Chance Me - Ivys/T20

I think it’s critical to research schools academic flow - school by school vs. just choosing some based on what you read.

I’m alarmed at the size of the gen ed at my kid’s school. She’d still have chosen it but then I think about the open schools - and they don’t even have to hit all the areas. And apparently British Schools have little general ed.

So look at the flow - and look beyond the school name.

In thinking about your college list some more, I’d take a look at some of these schools for your interests (which has a fair bit of overlap with @soozievt’s excellent list). Feel free to keep several reaches on your list, but there are several high stat/strong students who have been disappointed to see how competitive the admissions process is and wish they had applied to more schools that weren’t as rejective. The schools here are no guarantees of acceptance, and nearly all reject more than half of their applicants. They’re just not AS competitive as most of the schools on your list. They do, however, provide an excellent education:

• Brandeis (MA)
  • Connecticut College
  • Davidson (NC)
  • Dickinson (PA )
  • Lafayette (PA )
  • Macalester (MN)
  • Occidental (CA)
  • U. of Massachusetts (which also gets you access to the 5-college consortium with other schools like Amherst)
  • U. of Pittsburgh (PA ) which has rolling admissions and an early application here (like August) will give you peace of mind of a good acceptance, and your best shot at merit here
  • U. of Richmond (VA)
  • U. of Rochester (NY)
  • Wesleyan (CT), a bit more competitive than some of the others, but I think you’d find its open curriculum appealing

The Catholic colleges generally have more extensive core requirements, which is why some like Trinity and Providence were kept off the list.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.