Chances of NOT living in freshman dorm next semester?

<p>just curious if anyone knows the chances of getting out of living in dorm next semester- S has tried to deal with a bad roommate situation-parties, not cleaning up and now OUR broken TV… I know that there’s a form where you can request exemption- anyone done this?</p>

<p>Has he been in contact with a RA or housing about the situation? My D is an OOS Freshman and lives off campus so it can be done.</p>

<p>If he is in a fraternity he might get to sign up to move in to replace a senior. Even if he is bot there might be some rooms that will ope up because other freshmen might not be returning to school or other circumstances. I know there was a list at my daughters soroity house for girls to sign up to take the place of graduating seniors places.
I would have him talk to his RA first thing Monday to start the process.</p>

<p>thx- he has not contacted RA- not sure he 's even seen the RA often…he has tried to handle it himself and i’ve told the other boy’s moms who have cleaned up the suite several times…hopefully he can find a new suite or move to the house that he is renting next year- family bought it and it’s unoccupied but don’t want him there alone…his frat house only lets seniors live in frat house as far as I know…</p>

<p>Sounds like there are additional room/suite mates involved. I suggest they get together and speak with the RA. A parent to parent talk with with the offending roommate’s parents might be in order as well.</p>

<p>I’ve discussed this with the other parents- haven’t mentioned yet that he wants to move out…I plan to talk to S this weekend…</p>

<p>I’m going to go ahead and jump in just to set some expectations upfront. It is highly unlikely that our staff will approve a request to cancel your contract mid year, based on the reasons above. Roommate conflicts that we are not aware of, or moving into a Greek house are not approved reasons to move mid year.</p>

<p>We have several processes in place to help students in these situations. Did your student and his roommates complete a roommate agreement? Have they discussed this with an RA? Did your student attempt a room change request this semester?</p>

<p>Hlsess, please urge your student to speak with the RA or Community Director as soon as possible so we can begin to start working on improving his situation. We certainly want your student to be in a positive environment that contributes to his success here at UA, and we will work him in a number of ways to get his living experience in a better place. </p>

<p>Hope this helps,
Janine</p>

<p>Owning an off-campus house doesn’t affect policies regarding on-campus lease cancellation. As UAHousing mentioned, it’s very unlikely that UA Housing would approve such a cancellation, especially when they weren’t informed of any issues beforehand.</p>

<p>On-campus rooms open up throughout the year. He may have to move to a different residence hall however. </p>

<p>Your son doesn’t have to inform his roommates that he is considering switching rooms, though if he does decide to switch rooms, it would be a good idea to inform them so they don’t wonder why he’s not there.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that rowdy freshmen often calm down during spring semester once they see how their antics have affected their grades. One of the issues I have with all-freshman housing is that apart from RAs and other UA student employees, there aren’t any upperclassmen in the dorms to show freshmen how one can have a social life without being overly rowdy. </p>

<p>Since the roommates’ moms are already coming in to clean the suite, I doubt they’d be surprised to see your son switch rooms. It’s quite possible that they’re on your son’s side in regards to the roommates, but since they can’t really control what their sons do when they leave, they feel that their only option is to come and clean up the room after the fact.</p>

<p>Since your son has his own room in a suite, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to be in his room, the bathroom, or the kitchenette whenever he desires. That said, I highly suggest having your son asking his friends if they know anyone with an empty bed in their dorm room or who want to switch rooms with your son. This greatly speeds up the room switching process. Alternatively, your son could hang out in a friend’s room for most of the evening and only return to his room to shower and sleep. If he has a significant other whose roommates are okay with him staying over, he could also spend the occasional night in their room.</p>