Chance Me!!

Hi!! I am currently a Junior at a private school in New Hampshire but am looking for a serious change in scenery and Miami looks like the absolute perfect place for that. This whole college process is scaring me to death because I hear it is harder for out of state kids to get into these schools, and I had some serious health struggles freshman year that ruined my grades for 9th grade so I have some low grades on my transcript. If anyone could chance me and maybe give me some other schools that I could match with as well I will give you a virtual hug

Scores–
Intended major: Marine Biology
SAT: 1310 (590 reading/720 math)
GPA: our school only gives us them once a year at the very end of the year but it is currently a 3.2. I know this is low but I finished freshman year with a 2.5, got it up to 3.2 after sophomore year and currently have all straight A’s and am hoping for it to go up to at least a 3.6 or 3.7 by the time I apply. (I heard that an increase shows commitment ?)

AP’s:
none yet but I plan on taking AP Environmental Science and AP gov senior year.
My school is weird as they only let you take one or two AP’s a year.

EC’s:
Varsity swim team all four years, voted MVP sophomore and junior year when my team also won the state championship.
four time state champion
20+ hours a week to club swimming
debate club- two years
art club- three years, president junior year
NH Envirothon team member- three years. where we learn all the information ever about New Hampshire wildlife and ecosystems and then go and compete against all the other schools in the state at the end of the year. super fun and my team placed well last year!
environmental club- two years
60 hours of volunteering at a local marine conservation non-profit. I work in their booth on the beach and show kids all the different crabs and fish in the touch tank and then tell them about whales!! its super cute
50 hours of volunteering and soon to be job at local marine research center, basically doing most of the same things as the other program but I go out on the boats and tag sharks occasionally with this program.
Spent 2 weeks at a school in the bahamas helping a masters student from oxford write her graduate thesis on invasive species (lionfish in particular), tagging sharks and sea turtles, and helping with deep sea research. absolutely the best experience of my life and will probably write an essay about it.
Helped canvas for bernie sanders during his presidential run in 2016

That is basically it, I am hoping to get some good teacher recs and I think my essays will be okay. Thank you guys sooo much for chancing me!!

Hi! I’m currently looking to go to the same school (more specifically, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences) and I’m wondering how good my chances of getting in are as well. Do you know of anyone that has been accepted to UM or anything like that? We’re in the same boat but it’s frustrating because no one will respond…

Hey, for starters Miami is a private school with a ton of international students so out of state vs in state doesn’t make a difference at all.

UM is definitely a big reach for you, and i’d suggest studying like crazy for the sat/act.
UM’s average unweighted gpa last year was a 3.7 plus most of those kids took like 9 APs throughout high school, and their SAT average was a little higher than what you have as well.