Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Both CS and ME are competitive admission to change into the major, according to Change of Major into College of Engineering | College of Engineering - UC Santa Barbara .

If he wants one of those majors, UCSB L&S undeclared would be less attractive than colleges with direct admission to the major or a less difficult major declaration process.

1 Like

Looks like CPSLO students who stay on track by choosing courses that fulfill requirements first are get priority for the next quarterā€™s registration. But that means that students who fall off track will find it difficult to catch up and risk falling further behind (because they have worse registration priority).

3 Likes

That is an interesting point, thanks!

Priority based on actual semesters or quarters in residence would seem to be the most forgiving system for students that may fall behind in terms of units or degree requirements completed.

Better would be if departments could set priority order for their courses, so that (for example) introductory courses are prioritized for frosh/soph students who need them for their majors over junior/senior students looking for electives. (Not sure if CPSLO does this.)

2 Likes

CPSLO has a course flowchart and recommendations or suggestions when to take courses. Follow the flowchart and a student should be fine.

No, you donā€™t want to fall behind your cohort or one MAY have a difficult time getting those courses, because other classes (freshman, sophomores, etc.) behind you and ahead of you may also want those same courses.

A 1st year must be careful or prudent when switching out of blocked-in courses. Those courses may be difficult to register for in the future, because they may not offered every quarter and/or a student is competing with other cohorts.

Looks like it will be a stretch for DS to complete the Cal Poly Honors app which needs 2 essays(500-2000 words). Heā€™s busy with his studies, work and ECs.

Iā€™m going to respectfully disagree. The flowchart is but one path through.

It is important to trace through all of the courses that build on one and other in order not to miss a prerequisite and fall behind. Many courses stand on their own though. Additionally, students that bring credit in can take things earlier than the flowchart recommends.

The secret to success is to be as flexible as possible, with multiple possibilities plotted out each time youā€™re ready to book classes. That way, if you are locked out of a course, which happened to my son twice, you can still fill a schedule.

In his specific case he couldnā€™t get Physics III his second term. He had all the prerequisites to take Statics, usually a second year class, during his first year. He also couldnā€™t get a 4th year course that he was on track to take 3rd year, so he took a graduate level class.

2 Likes

Yes, when choosing between available classes, the priority should usually be prerequisites to requirements, then requirements, then electives. If taking a prerequisite early is possible, that can add some flexibility in following quarter or semester schedules in case a class is full or something like that.

Son got into Washington & Lee as a CS admit with excellent merit aid which brings CoA down to $22000.

Need to talk to him if he will be interested going OOS.

10 Likes

I thought W&L had full tuition or full ride. Didnā€™t know they had partial merit.

Gorgeous campus. Cool town. Go check it out !!

Ps donā€™t know about CS. Might need to check the curriculum.

How do the WLU CS major and course offerings fit his interests? Also, for engineering, WLU only has a general engineering major that is not ABET accredited, and it does not intend to seek ABET accreditation, which can matter if he wants to do ME and get a PE license (not as common as in civil engineering, but probably common enough that ME is probably the second most important major to have ABET accreditation).

How does the WLU social scene (e.g. heavy fraternity and sorority participation) fit or not fit his preferences?

Small schools tend to be where fit for the student is more important, increasing the likelihood of a great fit or a poor fit (as opposed to the greater likelihood of an ok or acceptable fit at a large school).

1 Like

Son said no to W&L, he applied for Johnson scholarship(full ride) but didnt get it. I am happy because of the excellent merit aid he received(~66K).

He is certain it would be Cal Poly but waiting for Berkely results. Kids dont tell exactly whatā€™s going on in their minds.

I am asking him to decline UCs not interested so other people on WL may get a chance.

6 Likes

Finally managed to submit 2 honors essays for Cal Poly.

8 Likes

Son got admission to Berkely EECS(as per their update he got selected out of more than 125,000 applicants).

13 Likes

Big decision! Great programs, both with awesome outcomes that couldnā€™t be more different! Good luck!

Not intending to start a firestorm here - I think he should come to Cal. BIG congrats!

Thank you. His mom definitely thinks so :slight_smile:

Mom is always right!

1 Like

And sit in Intro to Comp Sci with over 1000 of his closest friends :wink:

3 Likes

1000 people donā€™t go to those classes. Most value comes from discussion sections which are capped at 35.

@smbayguy - I hope you talk to people who have actually taken those classes at Cal. The CS classes are phenomenally well run and I really hope you donā€™t let the tired stereotypes get in the way of your decision making.