Chance midwestern kid for the coasts [MO resident, 4.0/35 for Physics or Philosophy, ideally with merit]

But Arizona is as strong and it’s dirt cheap.

If you don’t need to be coastal.

Tulsa for small and Alabama are insanely good deals.

You should check out prof profiles at each school - what are they researching and does it interest you?

3 Likes

Pomona is part of a consortium that totals roughly 7,000 students. The colleges are a big like the Cambridge colleges - all abutting each other on the same campus but each representing a different sensibility. The Physics/Philosphy profile would match Pomona perfectly.

You may also be interested in Ben Franklin Scholars at Penn (in Arts&Sciences for a Physics major)
https://catalog.upenn.edu/undergraduate/academic-resources/scholars/

Brown’s and Amherst’s open curriculum may also work well. URochester is not as open but quite flexible, too.

Look into Kalamazoo, Wooster, Lawrence?

2 Likes

This student has clearly stated that cost is not a factor…IOW, he isn’t looking for some bargain school. If he gets merit, that would be nice, but it’s not a necessary thing.

So…again I say @Apdem you are fortunate that your parents are willing to pay your college costs wherever. If you want to look for lower price options, you have been given some. But if your family is willing to pay full costs wherever you attend, consider that a fabulous gift to you.

I say again, I think you have a good chance of acceptance at some schools on your current list.

9 Likes

Thanks everyone. Will look at some of the options. Particularly the NMF options. Lots of good schools so hope I can find a good fit.

2 Likes

I’ll disagree with you.

I interpret what he has said as - I want to see where I can get in but ultimately cost matter.

Because Arizona is a leading Physics school he gets the best of both.

From OP and we don’t know what their parents think. @thumper1 yiou can interpret OP’s comments below as you want but I see it entirely differently. Again, we don’t know if OP has given the parents the lowdown on all the comments and if their POV is included.

From OP’s words - this does not say full pay to me. In fact, I think this student, like many, would love to have a big name acceptance for ‘bragging’ purposes even with little to no intent to attend.

“Ideally have some merit $$$”

“Cost is a factor but not necessarily a barrier.
Wondering on chances of getting in but will also weigh costs in decision.”

“Had heard Tuftsdidn’t give aid?”

“Thanks. The NMF is definitely something I am considering as well.
Not sure of the overlap with physics but will look more, especially Alabama.”

“It was on my list. Was worried as very expensive and wasn’t sure if known outside of Cal.”

“So merit aid is a consideration but would be willing to consider paying full price if necessary.”

And I’m assuming you’re both going to move the conversation forward

I’m sure you will find more than one good fit! You have lots of options to consider. Have fun researching them and learning more about them. And good luck! It’s an exciting time!

2 Likes

From the Claremonts, Claremont McKenna appears in this site, for example:

1 Like

My kid has ended up in Wooster. We found Kalamazoo really good as well. One semester down I will start a thread about experiences in Wooster.

He is doing double major in Biochemistry and Data Science. Biochemistry was the main and Wooster offering Data science as an integrated major was one of the factors in deciding.

As for R1 he did get into quite a few good ones like UCSD, UIUC and UWS but eventually allure of small classes and more individual research opportunities at LACs trumped the brand name allure.

10 Likes

For future reference, two colleges in the nation (Hamilton and CU) offer a general summer program in philosophy. You may want to keep these programs in mind should you decide to pursue summer study at some point: Undergraduate Workshops in Philosophy - The American Philosophical Association .

4 Likes

Thanks for the update and corrections. I love to see that he chose in part for fit and that he’ll take advantage of the opportunities offered as he heads toward a PhD hopefully.

4 Likes

Thinking out of the box, look into the Joint Degree in Physics&Philosophy at St Andrews, Scotland.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/specs/2019-20/USHFPHIJPHY.html
This is a top-level university, internationally recognized, and tuition is about 35k (28£).
More specialized than a US college but excellent academics&quality of life+used to US students.
UEdinburgh if you like this system but want to be in a European capital with access to most cities in Europe.
Downside: not warm&sunny - more or less Vancouver weather (?).

2 Likes

Have you thought about the University of Southern California? They give merit scholarships for National Merit finalists.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.