Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Ross Hulman is EA(non binding). If it clashes with Stanford, we will withdraw Ross Hulman app.

Itā€™s not Rose thatā€™s a problem. Itā€™s Stanford.

Youā€™ll be violating their REA rules:

It is Stanford policy that, if you apply to Stanford with a decision plan of Restrictive Early Action, you may not apply to any other private college/university under their Early Action, Restrictive Early Action, Early Decision, or Early Notification plan

Your high school GC is ok with this?

1 Like

Kid will check with his GC. If thereā€™s an option to withdraw from RHIT, we will do it before applying to Stanford.

Worst case, he will apply RD to Stanford.

What I meant is, how is the GC ok with your son violating the REA rules?
Because clearly, applying to Rose Hulman (a private college) in early action violates Stanfordā€™s REA rules.

Perhaps the counselor is not aware or not keeping track of the individual student that closely, given that this is a public high school where the counselor has hundreds of students and other issues besides college applications to handle, in contrast to an elite private school where dedicated college counselors handle a much smaller number of students each.

3 Likes

Perhaps he can switch the RHIT application from early to regular if he really wants to apply REA to Stanford.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do. If an applicant has a chance at Stanford, theyā€™ll get into Rose RD. Thereā€™s no reason to eliminate Rose completely on the extreme long shot of getting into Stanford.

4 Likes

Agreed. REA at Stanford and RD to RH is the far better route.

@smbayguy, I hope this discussion has highlighted the importance of reading and understanding the rules at each school.

Thank you all for your feedback, Moved Ross Hulman to RD (they confirmed in an email). Stanford app will be submitted this evening after S is back from his school. For some reason, his HS GC is confident that he can get into Stanford or Caltech.

He will apply Caltech in RD.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no doubt that he can. Itā€™s a longshot that he will. Itā€™s just the nature of the beast of having far too many fully qualified candidates. This is especially true of Stanford, where legacy status is considered.

6 Likes

And to add on that Stanford has many employees (professors, MDā€™s, etc.) whose kids also get ā€œpreferred statusā€ in admissions as well. Additionally, Stanford also has a large recruited student-athlete population too.

6 Likes

I also think a 690 in math will be tough. Only 8% of Stanford admits had Math SATs below 700. Caltech doesnā€™t publish that in their CDS, but I would be surprised if they had any admits with SATs below 700 because they are so tech focused.

3 Likes

Caltech is test blind, but I agree with your larger point: Stanford and Caltech will be tough.

2 Likes

His GC is very wrong, unfortunately.

1 Like

No guts no glory !!

1 Like

Ah, I didnā€™t realize that they extended. :+1:

i donā€™t see any reason not to apply. I just think that anyone who is confident about any studentā€™s chances at those schools, barring some outstanding trait, like child of a President, or USAMO winner, are misguided.

3 Likes

Or completely out of touch, or just being nice, or was misinterpreted.

In any case, same end result.

Sure, not saying OPā€™s son shouldnā€™t try. Weā€™re just setting expectations based on the studentā€™s profile.

Yes, through Fall 2025.

4 Likes

Hey, you miss 100% of the shots that you donā€™t take. :grinning:

2 Likes

S didnā€™t want to apply to any Ivies, he wanted to apply only for Stanford & Caltech. I agree with above poster, you never know unless you apply.

Heā€™s going as Test Optional, has good grades and tons of ECs. I am hopeful that he will be selected at Cal Poly SLO(Hopefully) or one of the UCs.

2 Likes

A quick story. Several years ago, our S, was not going to apply to Stanford REA because of the odds. He heard from everyone that his chances were near zero. He had great grades and scores, but everyone told him that all successful applicants had stellar grades and test scores. His ECs were OK, but everyone told him that without medals from major math or science competitions his prospects were low.

The day before his application was due, an English teacher told him to do whatā€™s in his heart and not look back.

His years at Stanford, for him, were magical.

Best wishes. Good luck.

12 Likes