Chance Me Please! - RD 2023

Hi, I just finished my application for GWU and I’m wondering what my chances are of getting in. It is one of my dream schools, so I just want to be prepared for whatever outcome. I also am wondering if I have any chance of getting any scholarships since I can’t financially afford to attend without aid.

Major: Political Science

Asian - American ,First Generation , Female from CA

GPA: 3.85 UW, 4.35 W
ACT: 31
SAT: 1410 (Superscore)
APs: Chem (3), World (4), Psych (4), Lit (5), APUSH (4), APES (4), Bio (4), Stats (N/A), Comp Sci (NA), Econ (N/A), Gov (N/A), Human Geo (N/A), Lang (N/A), Spanish 4 (N/A)
(N/A means I am taking this upcoming May)
Honors: Acc Bio, Honors World Geography

ExtraCurr: Academic World Quest (Social Science Quiz Bowl); Captain
Vice President of an Area of Scouting
Vice President of 2 Scout Troops
President of 1 Scout Troop
President of a School Club
Chairperson of the City Youth Committee
Band/Drumline - 2 Years
Volunteer at the local Hospital
Part of Link Crew
A “Miss _____” (Pageant)

Work:
Worked at a Boy Scout Camp for 2 summers teaching World Citizenship and Citizenship in America

REC:
Pretty strong; One from a History teacher I’ve known since I was a freshman (Did not send to me)
One From a Language Teacher. 8/10

Essays:

• Common App: Creative Experience → Why I want to be a politician
  • Supplemental: Homelessness in my city, tying into food insecurity

Thank you so much!

I think you have an excellent chance!

@girlidk thanks so much! I really want to get in!

@slclassof2023 ah same here, hope to see you there next fall!

@NHuffer If you have the time! You are a legend on this thread!

That’s a very impressive application- I think you’re a lock as long as you display interest sufficiently.

As far as scholarships, I think that at a minimum (assuming your parents are very wealthy) you’ll receive enough aid to cover the cost of attendance, including federal Stafford loans. This basically means you wouldn’t have to pay anything out of pocket (with the exception of your parents’ “expected family contribution”, which you can use calculators online to get an estimate), but you’ll have to take out loans on the order of $15K/year. So, unless you get merit aid (which I think is a possibility) you’ll end-up owing a bank $60K upon graduation.

I don’t usually inlclude all the financial stuff but thought I’d share since it was a concern of yours. I had the same worries when I applied as my parents were unable to help me at all.