CHANCE ME: HS Senior looking for reality check [IL resident, 4.0/1520, Econ/Finance + Russian]

Sorry I was unclear! Price point not hard/fast. Scholarship money will just be more of a factor for which school I decide to attend. Would still go even if above 70k.

Read my amended post. A LOT of the colleges on your list do NOT give merit scholarships. Is your family eligible for need based aid?

No, but thatā€™s ok. Bc my price point is not real - I shouldnā€™t have put it. It was unclear, sorry.

What about UMD? It has a great business school. You should be able to stay within your budget. It is highly ranked and has Russian with ton of Russian speaking people in the area (and in College Park.)

4 Likes

Soā€¦are you saying your parents can afford $90,000 or more per year for you to attend collegeā€¦because thatā€™s how much some of the schools on your list costā€¦and they donā€™t give merit scholarships. At all.

Yes! To clarify I did not put the ā€œ<70kā€ in the header. The website did that. Sorry for being unclear in post!

You can change the subject ā€¦or tell me what you want it to say, and Iā€™ll do it for you.

Can you prove this ? My kid went to Bama (over Purdue for engineering), interviewed with 20 firms in fall, 5 offers and - oh - Jane Street Capital called the day after he applied to test and interview him. My daughters bf goes to U of Denver, is on their investment fund, and interned with a health care private equity firm this summer in Nashville. They too have Russian. He pays $45k or so.

Not saying you are wrong but Iā€™d quantify this. Bcuz the financial delta is large. There was a Va Tech kid on here wanting to transfer because they donā€™t place in IB. Yet a quick LinkedIn search showed that he was not remotely correct.

If what you believe is true, then save your $40 applying to Bama and others. IU Kelley is amongst the top rated for finance, has the language flagship so you access opportunities you canā€™t elsewhere and is a safety as you are auto direct admit. Your list is long, unlikely and would be an essay nightmare. IU on paper is perfect for your interests. Likely $50k or less.

Cull down your reaches and unless you are averse to IU, itā€™s the only safety you need. For you even easier than UIUC. Of course itā€™s smart to have at least two safeties.

You make a lot of assumptions. You may be right. I may be crazy. Look up those lyrics!!

Choose whatā€™s best for you - but make sure you choose with real world research and not marketing or pre conceived perceptions which I believe you have to an extent.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you! Wait how would IU be easier bc itā€™s out of state for me

Are you focused on I banking or PE as a career goal? Not trying to be patronizing but do you know the various areas within an investment bank and have a preference.

I ask because your interest in Russian is curious as it isnā€™t likely ā€œadditiveā€ with the exception to a few very specific areas.

You also might find this thread of interestā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you I will read!

@kat4 I removed the $$$ amount from your thread title.

For clarity, please post here what your family says they can pay for you annually to attend college.

1 Like

FYI if specifically looking for Wall Street I would look at schools that are specifically feeders to Wall Street.

IU while a great business school does not serve as a major feeder for WS. Proximity matters which makes Fordham a great option.

I would also be cautious using LinkedIn or other such sources to identify schools that feed WS. There are lots of people that work at I Banks that arenā€™t bankers. Consequently, you can mistakenly identify people from a tech school working in IT departments at Wall Street firms who in practice have nothing to do with banking. Going to these schools will not facilitate your accessing I banking careers.

4 Likes

If you pursue these interests in a liberal arts environment (such as in the arts and sciences division of a university or in a liberal arts college), them some combination of economics and mathematics may be advisable as potential majors or minors.

1 Like

IU is a safety. You have great stats. And you are direct admit to the coveted B school with your stats. Safety galore. Itā€™s the B school all the kids who apply to the top use as a safety valve and itā€™s top 10 itself - not that rank matters.

If youā€™re looking for a ā€œdealā€ at a Wall Street feeder school (per the list shared by @Catcherinthetoast) then you may want to take a look at Southern Methodist. Compared to your reaches, itā€™s the most generous in giving out merit aid. According to its most recent Common Data Set, 61% of students without financial need received merit aid, averaging $28,950 (source). It has about 7100 undergrads, so it seems that itā€™s in the range of your preferences.

If youā€™re open to a smaller school, Washington & Lee also makes the feeder-list, and about 10% of its students will receive the Johnson scholarship, a full ride. It only has about 2k undergrads though and is in a more rural location than your other schools, but I thought I should at least mention it as you do have some interest in potential scholarships.

2 Likes

I fully agree, but would highlight that both Houston and Dallas remain I Banking hubs. Most firms maintain local offices focused on power, energy and renewables in either or both of these cities. In my experience a disproportionate number of SMU alum I bankers are based out of these jurisdictions.

So while I completely concur that SMU is a great option know that your options may be skewed towards Texas.

3 Likes

It looks like some schools on the list are kind of region dependent. You have Northeastern, Boston University and Boston College. Is Boston your target place? Why Northeastern? Why Penn State? Why Bama? I would as suggested drop some schools and add Indiana and UMD. I would also reduce number of reaches.

These sites may offer you further ideas for refining your list:

https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.uslacecon.html

https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.usecondept.html

I think today - the location you go is less relevant. Kids get placed all over from all over. The internet has evened things out. And I Bankers are ending up in cities like Nashville, Austin, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, and more. PE even more so.

The placement landscape has changed drastically. I may not be in the industry but I see it and the world is different. There will always be schools that place better but there are no absolutes. Banks want the best and brightest and those come from top rated schools. But today, not only at those schools.

When I was at Syracuse I interviewed with Goldman. But not for a banker job. It was for operations. Today - schools from Elon to Denver to many have investment funds and students are getting opportunities in banking, money management and more at both boutique and mainstream firms.

IMHO the world, including these finance fieids, are changing and changing rapidly. NYC and Wall Street are a shell of what they once were and yes I Banks, just like car companies, offer opportunities in many areas but you will find various I Banking or even PE roles of students from many schools and they will be in many cities.

I write from DC dropping off my daughter for her internship at arguably the top think tank in the world. She doesnā€™t go to Northwestern or Gtown or Harvard or Johns Hopkins. Yes, they have people from there but sheā€™s from a small, unranked regional school. If you want it bad enough, youā€™ll make your opportunity. Even at the top schools, you have to want these type roles. They are not handed out like cookies.

I wish you luck. I would, as mentioned b4, narrow to schools of true interest and I believe the language flagship is so unique and itā€™s not just IU but UGA and Wisconsin would be other great ones - they just seem like theyā€™d add to your overall experience. Thereā€™s many wonderful schools and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have options.

Good luck.