Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

Congratulations on NEU and your decision! I know there were many moving pieces that made it especially difficult to decide how to move forward.

So many of us feel very invested in seeing you succeed! As someone who has worked with transfer students before, I just want to chime in and urge you to really do your research on

1. what schools will accept you to enroll in full-time hours for the upcoming year

2. if those courses will transfer in to NEU as needed for your degree

3. how those courses will be viewed for med school admissions

You will want to speak with an NEU academic advisor rather than admissions to discuss how the credits will transfer. They will have access to a transfer course database where they can see how the specific courses from the specific school will transfer in and be able to tell you if they are accepted AND if they will count towards degree requirements (these are not the same things! you want to make sure they don’t just come in as elective credits but that they will fulfill gen ed or major requirements…I have seen many students transfer in a year of credits but still be one or two semesters behind in their degree plans because they didn’t count for actual degree requirements. I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough!)

I agree with @parentologist that you should hold your place at UMass for now because above all else, you need to make sure you can enroll full-time somewhere next year to have the transfer credits you need. My suggestion is to speak with a UMass advisor on the possibility of enrolling full-time in online gen ed courses that could be completed while you live at home. That is doable at most public universities these days, though can get tricky if you need science labs to fulfill major pre-reqs so that you don’t enter behind for sophomore year. Speak with an NEU advisor ASAP on what courses they suggest so you can start looking at course catalogs at the schools you are considering. Also check out other UMass locations close to Boston that are still accepting applications to compare in person options–that may give you the in person science pre-req courses that you need more easily.

I say all of this not to criticize your decision or take away from your celebration in any way! I am thrilled you have found a solution that works for you and that is a great fit for your family’s needs. All of the above is what I would advise my own child to do so that they have all of the info needed to make the best choices possible.

9 Likes

I have friends that needed credits for guaranteed transfer and they used UMass Boston since it is on the red line and commutable. It will be way cheaper than BU and it offers the whole premed program +, no issues with transferring credits and you can take a lab science class. I understand you parents will probably think it is not a good university since they did not like Umass Amherst but they might see it differently if it is only for transfer credits. Interesting I have a friend that did their bachelors at Umass Boston because they were doing research in the city and they needed an affordable college in commuting distance so they could continue with their project. This friend ended at Cal for their PhD. Anyway, I just put it out there since it is in commuting distance and affordable and easy to transfer credits.

16 Likes

This is a great suggestion! UMass Boston gen ed/pre-req courses are for sure preferable over any continuing ed credits you could piece together from BU or Harvard Extension.

4 Likes

I just spoke to a friend/colleague at work- she’s a senior at NEU currently and told me- “a full time load is 16-19 credits a semester, so 4 4-credit classes plus any one-credit labs/recitations. You have to take a minimum of 12 credits to be considered full-time. You can get up to 32 credits for AP/other college classes you completed in high school.” /happily

The DRC has said I qualify for a reduced courseload (3 instead of 4 classes)- so once again, I will speak to NEU ASAP on how the credits will play out. And it may be possible to transfer my DE credits (6 credits) over as well. /thoughtful, musing

3 Likes

Congratulations on your decision! I am very happy for you!

That would be great to be able to transfer 6 credits – that would mean you would only have to take 24 credits next year, so three classes a semester. That will give you a good feel for what your reduced course load will be like for the following years.

What are the terms of NEU re: taking those necessary credits? Are you allowed to actually enroll somewhere as a freshman, or do you have to take all those courses as an external/visiting student? Knowing that may open (or limit) your available options for next year.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree with confirming specifically the classes being taken and the details of the offer. Some schools that have this sort of guaranteed transfer option have GPA requirements, class hour requirements, and specific class requirements. I have heard too many stories where people are not accepted for transfer because they didn’t meet the stringent requirements.

For example, Georgia Tech requires 30 hours of post high school credit as part of their transfer offer. Dual enrollment and AP classes do not count in this total. They also require certain classes to be taken as well as a specific GPA. If Northeastern is similar in requiring 30 hours of post high school credit, that is not a gap year. That is a freshman year at a different school. Rather than trying to cobble together classes that fit and will transfer online, it makes much more sense to attend UMass for the first year where there will be plenty of classes that will easily transfer.

Also get what specific requirements are needed in writing. Recently heard of a Georgia Tech transfer student under a similar offer who was told their classes did not qualify, despite being approved for transfer on the transfer equivalency table online. Apparently, GT had changed the approved classes in the interim. Thankfully, she had taken a screenshot of every class in which she enrolled and the equivalent transfer from the GeorgiaTech website prior to enrolling. She was able to provide that documentation and easily get the classes approved.

So I agree the devil is in the details. Getting specifics in writing are critical particularly since May 1 is coming up. It would be pretty terrible to realize the sorts of online classes OP is considering don’t meet the requirements after May 1.

11 Likes

Keep in mind that many colleges have 3 credit courses rather than 4 – pretty sure UMass uses 3 credits but it’s been a while since I last looked. If NEU courses are 4 credits, ask them how this would work if you transfer in a 3 credit course. For instance, when I worked at BU, we accepted coursework that was 3 credit hours to meet the degree requirement but then required the student to enroll in a 1 credit independent study or find another course to take to meet that credit hour requirement in the subject.

4 Likes

Please also discuss whether med school will accept the AP credits. We have this issue with veterinary schools. Cornell Vet we’re told, will not accept an AP BIO.

1 Like

Yes and yes!

OP, I am so happy for you that you have the commitment from NEU that you wanted! I (and so many others here) just want to be sure that you have all the details figured out ASAP (preferably by May 1) so that you have a good idea how this will all work out.

And if NEU is requiring basically a full first-year schedule (3 classes a semester at a reduced load with DE credits OR 4 classes at a non-reduced load if for some reason they don’t accept your DE credits) then please be very, very careful about overloading yourself with what would be true “gap year” activities like research, shadowing, and riding. Most freshmen don’t have time for these types of activities, and despite NEU calling this a gap year, it sounds like it really isn’t. It’s a first year of college somewhere else. /warmly, concerned, wanting this to work out wonderfully for you

5 Likes

Thank you! I am going to call NEU today and ask about the credit transferring and the requirements and all of the nitty-gritty details I need to figure out- I’ll get back to you guys once I figure it out. -as for overloading myself- I’ll try not to- I think my main other focus will be riding in that case, but I’ll see first how the credit stuff works. /happily, appreciative

2 Likes

Excellent point. There are so many details!

2 Likes

Minor thing I forgot to mention- the DRC said I can come in the summer before I start in the fall (2024) and take classes at Northeastern’s Summer Sessions for incoming students in case the credits aren’t all there. /musing

10 Likes

This is a great option. You could also consider doing that this summer as well.

3 Likes

Congrats on your decision, by the way! Happy for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A big congratulations to you on making a decision and for sharing with your CC fan base. :grinning: I’m so excited for your opportunities!!

Do take note of the well-meaning comments about the importance of understanding the details for your conditional transfer to NEU (that is the more recognized term as a gap year typically indicates a delay to starting a freshman year). /said kindly to avoid misunderstandings

Also, keep in mind what med schools will accept.

Finally, look out for yourself and enjoy your summer and freshman year, however that plays out. /warmly

I look forward to more updates about your plans and accomplishments (which I have no doubt will be coming).

5 Likes

Mentioned upthread by @cam2932, but to add a little more detail: It’s important to know what NEU considers a 4-credit class.

At some—mostly private, and including NEU—universities a standard class is 4 credits, but at most a standard class is 3 credits. The OP needs to be sure (and have it in writing) whether a 3-credit class at, say, UMass Boston will transfer to NEU as an entire 4-credit class, or as three-quarters of one.

This would let you know whether you need to think in terms of number of transferable classes, or in terms of number of transferable credits.

5 Likes

That’s a great option! One thing you can do ahead of time (even now!) is check if summer sessions will have the classes you want/need. At many universities, summer options are much less robust than fall and spring semesters.

Here is a link to NEU’s course offerings. I think that once you click on the schedule of classes link you can then enter the semester of interest and see what is available.

Schedule of Classes - Office of the University Registrar at Northeastern University

4 Likes

Northeastern awards credits for AP exams completed with a 4 or 5. They do not award credit for AP courses taken without taking the AP exam.

8 Likes

Taking summer classes at NEU this summer and next will lighten your load during the school year, plus no worry about the credits transferring. It is just gonna be darned expensive. I dont see how your parents can finance this. Youre looking at over 400k for undergrad this way (unless you live at home, in which case more like 330k), plus then if you get in, at least as much, probably more, for med school. Honestly, your best and cheapest option is to start at umass amherst this fall, and then if you still want it, take NEU up on the transfer offer. It is the cheapest, best way for you to get the credits, you can do research, you can ride nearby, and most importantly, you can launch with a normal freshman year experience, both academically and socially.

6 Likes