speak to my folks about UMass. And yes, I can see the case for UMass is made quite heavily! And I do really appreciate it. All the “parents” on this thread- I really am grateful for everyone here. /warmly

I’ll see what my folks have to say on the matter (for UMass) /thoughtfully

I’ll keep y’all updated. /warmly

3 Likes

I’ve been following this thread for quite awhile, but haven’t weighed in, but am doing so now out of concern. It seems that the options you are considering as being compatible with each other are actually mutually exclusive, which could cause you to make an irreparable choice that you might regret.

1. From the wording you posted above (“This exemption allows you take classes elsewhere and join your cohort and program in fall of 2024 in Boston”), it appears the NEU is possibly willing to let you attend another local school this year (instead of attending their Oakland campus) and still allow you to transfer back to the Boston campus in fall 2024. This offer (which is definitely not a guarantee) is not that you can take a gap year and start next year at NEU as a first year student. You have to do a year’s worth of college somewhere to preserve NEU - they’re just maybe offering to let you off the hook of going to Oakland.

2. Assuming the best case scenario - that their possible offer to allow you to take a year at a local school (rather than Oakland) and then return to Boston as a sophomore becomes an actual offer, you would not be able to take a gap year and re-apply to a bunch of Boston area schools. What NEU is possibly going to allow you to do is essentially replace the Oakland year with a year at a local college - they’re not offering to allow you to take a gap year!

3. You and your parents seem to be assuming, if I’m reading your posts correctly, that NEU might let you start next year as a freshman. This assumption might lead you to turn down UMASS. But, if you do that, then you would have to find a community college to attend for a year in order to actually be able to attend NEU as a sophomore in fall 2024.

4. There’s a second assumption here that other posters have mentioned a bunch of times, which is the assumption that you have at least some shot of being accepted to schools that denied you this cycle if you take a gap year. That is incredibly unlikely. I have never heard of that happening. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it is super super unlikely to happen. This is not due to anything personal to you, it’s just that colleges are really unlikely to change their minds.

5. The upshot of all of this. DON’T TURN DOWN YOUR SPOT AT UMASS! You can’t both 1) preserve the potential spot at NEU in fall 2024 and 2) re-apply to the Boston area schools that turned you down this cycle. You have to choose one or the other path. Due to the extremely low chance that a school that previously denied you would change its mind, the obvious choice is to take the spot at UMass unless you would honestly be OK staying at home and take CC classes for the year, or unless you’re prepared to apply to a whole new set of schools during your gap year.

Really really sincerely wishing you peace as you’re figuring all of this out, as I know this has all been incredibly difficult and stressful.

6 Likes

First time poster but felt compelled to offer you some advice - is it possible to have your parents talk to one (or multiple) of your doctors to get their advice?
I ask because our Valedictorian who is pre-med (as did his Valedictorian and Salutatorian sisters before him) is going to the University of Houston (Honors College) over many other choices including our well regarded state flagship (University of Texas at Austin). Their parents (a pharmacologist and a doctor) pushed them all to make this choice because they understand that for med school applications it is generally more important what you accomplish at college than the specific ranking/reputation of college (within reason of course).

Wishing you all the best in whatever you decide.

6 Likes

I sincerely, honestly, thank everyone for their (collective) thoughts on UMass. I’ll bring it up to my folks when we get home. /happily, thoughtful

And wait for my next post- I’ll keep everyone updated. /warmly

2 Likes

That’s true - I had forgotten about that since our D23 isn’t premed. Isn’t the prevailing strategy for getting into med school in the USA having the highest GPA and MCAT possible? The school itself is not a huge factor (though one DOES need to be sufficiently prepared for med school’s rigor)

4 Likes

Whatever you do, send in that deposit to umass and apply for housing and choose your classes, even without telling your parents! You can continue discussions with your parents, but that way, you keep this amazing opportunity on the table. There is nothing you can do in the next 6 months that would change your admissions outcome, were you to gap yr and apply again. You were already rejected from every prestigious school in the boston area, plus many from all over the country. You run the chance of becoming isolated and depressed if you take a gap yr. You got a fantastic offer from umass. Make sure you dont let it slip thru your fingers. I doubt they will offer you the same again, should you turn this down. If you get fantastic grades there, and want to transfer, which i strongly doubt, you can transfer to NEU or apply to other schools as a transfer.

OP, i am saying this with sincerity and concern and as someone who is raising a child with severe, progressive disabilities.

You need to be realistic. You are an adult now. Your parents, even though they are adults, are not being realistic.

You have exactly ONE option and that is enrolling at UMass now.

NEU has rejected you. They will continue to reject you. They haven’t even guaranteed you acceptance to the Boston campus if you enrol somewhere other than the Oakland campus, and they are not offering acceptance after a gap year.

You wrote that you disclosed all your major disabilities including one rare disease, applied only for the Boston campus and they STILL offered you one year at Oakland. They’re not stupid. That was a rejection. They are stringing you along now because they don’t want to be seen as a college discriminating against a student with disabilities but that is exactly what they are doing. They don’t want you. You have talked about your need to be close to an experienced medical provider and they still aren’t budging. Your needs are too much of a risk to them.

The “colleges like students who overcome hardships” myth is a myth.

They may like it when the hardship is over, and it hasn’t made and will continue not to make a difference in your performance. Your disease is progressive. They are expecting to to have to offer accommodations and worry you will not be able to keep up your performance. They don’t want you.

UMass has shown you they trust in you and your abilities to overcome your hardship. They will support you.

A gap year does not mean you get a do over. You have already worked with the Broad institute. Your high school record is what it is. I am not sure you can take the SAT once you’ve graduated, others may want to weigh in in that. It will not count once you are a transfer student. Your application will not change meaningfully, you will still look like a risk to all the private colleges you have rejected you before.

Your parents’ instinct is to grab for the one “offer” that isn’t really an offer, but is somewhat more highly ranked, and to keep you close. Don’t give in. You have said yourself that college may be the one thing in your life that is normal, but it will not be if you start messing around with the one option you have.

You have not disclosed your disease, and you don’t have to, and do not need to give us any more information. But you need to think about this. You have let us know you are already Deaf and may be going blind. Should you waste another year not getting to know the college campus you will live on?

You have hinted that you are genderqueer but closeted. Do I understand correctly that you are currently presenting as a woman, but wish to live as a man, and your parents don’t know?

Do you currently wear the hijab and are you planning to ditch it on campus? You don’t have to answer, but you need to think about it. How would that work if you still lived so close to home? Again, UMass now may be the one chance to understand for you who you are and who you want to be, and to try out how to live independently.

Lastly, it does not seem to be clear that your parents can pay the additional 200k NEU would cost. Another huge risk. And one your parents do not seem to appreciate.

You must make them understand that neither a gap year nor NEU are an option.

20 Likes