Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

Are you planning on living on campus? That would be great!

I am!! Super excited! /happily

8 Likes

This is such great communication from Northeastern! Thank you for sharing as you will give others an understanding of the complexity that can go into this kind of request and self advocacy. I have a feeling there were some people in admissions doing a victory lap for you as well! They all need something positive at this point in the game.

Enjoy your last bits of high school and make sure you do some things just for fun this summer!

5 Likes

That’s exactly why I shared the nitty-gritty bumps in the road most people will omit. A journey isn’t just the glamorous stuff, but the parts that make you want to cry and scream and curl up (i did all three with a heavy pint of ice cream and tv-watching). I’m incredibly grateful this has all worked out for me (I had faith it would)- and yes, this is to help future applicants who may also be like me- and hopefully also inspire others that dreams can and do come true. /happily, bit shy

1 Like

You are absolutely an inspiration :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I appreciate the kind words! I know some people may not feel like that- and even I don’t quite believe that myself, but I’m glad you can see that in me. I hope I can inspire others through my journey. /warmly, shy, flustered

1 Like

I have never been so happy to have been proven utterly wrong.

They want you.

You’re wanted.

You’ll go places.

I wish you a wonderful for years with the best of health available to you. This community has been rooting for you. We would love for you to keep us updated, the happy stuff and the not so happy stuff, the full life that is going to happen to you.

Hugs!

9 Likes

Thank you so much. As my parents told me in the beginning of this fight with NEU: “You’ve always defied the odds. You’ve always been the exception to the rule, the anomaly to the norm.” and I think that’s true even now. /warmly, thoughtful

I definitely hope I’m wanted- Northeastern surprised me at the last minute, but I’m so glad and grateful they did. I’m still in shock, even after committing last night. Everything worked out, despite what everyone was telling me- “they’ll never accept you into Boston, be realistic, etc.”- even though the advice was solid and much appreciated. Even the head of the DRC told me admissions wouldn’t change their decision. But they did. I don’t know what the heck they saw in me, if anything, but I’m just so grateful for this incredible opportunity to call myself a Husky for the next 4 years. /happily, grateful

1 Like

Time to go buy a Northeastern hoodie and celebrate.

1 Like

I’m wearing my NEU hoodie right now! (although my brother kinda wrecked the decals so I’ll get some more merch soon…) /happily

5 Likes

completely random but i wanna say i’m super excited cause my cousin is committed to BU (and just fought cancer!! he’s a fellow rare disease warrior) and I’m super excited to have him around for the next 4 years <3 /happily

16 Likes

adding on that a lot of my cousin’s friends with this condition have passed away due to the nature of it being a rare cancer- y’all, just keep my cousin in your prayers and good thoughts- he deserves to be with me these next four years. and he’s almost done with chemo. /softly, hopeful

4 Likes

Alsooo! I’m getting to meet with one of the NU EQ Team Captains next weekend and getting to see the riding facilities and horses so that’ll be fun! /happily

12 Likes

That should be fun. My daughter enjoyed meeting equestrian team members and seeing the facilities at every college we visited. NUEQ competes against VT/NH teams if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Nice! I ride hunters + equitation, although maybe I’ll dabble in jumpers if I ever build the courage to. /happily

Also, the tour of the facilities is pending but I will be meeting up with one of the team captains on campus next weekend so that is going to be my motivator for this week of school. /grinning, laughing

4 Likes

Congratulations to your cousin and best wishes on his continued recovery.

Looking forward to hearing about your visits with equestrian folks & facilities!

2 Likes

The competitions are a different format (kind of like IEA if you did that. in middle or high school). There is no hunters, eq and jumpers, per se.

I hope you enjoy the tour.

1 Like

Doesn’t IHSA do hunt seat equitation on the flat + fences? /confused

I know IHSA has “luck of the draw” type stuff with how horses are sort of dished out to riders before the rounds, which will be interesting… /musing

Also I was mentioning my discipline since I’ll be riding at my home barn on the weekends, while also being with my school team. /warmly, clarifying

and thank you! I’m excited for the tour. /warmly

They do. It’s flat and fences but scored differently than hunters. More like eq. No speed like jumpers. Some schools also have dressage or Western teams.

WhELp- time to work on my eq… /coughing

That’s interesting! I know NEU has a dressage team as well, but dressage really isn’t my thing, so I probably won’t join it. /musing

Wait how is it scored then? /confused