Chance me: US Student to Oxford, UCL, and LSE

Hi! I totally understand this – I actually dropped AP Stats to focus on my other subjects. I’m making an assumption as @collegemom3717 made, partially from confidence (96+ average in these subjects so far) and our school’s 4.0 average AP result metric. Thank you for your reply!

Hi! I’m really sorry for going quiet – I reorganized myself completely and actually did take this advice! I dropped AP Stats and I’m making my goals slightly more achievable.

Genuinely thank you for your concern – I took a lot of this to heart! Luckily I did actually get a 1550 on the November SAT without tutoring, haha. I took Algebra 2 in the 9th grade so I just needed my math section refreshed, imo. My quarter grades have been high but I’m also cutting down on my ec workload slightly to assure good results!

Hi! I spent a long time thinking about this and I’ve definitely shifted my focus to PPE as a pre-law major with everyone’s advice. I love philosophy (and I’m experienced through debate) and polisci (with relevant coursework) so it’s an objectively better idea. Thank you for your suggestion because it really hit home! I initially wanted a jumpstart on practical research + writing skills, but you’re right that it’s useless for someone whose eventual goal is practicing US law.

Thank you for your active advice in this reply section!! It’s been super useful and I’m sorry for going MIA. As you can see by my other replies, I’ve definitely shifted my outlook. PPE seems more fitting and I’ve managed my junior year expectations. :smiley:

Hello! Thank you for your really practical advice – I actually did shift to a more PPE based outlook. My initial goal was to get an LLB and then an LLM, but that seems unnecessarily difficult given the alternatives and my current skillset provides better for different degrees. Your information was so interesting and very assuring!

Reading your other replies, I definitely understand what you mean. Taking these APs mainly keeps me competitive with my peers at school for American universities, though, so I won’t be dropping them. As I’ve said in a few other replies, I shifted my focus to PPE. As a result, next year I only plan to sit for Micro+Macro, Comparative, Lit, and Euro.

Hi! Thank you for replying. I understand this point, and as it stands I won’t need aid.

Thank you for replying so extensively to all the points raised! This is what makes hanging out on this site worthwhile.

When you mention reading my other posts, you maybe talk about reading former posts in other threads in which I have waxed lyrical about the almost diametrically opposed philosophies underlying higher education in the US and the UK. (If you haven’t read them, you may want to - I think they’re worth reading, but of course I would, wouldn’t I).

The point being that you can’t optimise your chances in one system without trade offs concerning the other system so you do need to think about whether you have a firm favourite or whether you want to try to balance your chances in both.

It appears you are taking the hardest route, trying to balance your chances. You just need to be aware that that precludes “optimising” your chances at Oxford.

Thank you! I’ve looked over your other posts comparing the US to other systems in general (like Germany) which I found really enlightening as far as the core differences go. In regards to my plans for high school, I do intend to heed your advice by focusing on SC’s since honestly, Oxford + UK universities are a firm favorite of mine. I’m scared to put all my eggs in one basket, though, with UCAS allowing students to apply to only 5 schools. That’s where I want to retain some balance.

I think you misunderstood my comment but never mind. Here’s a few examples of the geographic mobility afforded by a UK law degree/legal qualification:

• A student with a UK LLB degree can take the New York bar exam and qualify to practice without further study in the US
  • For the purpose of being admitted to the Singapore bar, the Singapore government recognizes law degrees from 11 UK law schools vs. 4 in the US. Similarly, India recognizes 46 UK law schools vs. 16 in the US
  • A few countries such as Australia and Hong Kong allow UK lawyers to practice without further qualification
  • The widespread use of English law in international business transactions and the relatively high number of UK law firms with offices abroad also provide UK lawyers with many opportunities to work/practice in different countries. As I mentioned upthread, a New York qualified lawyer also enjoys a high degree of geographic (international) mobility.

Thank you, this makes sense! I’m still mainly interested in pursuing a non-law degree, though.