Chance me for top CS schools!

@vonlost If that is the case, then would applying to public schools be better in terms of overall tuition cost?

I think I have all the UCs, UMich, UMaryland, UT Austin, Purdue, and UWash on my list.

UPDATE:

Had my Brown interview today and it was awesome! This was my first “real” interview besides my Cornell one which was just for info. Anyways, we had a blast and geeked out about coding and finances! The originally planned 45 minute session turned into a 3 hour part. Everything was great and he said that he will write me a good letter. Super happy and excited to do more interviews.

For those of you who may read this in the future, interviews are not at all stressful. I went in thinking that I would be grilled and interrogated. Also, I really over prepared. Before going in, I wrote out notes / answers to possible questions. In the end, I basically didn’t use them. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@GoBears2023 There’s little or no connection between need-blind/need-aware or public/private and overall cost. Run the NPC for each school to get overall cost. An out-of-state need-blind public can be too expensive. A need-aware private could give a “free ride.” An in-state public in between.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2122733-most-colleges-have-need-blind-admissions.html

Thanks for the input @vonlost and @ucbalumnus

“Rejected from Cornell.”

I’m a little surprised at this (well ok a lotta surprised), that you got outright rejected or not at least deferred. I could understand Cornell rejecting you RD for yield protection or financial reasons, but if it was ED, they didn’t have to worry about that.

Well blessing in disguise because you got into a CS program in Illinois that’s probably a little better than Cornell and more competitive to get into than Cornell for OOS.

@GoBears2023

Because of your interests in both CS and Business, I thought you might like to view this WPI discussion.
See https://www.wpi.edu/academics/departments/data-science.

WPI '67

@retiredfarmer
Thanks for the link! I have looked at the data science department at WPI but have decided to apply as a CS major instead.

@theloniusmonk

Honestly I am also really confused as well. I thought that I would have had a good chance of getting in based on the result threads from previous years. Although I am a little bummed out about being rejected, as you said, it may be a blessing. Now at least I can try other schools like MIT and Stanford and see how far I can go. My one main concern is that based on this rejection and my GTech deferral, I don’t know how I will far with the other T20s. I guess I’ll wait for March :slight_smile:

The deferrals/rejections are pretty surprising to be honest since you have the grades/numbers and enough interesting ECs. And you seem pretty humble given your achievements. A lot of students with grades like yours come off as entitled and arrogant and you are not.

Perhaps Cornell and Georgia Tech thought there was a perceived lack of interest. Although if I recall from my kid’s high school graduating class, there were a couple of kids who got into Cornell who had very poor test scores and got in.

UIUC CSEE is highly competitive and getting in is a great achievement. I have a feeling that MIT could be an acceptance given your national level recognition with Siemens and the USAMO.

Thanks @Hamurtle for your encouraging words. I do truly hope that I can get into MIT! We’ll see on pie day :slight_smile:

I think Cornell and GTech rejected me for the reason you listed above. Maybe i didn’t show enough interest or something. Do keep in mind that I haven’t really visited either school due to the cost.

UPDATE:

Received Scholarship Package for the Trustee’s Scholarship at USC.
One of the companies part of my “tech incubator” for high school students will be travelling to SF to meet with VCs (super happy for them :D)

@GoBears2023 you’re golden with multiple acceptances. I think that one day you will be a CEO and the Cornell/Georgia Tech grads will be asking you for a job.

I do hope you get into a Top-10 school. You are a compelling candidate for admissions and despite the rejections/deferral to schools that should have accepted you based on numbers alone, you never complained or made excuses. You will be an assst to the school that you ultimately decide for.

Thanks so much @Hamurtle! I will keep this thread updated until May once I have made my final decision. I may then move on to create a blog or something to keep people who are interested updated on what’s going on (or also just for my own records).

Ugh. This is so unfair. I know this girl who goes to a private school (harvard westlake in NoHo) with super rich parents living in bel air that got into cornell ED with stats no where close to yours. Cornell honestly lost out on you, hope you get into somewhere better like Stanford or MIT. Congrats on your current acceptances!!

The sad truth is colleges care about money more than actual graduates. Probably because money is a short term gain while graduates are a long term source of revenue.

Yes, alas legacy is a thing. There are people that I know who go to bay area schools who at low 1400 scores and no ECs who go into Cornell as well. I am really bummed out but I realize that if I work hard during college, I can make Cornell regret not taking me in. Honestly, the education at any of the schools that I have gotten into or will get into will be the same as Cornell. It really comes down to how I take advantage of my opportunities. Thanks for the encouragement @MaybeIvy2020 . Money is also stupid. Why would people get accepted for their parents coming from the school and not their own merit? Out of all schools, I think MIT has the most “fair” admissions policy. Non restrictive early action and does not take into account legacies. Sigh, I think I may just become an AO to talk some sense into people. The current education system basically ensures that the wealthy maintain the large portion of wealth while the poor, despite showing academic prowess, will never be able to attain the same high-paying jobs simply because they were pushed out by legacies @nomansland

Highly recommend reading “Inequality” by Joseph Stiglitz if you’re interested in understanding how inequality becomes systemic and orchestrated via a ton of systems in the US.

If you’re looking at Top CS schools you should also be looking at CMU and Harvey Mudd. They’re better than most of the schools you listed. Also, I’d apply to UM and OSU, those are good CS/Engineering programs and you can probably get scholarships.

@ErronBlack I have applied to CMU but not Harvey Mudd. As for UM, is it maryland, mich, minnesota?