Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

OP- sending you good karma.

I have learned in life that just when you feel you are being backed into a corner- there is ALWAYS an obvious route out, if you look around to find it. So if you and your folks have decided that U Mass and then transfer is your only option- great. Go to U Mass (commit TODAY) as everyone else has urged, blow the cover off the ball, and perhaps then your route out is just to stay at U Mass. Or try for a transfer, but at least you’ve gotten a year of college under your belt.

Or- if your folks think a gap year is your only option- great. Call U Mass- TOMORROW-- and ask them if you can hold your spot for a year (just so in case the schools which have already rejected you reject you again you still have a seat available). Then figure out with your parents a productive year and re-apply. And take a look at an entirely different set of New England colleges. Your new matches might be U Hartford, Simmons, Wheaton. Your new safeties might be Endicott, Stonehill (work with your guidance counselor to make sure you are categorizing these appropriately- I’m just throwing out names here.) Your parents can then sit with this… if NONE of the new colleges on the list have the “oomph” of U Mass with your current offer, then the grinding on the non-offer from Northeastern might end and you can all get back to reality.

I think you and your parents have learned something from this process- and unlike other posters, I don’t believe that your disability has ANYTHING to do with the rejections, wait lists, etc. I think you’ve gotten an education that first and foremost-- the colleges you applied to are academic institutions. period. And your B in physics, and B+ or A- in bio, and what I’m sure looks like some struggles in math or being behind the curve in math in terms of rigor-- are way more important than observing live surgeries, learning from Nobel Prize Laureates in Medicine, etc.

You are very accomplished, no doubt. But your transcript (the most important part of your application- more important than Senior Class rep, congress of Future Medical Leaders, etc.-- was the key here. And with no standardized test scores (a 780 in math would have gone a long way in reassuring an adcom that your core quant skills are solid), it was easier to reject you (or waitlist you) than to try and figure out if you could hack calculus and organic chemistry, alongside your classmates.

I’m sorry if this stings. But you got bad advice upfront with your list, and I’d hate to see you waste another year with equally bad advice.

I know kids in real life who have a string of awards and have done research at prestigious places with famous people. And their parents are incredulous that they are getting rejected from their match schools, and even a few “safety” schools. And they want answers. And the answers aren’t exotic or hard to parse. A kid who opted not to take the most rigorous curriculum at their HS so they’d have time for their EC’s (it takes time to commute to a research lab, etc.) is not going to “present” as well as a kid with Calc BC, AP Physics etc.

It might not be fair, and it might be a horrible flaw in the admissions system, but the kinds of colleges you applied to do not see themselves as being in the “remedial ed” business. And for a prospective STEM major (forget the pre-med part for a minute) , covering off the basics of bio, chem, physics and math at the most rigorous level, and doing well in them-- is what it takes.

U Mass clearly understands both your passions and your strengths- your offer there is evidence of that. The private U’s? Your transcript probably confused them, so they moved on.

I am NOT telling you that won’t end up in Med school if you decide that’s what you want. There are plenty of doctors out there with wonderful careers who struggled in math in HS. But if you were my kid- I’d be encouraging you to take the obvious option- U Mass-- and not try and reinvent the wheel with a gap year.

Hugs to you. I know you are going to do great things.

12 Likes

Seconding this, and noting that a foreshadowing comment was made on this thread in December:

4 Likes

Hi! I am nonbinary/genderfluid - it’s complicated because I’m presenting as a girl/woman, but at school I use he/they pronouns- I don’t really present one way or the other, it just kind of depends on how I’m feeling. /thoughtful

It’s complicated because my parents “know”, kinda, sorta, but it’s a very complicated story that I obviously won’t go into, but I’m pretty much closeted. That’s a different story that the closet’s practically glass. /honestly; then a bit playful

I don’t wear a hijab! No one in my family does- they’re on the “liberal” side for those types of things. I’m lucky I can wear pretty much whatever I want (even though I prefer wearing modest stuff anyways.) /happily

As for the UMass stuff- I’m going to talk to my folks about it- and I’m saying that to everyone here. It’s gonna be a long conversation, and we’re going to ask my outside of school college counselor for advice (my parents’ idea… not mine!) as well. Of course, UMass seems wonderful but I will add all my parents have heard are negative things about the institution (sue me, I overheard them) so that might be another factor in their resistance. I’m perfectly happy going to UMass (and maaaaybe transferring to NEU after a year if they could give me that 2024 spot)- but I would be just as happy being there all 4 years. /thoughtfully, musing

Also yes I slept on it and it’s much clearer what I want to do. /honestly

I’ll keep everyone updated! /warmly, happily

3 Likes

OP please see above!

I have been supportive and protective of you throughout but I think it important that you understand the time for discussion, consideration and aspiration is over.

You have one great option and only one if you want to ensure you attend any of the colleges you previously applied to. Your chances and results only go down from here.

I say this as a call to action. Meaning take the only action that is available by committing to U Mass, anything else is a failure to act which will set you up for further disappointment.

Your parents love you and want what is best for you but they see you as their vulnerable child, you must now inspire them by showing them you are an adult capable of making adult decisions.

/concerned

10 Likes

Op- again, big warm hug.

We’ve ALL heard negative things about every single college on the planet. Dartmouth is filled with alcoholics. MIT is filled with the suicidal. Tufts is filled with kids who are depressed that they didn’t get into Harvard. Berkeley is overrated. UVA is too preppy. Etc.

This is life. A university can produce tens of thousands of happy and productive adults who loved their experience and are active and engaged alums- and we all focus on the two hundred disgruntled alums who moan and whine about what they hated. Your dad is a Sloan alum so he understands what a normal distribution and an outlier looks like!!!

There are hundreds of Northeastern students who could write a book about what’s wrong with the institution. And of course- the ones who transfer out are exhibit A-- especially the ones who 'trade down" when they leave for “less prestigious” institutions.

You’ve got a chance to show off the analytical and critical thinking skills that you will need as a STEM major! yippee!

And if at the end of the day, your parents will not budge and will not allow you to accept U Mass, you will need to be extremely assertive with the outside college counselor if the suggestion is “do more research and maybe Tufts will admire your persistence in applying again”. No. This is not the Hunger Games where just showing up scores you points. If you are indeed pushed into a gap year, you will need an entirely different set of colleges on your plate.

Hugs-- cannot be easy right now but let’s hope you get some clarity in the next few days.

11 Likes

My folks are still pushing for a gap year. Meanwhile I’ve tried to get them to see reason and they’re like “we’ve always made the best decision for you”- which… is true. cough. /sighing

My folks will make a final decision with me based on what our college counselor says tonight. I’ll keep y’all updated. /sighing, hopeful

I just want to ask the more experienced posters here: if OP commits to UMass today with a deposit and then NEU later makes a final decision on their appeal and decides to offer them Boston for this coming year, they can withdraw from UMass and commit to NEU, is that correct? Even if NEU’s decision is before — or after — May 1.

That’s my understanding but i wanted to clarify. Because if that is true, then that may help the parents agree to UMass now as long as doing so doesn’t mean saying no to NEU.

Isn’t it kind of like NEU is a waitlist offer because they are considering the appeal? And what I described above is how waitlists work.

4 Likes

Have your parents articulated what they think a gap year will accomplish? Do they believe that will give you a better chance at the schools that have already denied you?

I would have the NE correspondence ready for that counselor. Make sure you, your parents, and that counselor understand exactly what that means. I, and most people here, means you are giving up any acceptance to NE. You would start back at square one and then have NO chance. If you reapply, NE still has all the notes and history of your admissions process this year.

1 Like

I am worried about the college counselor, because they gave you unrealistic guidance originally.

Would your parents be open to an additional consultation with a new and less involved counselor? I’m sure people here could recommend some (in DM if doing so on the public site isn’t allowed).

9 Likes

I worry if this is the same counselor who recommended the original list - although in fairness you did have some acceptances. The issue then is - you applied to schools you never should have because you have (or your family has) no intention of attending if accepted.

One thing to know - that they should know - is that your safety is the most important school - period, bar none. So if you need to be in Boston - then you need a Boston area safety like a Suffolk or Lassell or name your school.

The other thing is - to make sure they look at your rigor and note it’s just not there - relative to the competition who is applying to these schools. These schools rate rigor as the top requirement - even over grades in many, if not all cases.

You might pull nuggets off this thread that many have shared to bring with you - and note they were repeatedly given by many. If many are saying it then…

I wish you continued success - but I worry that you are re-starting with the individual you initially started with - unless this person was aware all along.

Good luck tonight.

5 Likes

OP, I agree with @Tigerle and I applaud her for asking some tough questions. I have also wondered if part of your parents’ desire to have you close (in addition to your medical condition) is cultural and related to your birth sex. I don’t have any answers about how to manage those cultural issues, but I think it’s important (for all the readers) to consider that this may be a factor in your parents thinking. Maybe they were willing to consider allowing you to leave home to chase prestige but now, for cultural reasons or reasons related to your illness, they fear letting you go to UMASS Amherst. I am sure they are afraid to let you step too far out into the world, but I hope they reconsider. Do you have a trusted adult or therapist who can help you navigate these issues with your folks?

Also re: prestige, up-thread someone else commented on how Northeastern has “gamed” the rankings. I was an NEU student in the late 80s and 90s. I have a B.S. and J.D. from Northeastern. They have a great model of education and I am glad that they are getting the recognition for the cooperative education model. But the selectivity/prestige stuff is clearly tied to some targeted efforts to improve metrics US News relies upon and crazy marketing to drive up applications/drive down acceptance rate. Honestly, I would expect your dad, as an MIT Grad in my generation remembers the days when NEU was a commuter school for kids who could not get into BU. I suspect he does, which makes me think that this is about keeping you close.

In 2006, President Aoun joined NEU. In 2008, NEU and UMASS were both ranked #96 in USNEWS. Both have climbed up to their current places at 44 and 67. Since 2010, when UMASS fell out of the T100, it has steadily climbed to 67. NEU was 39 in 2017, dropped to 49 after and is now back up 44. Note also that NEU is rapidly expanding its footprint nationally and internationally. UMASS-Amherst May more stable and its increase in rank less a product of manipulating certain metrics to satisfy USNEWS. Link to historical data below.

Wishing you all the best.

https://andyreiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/US-News-Rankings-Universities-Through-2023.xlsx

7 Likes

Respectfully, this should not be their decision.

10 Likes

Yup, we do. Been talking with a therapist for awhile. They’re getting there in terms of my LGBTQ+ identity (and it’s complicated to say the least) but it’ll take time- which is why I said the closet is pretty much glass. I mean, they’re awesome parents otherwise. I wouldn’t be where I am without them, and they’ve done and sacrificed a lot for me. /warmly, happily

As for the data you put about NEU and UMass- I appreciate it. I’ll take a proper look at it when I can! /warmly

The college counselor- I have a feeling she’ll say UMass is the way to go, but let’s see! I’ll keep y’all updated. I’m gonna go study now. /warmly

4 Likes

I was having the same thoughts. Now that it is decision time, op’s parents may be struggling with letting him become more independent. I believe op mentioned somewhere upthread that his parents wanted him to live at home if attending NE, but may be mistaken. Just a few days ago, op reported his dad said that deposit could be paid to UMass if NE did not approve transfer request. Well, that happened and now op’s parents are backing off that.

Op, another thing that needs to be considered is your grades for second semester senior year which are already baked in at this point. If I recall correctly, you were struggling with precalc. These grades are going to become significantly more important if you go the gap year route. A few community college classes are not going to compensate for less than stellar second semester senior year grades. Of course, if you enroll at UMass, these grades won’t matter.

Also, I wanted to agree with previous poster that it is extremely important that you share the exact language from NE with your counselor as it appears your parents are not interpreting to be as conditional as it appears from what you posted here.

8 Likes

That’s my understanding as well.

1 Like

The counselor at least approved, and possibly pushed for reaches that were clearly beyond your qualifications, so i dont have much confidence in them. However, as far as i can see it, the only reason for the counselor to recommend not putting in a deposit at umass, but instead take a gap year and reapply, would be if it meant another fee for them.

2 Likes

Or is it possible that the parents pushed and the counselor eventually just relented because they knew they couldn’t convince the parents otherwise and decided to rather put their efforts into making the best app possible given the circumstances rather than engage in a fruitless battle with their client? Maybe counselor can now provide a voice of reason.

5 Likes

Deleted

I don’t know why @your_dog’s comment was flagged. I asked him to write that for me, if it’s of any consolation. /concerned, anxious

I think that I will mention one of my U.Mass stories. It seems appropriate.

I am mostly retired. I do a bit of consulting to my former employer – a company that I have now worked for (either full time or as a consultant) for just over 22 years, in an industry that I have worked in since 1980. I am also an MIT graduate.

I was given a tough problem a couple of years ago. I took one look at it and thought “oh my, I have to talk to one of the really top experts for this one”. Fortunately there are two that work for the same company (the people I consult to do not know their own company as well as I do after 22 years, they are far more recent hires). I went to the expert I know best. He is also an MIT graduate, and is one of the top experts in the world on this particular subject (he literally wrote some of the standards). He took one look at the problem and said “you have to go talk to Joe”. (Joe is not his real name, but is the name I will use for this story).

So I go to talk to Joe. He listens to the problem. Then he very clearly and articulately describes the solution in detail. We are done. At this point it is almost noon so I say “do you want to go grab lunch”. We go to lunch and talk about the kids (I had a daughter in university at the time, he had two in high school). He says “I hope that they choose U.Mass, because it is what I can afford. I also went their and liked it a lot”.

So a problem that completely stumped two MIT graduates, both experts in the field, was solved quickly and easily by a U.Mass graduate. He did not solve it because he was a U.Mass graduate. He solved it because he is really smart and really practical (he is also a very nice guy). He could have been a top expert in this same field regardless of whether he had attended MIT, U.Mass, Stanford, NEU, or any other very good university. What he can accomplish is because of his abilities, not because of which university he attended. However, he is doing very well with a degree from U.Mass (and is occasionally helping out us otherwise stumped MIT graduates).

I do not think that the school makes the student. I think that the students make the school.

6 Likes