Chance Me: Non-Resident US Citizen - Rising Junior [IGCSE, business or economics, <$50k]

Not necessarily because the bulk of their scholarship money goes to instate applicants from Indiana. That said, the COA at IU is close to your budget.

1 Like

Indiana University is a public university, and as far as I know, they are need blind for admissions for citizens. Someone else will need to verify. But this has nothing to do with aid. It’s about admissions! And at Kelley, you are an auto admit…so being need blind or need aware wouldnt matter at all for admissions because you would be admitted automatically based on your stats.

Re: aid. It’s a public university. I don’t know what they do regarding institutional need based aid or merit aid for students not Indiana residents.

1 Like

As an overseas US citizen, when considering public colleges you should look at states that enable you to get residency after the first year, notably Utah. The University of Utah would be a safety, and quite cheap ($45K for tuition, room and board the first year, $25K per year after that).

4 Likes

You could also include schools where merit money (non need based) could get you within budget. There are several schools that have auto merit. Perhaps @tsbna44 can help guide.

Among non-auto-merit schools, I think your stats give you a good shot at getting some merit money at Rutgers, which has a very well regarded business school. If you do get merit $$, Rutgers will come under budget.

(ETA: check if you do indeed qualify for any need based aid)

2022 UC admit rates by residency
2022 Freshman admit rates

Campus CA RESIDENT OUT OF STATE INTERNATIONAL
Berkeley 14.5% 8.6% 5.5%
Davis 32.3% 59.8% 43%
Irvine 18.2% 36.6% 21%
Los Angeles 9.2% 8.9% 5.8%
Merced 100% 78.6% 81.7%
Riverside 66% 88.1% 68.%
San Diego 23.8% 31.5% 15.5%
Santa Barbara 26.7% 28.8% 19.7%
Santa Cruz 43.2% 70.7% 55.4%

As noted none of the UC’s would be considered safeties on your list and it is a moot point, if your budget is $50K since costs will be around $72K/year as a Non-resident. Also UC’s are test blind.

For other California schools to look at and may get you into the affordable zone with merit:
Chapman University
Loyola Marymount
Pepperdine
Santa Clara University
University of San Diego

3 Likes

You should find out from your dad two things.

1. What you qualify for aid wise. Since Northwestern is your top choice, you should run their net price calculator to see what it will cost. If you are full pay and he can’t afford $91290 a year and it will be more when you go with annual increases. And they allot $1314 for transport - you will be more - then you take it off now.

College is emotion but it’s time to get unemotional in keeping your family solvent - so if you get aid then great. Hence look at the NPC.

1. What is the family willing to pay ? Have they told you $50k or are you assuming ? Does that include travel to India?

Many people can afford full pay but choose not to. I would not have let my kids apply to Northwestern because i am full pay but set a $50k budget.

So when you have a budget - this matters more than name brand. But get back to us after you formalize budget with your family and check the NPC for schools like any, Babson etc.

And I don’t agree with you on UC that they are great safeties. Plus if you want business only UCR and UCI would be on your list. Others have some aspects like UCSD and UCB. Just that they are great options (but def not safeties) but they need to go as does Michigan. They were not safeties. That’s overstating it. Unc will meet need (run the NPC). Only they and uva meet need of publics. But if you want business, neither is direct admit. You reapply for junior year. So UNC is over budget without need and a risk if you want business.

So econ and business are two different things ? Which do you want to study ? If business, what discipline ? A few schools do include an Econ major within the b school.

Agree on IU if business but not over Purdue. Maybe in addition. Purdue is strong in operations. IU will come under $50k but not assured. Purdue will.

Schools to 100% meet budget that are strong (I’m using business) - Alabama Culverhouse, Arizona Eller (if a 3.9 here unfounded and unweighted) will both be well under $ wise. Between 3.75 and 3.9 Arizona makes budget but less so. Bama $20k abd AZ $25k ish (both safeties) as will Florida State. UF Warrington, also top ranked, will be under full pay. Arizona State Carey is good and Michigan State broad too. U Kansas and Nebraska would work too and are nice names.

Schools like South Carolina Darla Moore, Miami of Ohio Farmer, UGA Terry, UTK Haslam, and U Delaware would likely get you under budget assuming $50k. UMN Carlson might fit too.

Do you have a desired discipline if business ? Ie accounting. Finance. Supply chain. MIS Etc.

5 Likes

Thank you for all the Information! My dad sent me the following image for the net price calculator for Northwestern:
They’ll meet 100% of demonstrated need I think. I am leaning towards Economics or perhaps Management since I’m more interested in Macroeconomics and hence I’m looking towards either business schools or the arts and sciences ones which have Economics as a major.

Thank you! Isn’t Loyola a little more selective?

Wouldn’t this be possible in Michigan as well?

Are you asking about getting instate status at University of Michigan after the first year? If so…no…that is not the case at Michigan, unless your family all moves to Michigan prior to the start of your freshman year of college.

2 Likes

Loyola Marymount is not more selective than many of the UCs.

1 Like

I think you mean Missouri.

LMU could be a safety if affordable and this Loyola is in Los Angeles. There are several Loyola’s throughout the country.

https://admission.lmu.edu/learnmore/prospectivestudents/firstyearapplicants/firstyearclassprofile/

Your SAT alone puts you well above the average.

1 Like

The net price calculators are currently set up for students starting college this fall 2023. That is NOT you. Use the results with caution. First…the NPC right now is using income from 2021. When you start college in 2025, it will be the 2023 income. Plus there are some changes going in the FAFSA calculations which might affect college formulas as well. And financial aid policies do sometimes change.

1 Like

Note that each college may define “need” differently. Do not assume that one college’s net price calculator result will be similar to that of another college’s net price calculator result.

Also, if the net price calculator does not ask specifically about types of income that your parents have (e.g. rental real estate, farm, small business, etc. other than wage / salary income from labor and small amounts of investment income), then that can be a source of inaccuracy. Income from sources outside the US may also lead to variations due to differences in how it is documented.

4 Likes

In this instance at least they asked about other types of income, however, it does come from outside the US.

Perfect. Though safe to ED assuming he filled it out correctly.

You still need affordable safeties. I listed many. U of Alabama is certain to meet the Northwestern estimate. Not sure of others that are solid names (Binghamton or other SUNY) to get to that same price. Florida State if you secure an OOS waiver too.

Btw - sent to Cambridge means little. If they publish that’s good.

Find out his ‘budget’. Is it $29k or $50k? Your dad might say if NU is $29k, why would I pay more - even if you don’t get in. Psychology works the mind in different ways.

Run NPCs for all the schools that meet need - like Gtown. All will give a different #.

Management (general) not the best major. Econ better. If in a b school typically best to have a specific function in my opinion. But you could look at the career outcomes by major for each school. If not posted you can ask.

Btw I know achools like Trinity San Antonio and Kalamazoo, both outstanding, look for $35k payments from international. You aren’t. But perhaps with merit ahd need they’d get you there. Both are great and Trinity a likely. Kalamazoo a safety. Will be a lot more.

Yes I am leaning more towards Econ and will run the NPC for the others too. The report is called the IPQ (International Project Qualification) and it will be graded externally at the University of Cambridge and its results shall come out in October. Various universities such as Yale, Columbia, NYU and Duke etc accept it as per this:
Statement of support for Global Perspectives & Research A Level
My school counsellor told me it will look good on my application. So it would be ideal to keep it right?

1 Like

Some colleges only offer a general business major, within which students can use in-major electives to emphasize a subarea (finance, accounting, management, marketing, etc.) if they like, while other colleges offer each business subarea as a major.

Economics is usually a liberal arts type of major, although some colleges offer it under the business school/department. In the latter case, it is more likely to have additional business-type requirements. Math intensity of economics varies at different colleges.

2 Likes

Not to make your life unnecessarily more complex, but does this mean you would consider colleges which are very strong in Econ but do not offer undergraduate business programs? Because there are a whole bunch of those, and some have excellent records of placing people into the most competitive business positions, business schools, and so on. They just don’t see business per se as something undergraduates should study.

But you may have already considered and rejected that option.

2 Likes