Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

If you read back through your thread and why you’re even attending NEU, you (not me) continued to highlight your fathers influence.

Just a few messages ago you said my parents want me home on weekends.

If you are home every weekend, it will be much more difficult for you to be a college student, including having friends.

You can be blunt but frankly through this entire thread you lay out certain things and then twist them when you don’t like what you hear. Or when you get called out for doing so.

You’re allowed to change your story. But I’m giving you an observation that many see but are being polite to be supportive of you.

I’m happy that you got the college you wanted even though I think you gamed the system to get it (it’s my right to think that) but it’s also my right to be blunt and simply restate what you’ve said all along about your family.

No one said your parents didn’t love you nor did I say they your dad is not doing his best for you.

Good luck. But there are so many red flags heading into this - I hope you are able to navigate them well.

8 Likes

Yeah, my parents want me home on weekends, and I wanna go home on weekends, too. Socializing is hard. You try people-ing all week and doing school. It’s a lot. For any neurodivergent kid. /calmly

We didn’t game the system- we fought for something we knew I needed, and thank God, we won. /honest

I don’t see any red flags- I just see a family who’s been loving and supportive and kind and so incredibly nurturing my entire life. My father’s influence wasn’t an influence- yes, he prefers prestige, but I want prestige too, even if I know it’s not all that. /honest

My parents’ guidance has been a force of good my entire life- they’re why I’m here today. They’re my joy and my inspiration. /honest

I don’t want any further discussion on this. Period. It’s not up for debate, and it’s certainly not for you to decide what my family is like. If you knew who we were, you’d know we place education and kindness above all. The latter of which I suggest you try implementing a little. /honest, civil, kind

4 Likes

No one is questioning your parents love or desire or saying they didn’t get you here. They’ll love you their entire life. As parents, we all make mistakes at times. All of us. It doesn’t impact our love for our kids or necessarily change our decision making.

As long as you stayed on the cwru waitlist and that you even applied to schools all over - I’ll continue to think what I think. But what I think isn’t important.

It’s fine. You got what you wanted.

But I hope you fully immerse yourself - especially in the first month which is the most important as bonds are formed. And socially it will be harder for you to acclimate should you start going home each weekend.

6 Likes

Switching topics- I’m super excited to be able to go lesson soon- currently trying to workout gradually so I’m able to ride. Since my barn merged with another barn, I’m going to be able to help train some other horses, which is exciting. Last time I was supposed to train a 3 year old mare, so I’m wondering if I’ll be able to work with her this time around. The horse I currently ride is semi-retired so he can only do up to 2’6" fences, so I’m hoping they’ll give me a different mount for the 3’ classes. /thoughtful, excited

@tsbna44 , I think you’ve made your point. I think it’s time to back off. Good luck to the OP!

7 Likes

thank you! /warmly, appreciative

For some reason, the additional part of my earlier message didn’t post which said something to the effect that my kid is not a kid who refuses to half-butt something. If one has a kid like that (and if you’re one of them @premed_equestrian), then I would alter the advice to be something to the effect of, “Do the best you can within reasonable time limitations.”
/Perplexed why my other part won’t post

I think that it’s easy to forget that this is an online forum. People may post quickly, not thinking about the various interpretations of what they wrote. Other people may read quickly, perhaps missing a detail in a post. Nobody here is preparing for a dissertation by reading (and rereading) everything carefully and examining everything minutely (whether what they wrote or what they read). Thus, I think it’s good to give people grace on both ends of the spectrum. If something appears one way, let them clarify in a later message what was intended. I think we’ve all had to do that with our own posts in one thread or another.

Additionally, I think that we all look at things through the lens of our personal experiences. That might lead to certain light bulbs going off in our head that might not go off in others’ minds. Those light bulbs may be true and accurate for a situation, or it may just be a warped viewpoint (for lack of a better word). If a flag goes off in our mind, and we think it might be a red flag, I think it’s best to tread carefully when suggesting it.

This is, of course, just my viewpoint and nobody needs to follow it, but I wanted to add in my $0.02.

/Encouraging a mindset of grace and gentleness

3 Likes

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

It might be also helpful to read the room. The OP is a teenager. While there should be no expectation that users tell teenagers that everything is sunshine and rainbows, there is also no need to double down on your PoV.

6 Likes

thank you!! i’m 18 but yeah young adult works too. /appreciative, grinning

1 Like

You have displayed tremendous grace, humility, determination, and perseverance throughout your posts and narrative. Great to see you stick up for yourself!!

That confidence will serve you well and has clearly been hard earned. Leverage it into more great things.

8 Likes

Speaking of being 18, it still blows my mind that the term emerging adulthood (and the study of the phenomenon) is a pretty recent phenomenon.

Social adulthood is different from legal adulthood. Traditional-age college students are in a weird liminal space.

1 Like

Thank you!! I guess that I’d hope you’re not saying it just to be polite, but I appreciate it all the same. I hope I show those characteristics. /warmly, sheepish, unsure

A few comments:

– I’m glad that you have such a wonderful and supportive family AND that you understand and appreciate all they do for you. It is a blessing.

– What I always tell my kids (and what I try to tell myself as well LOL) is to “give yourself grace.” Forgive yourself when things don’t go quite as planned, when you make a mistake etc. Nobody is perfect. It is great (and impressive) that you continually strive to do your best, but also allow yourself to relax and take a deep breath once in a while. Keep things in perspective.

–In terms of grades, know that if you don’t finish senior year off with perfect grades it will have absolutely zero impact on your life – focus on understanding the material you will need going forward rather than the grades.

–In terms of going home weekends from college – see how things go and work with your very supportive parents to create a plan (which may change week to week) that makes sense. Recognize that you may need/want some weekend time at school for equestrian endeavors, if you join study groups at college, if you need to do research at the library etc. Flexibility on everyone’s part will be the key.

Again, all best wishes.

3 Likes

I think that you should be really proud of your B+ in pre-calculus. You worked hard for it.

You have a bright future ahead of you.

2 Likes

You are the first person on CC to accuse me of being polite! I am not, I believe what I said😀

4 Likes

pf- well, I appreciate it. /giggling

thank you. those words mean a lot, considering the backlash does affect me, even if I am confident in my words. /warmly, meaningfully

Just to clarify my point- I think a B+ in pre-Calc if you’ve struggled in math is award winning! Pat yourself on the back.

But (sadly, said with a wry grin in keeping with the OP’s communication style), modern medicine is not the old days of “memorize the muscles in the arm” or “name the bones in the feet”. The fact is that in addition to jumping through the hoops of the pre-med requirements (passing organic chemistry if you have a weak foundation in math is challenging), modern medicine is increasingly math and data based.

And some of the questions that come up-- you can’t find the answer in a textbook. How to think about a tumor which is smaller than what definitely gets removed, but larger than what definitely gets ignored? What’s the margin of error in being wrong? What’s the risk of NOT giving a pregnant woman Paxlovid when she tests positive for Covid? What if that same mother has asthma and tried for five years to get pregnant? Do you recommend a mammogram for an 80 year old woman? What if her mom and aunt died of breast cancer, how does that change the risk profile?

Most medical fields these days are a minefield of statistical analyses combined with a solid understanding of the human body and the myriad ways it can go wrong.

So OP- congrats on your progress in math. And keep plugging away! Once you’ve figured out how to map out those pesky word problems and correctly identify which function goes where, you are off to the races!

Okay- I don’t know if anyone on CC is super knowledgeable about it (and I’ll ask my family friend who’s on the med school admissions board for a very good school) but would medical schools care if I chose the Bio/English combined major at NEU? /curiously

You can choose philosophy, music, urban planning, art history. Just cover off the med school requirements and keep an eye on MCAT prep…

7 Likes

They have to provide accommodations if they can. If the school doesn’t have enough singles, they can’t provide the accommodations.

A friend needed a single for medical reasons but she was in a LLC that only had doubles. She had to decide if she wanted a single more than she wanted to be in the LLC. They were able to accommodate her by giving her a single on another floor in the same dorm building, but honestly that made the LLC not work for her as she wasn’t ‘in the community’, missed all the spontaneous things that are the core of the LLC and the reason the communities are formed.

1 Like