Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Cal Poly SLO uses 9-11th grades for the a-g courses with the 8 semester Honors point cap. For SLO, maximum GPA would be around 4.32 due to the additional 9th grade classes used in the calculation. They do not use an impaction index but Multi Criteria Algorithm where additional a-g courses get extra points in their application review.

What is the math impact for SJSU, how do we calculate that for the engineering majors?

### Impaction Consideration Factor: College of Engineering Only ### Impaction Point Calculation Value
Math Coursework Grade Point Average (GPA) 400 points x Math GPA

This is added to the original impaction index points.

Is there a cap on the number of honors for math GPA as well?

That has not been spelled out by SJSU. I would use the conservative approach and use the unweighted Math GPA in the calculation to determine the index. You can always call SJSU admissions and ask, then report back here.

I collected Cal Poly GPAs from DP thread for Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CE) and Software Engineering (SE) for In-State CA students and here are the results:

CS -

CE -

SE -

I am feeling confident that my kid can get into his dream college/major. Although past results may only give some insight, I am more hopeful now.

Nice. Good Luck.

Just make sure you are also including 9th grade in the GPA calculation for cal poly.

1 Like

I don’t know if I am making a mistake calculating his 9-11 GPA.

Total semesters - 6 in 9th + 28(10-11) will make GPA lower at 4.21

6 seems on the low side for 9th grade.

Total(A-G): 6+28 = 34 (All A)
Honors: >=8
GPA: (34*4+8)/34 = 4.23

That is a competitive GPA for SLO. They do take into account other factors. See @GumbyMom reply above.

You will see similar GPA’s for waitlisted and denied students so you really cannot make any assumptions just based on SLO GPA. Not wanting to be a Debbie downer but all you can infer from the GPA data is that he is within range of the admitted students.

Just use the Rogerhub GPA calculator with the 8 semester Honors cap and include the 9th grades = SLO GPA.

5 Likes

I would guess that having only 6 in 9th grade might be due to classes being pass/fail in spring 2020. That’s what my rising senior has on his transcript.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I made a mistake with semesters. He had 7 classes in 9th and if i take out PE, it will be 12 semesters.

As per Roger Hub, his GPA would be:

4.00 UW, 4.20 W & WC

I took a deep dive into College Vine and added his stats. Results are very interesting, and Kid now is considering more colleges (all Computer Science or Engineering only).

Safety: 85-97% chance

Cal Poly Pomona
RPI
RIT
SJSU
UAH
UA
UCSC
UCR
UCM
UPITT
USC(South Carolina)

Target:
Cal Poly SLO - 66%
UCD - 57%

Hard Target: UCI, UCSD may be due to adding his preferences like % who got job offered, career prospects etc.
UCI - 31%
UCSD - 40%
UCSB - 39%

Reaches:
UCB -15
UCLA - 16
GA TECH - 16
Harvey Mudd - 11
Stanford - 6
USC(Univ of Southern CA)-21%

SJSU should not be considered a safety for CS.

Most recent threshold was equivalent to a 4.35 GPA, which is near the highest possible (weighted capped) if the frosh applicant will not graduate high school in Santa Clara County (worth the equivalent of +0.25 GPA).

3 Likes

In regards to Cal Poly SLO being considered a “target,” you should read last year’s Class of 2026 thread. The thread contains some applicants that were accepted to UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, other UC’s, but rejected at Cal Poly SLO.

I wouldn’t count it as a “target.” As @gumbymom states above, based on SLO’s enrollment projections, and assuming a yield of 1/3, CS will have a roughly 10% +/- acceptance rate.

2 Likes

Collegevine estimates a chance for admission to the university as a whole, not to any specific major or program. Admission to an engineering major is usually much more competitive with significantly lower chances of admission.

4 Likes

Our experience with college vine was that it was way overly optimistic.

As noted, it doesn’t take into account intended major.

4 Likes

Just to follow-up, assuming this 66% chance is about the same-ish as acceptance rate, then for the 210 CS enrollment spots projected by SLO, their yield would have to be around 5% so that SLO would accept around 4,200 applicants of the 6,784 projected CS apps for 2022-2023.

And we know, for the Fall of 2022, that the entire College of Engineering (CENG) at SLO accepted 21.9% of the 19,589 applicants or 4,290 applicants. SLO is shooting for a CENG enrollment of about 1,300 students, which would mean a CENG yield of about 30%. Of course, CS would be much more difficult than other engineering majors.

1 Like

Agreed.

Also doesn’t take into account hooks (or lack thereof) which affects acceptance rates, or for that matter any other holistic measures.

1 Like