Chances? UM!!

<p>First Generation to attend college
South Asian Male
top 20% ranking
I reside in PA.
I attend a public school.
I want to major in psychology.</p>

<p>ACT: 32 E:34 M:33 R:28 S:31</p>

<p>GPA: 96% (unweighted) I don't know my weighted. Also I'm unsure what it is exactly on the 4.0 GPA scale.</p>

<p>Freshman year
All Honors</p>

<p>Earth Sci.
Algebra 2
English
Computer Apps(not honors offered)
World History
Latin I (not honors offered)
Familiy and Consumer Sciences (req. not honors offered)</p>

<p>Soph.
All Honors (unless notified)</p>

<p>American History I
Biology
Chemistry
Precalculus
Trigonometry
English 10
Culinary Arts (No honors)
Latin II
Business Programming and Web Design (no honors)
Drivers Ed (required)</p>

<p>Junior
All honors or AP</p>

<p>AP Calculus AB (year long)
AP Physics C (year long)
AP Statistics
AP Psychology (self-studied)
English 11
American History II
Latin III
3-D Art (no honors)
Health (through a College in High School program from Community College)(rigorous)</p>

<p>Senior
All honors or AP (These are the courses im sure im taking) Unsure of the rest of the schedule.</p>

<p>English 12
Latin IV
AP Government
AP Calc BC</p>

<p>EC's
300+ hours of volunteering at a hospital
Key Club 11, 12 (officer) (100 hours accumulated)
NHS 11,12
Latin Club 9, 10, 11, 12
Basketball 9,10, 11 (varsity)
Cross Country 12 (varsity)</p>

<p>I started a private tutoring firm in 2010 and sold it in 2012 for over 2000 bucks.</p>

<p>I’d say in easily with a $20k scholarship if it weren’t for your class rank. Top 20% is good, but to get the higher level scholarships they’re usually looking for top 10%. So, you could get $20k, or you could get $16k or $11k. But your GPA and ACT are right on par, so I’d definitely say in.</p>

<p>Thanks for chancing! If I was in the top 10%, do you think I’d have a shot at the 24k scholarship?</p>

<p>If you brought up your ACT as well, then probably.</p>

<p>bump 10 char</p>

<p>You are in easily. Btw great username!</p>

<p>thanks hockeydude! I really want that 24k scholarship. Oh and I just called my guidance office and was informed that after factoring in the past year, I AM IN THE TOP 10% NOW!!</p>

<p>You have pretty good stats here. Based on the trend I’ve observed over the past few years, I’d guess you were more in line with those who have been receiving the 16k or 20k merit scholarships. If you were in the top 5% or top 7% even - or could bump that ACT by a point to 33 - or if your scores on the APs were all 5 - you would be on the verge of getting the 24k. </p>

<p>The entrepreneurial initiative you have already shown should really shine as part of your overall application/essay. That may also push up the awards - if not the merit scholarships, you could be in line for a tasty Miami grant (merit based).</p>

<p>Good luck to you in the coming application season!</p>

<p>Thank you for the input. Very informing and supportive!</p>