Chancessss

<p>My parents work at UM, so I get free tuition, and so clearly they really want me in. I don't really want to go there, but I'll make the best of it and it is a great school so it'd work out fine. But I don't really know what my chances are. They have raised their academic standards and it is not the easiest school to get into. </p>

<p>My SAT CR is 670 and my math is 510. Writing was 620. The math score is really low, I understand. I'm taking my SAT again but as of now I have an 1180 out of 1600. I want to just break a 1200. My GPA weighted is 4.3. Unweighted it is around a 3.7 I believe.</p>

<p>I got a 25 on my ACT, taking it again too, hopefully get into higher 20s.</p>

<p>I am a big journalism nerd, I am the editor in chief of my school newspaper, I have done a few journalism workshops at Columbia University and UF, and I did yearbook for a year to help out the staff. I started a local zine and I write a blog with current events and what not.</p>

<p>I will have had 4 APs throughout high school. </p>

<p>Would I get into UM off the bat? No wait-listing? Be brutally honest.</p>

<p>Your GPA is good, but your ACT is pretty low…I dunno man, this could go either way. What’s your class rank?</p>

<p>Not sure. They don’t do rankings at my school and I’m not sure. I feel like you do, it could swing either way. I think if anything I’d get wait-listed first, I don’t think I could get in right off the bat. Like I said, I don’t even really want to go there but my parents might force me.</p>

<p>Not too sure either…you may get your wish and not go to UM in the end. Not trying to sugercoat it, but you should be able to work with your counselor to see what they send to universities in liu of the straight class ranks…you may be suprised and find out they do some form of “racking and stacking”</p>

<p>You have a pretty good GPA (exactly what I had, but I had two APs and all Honors; extenuating circumstances though that I had to explain to all the schools) and your journalism extracurricular seems solid. If you want to major in Journalism, then I’d apply to other schools, I believe UF has a way better J-program.</p>

<p>I know someone who had similar stats to you from New York minus the journalism extra. First, she was deferred and then wait-listed and then admitted for Spring '09. 1180 SAT and 3.7 GPA. Then I have another friend from a top private school in NYC who got in ED with a 3.5 GPA and 1280 SAT.</p>

<p>And your parents work there, so you already have somewhat of an “in”, so I’d say you’re even in or deferred and admitted after RDs are sent out.</p>

<p>Just to give you more info. My D has 4.2 weighted, class rank of 21 out of 300, and SAT 1260 with ACT 26. She had done the summer program there and got an A and B in two college courses. She was applying to the business school, applied EA (was told that it is much harder to get in ED than EA) got deferred, waitlisted, and then was accepted on April 22. It was actually her dream school but she is not going there. So i’d guess you would get in, but it may take a while.</p>

<p>twoparent: it’s HARDER to get in ED? I thought ED increases your chances for getting in?</p>

<p>For some reason (which is a mystery to all on CC), it is apparently harder to be admitted ED at UMiami than it should be (especially in this economy)…I think it has something to do with the # of top students who apply EA…maybe Miami sees all of these tippy-top students at the same time (who are actually applying assuming large merit awards) and they figure that these students will raise Miami’s profile…</p>

<p>If your parents did not both work there I think admission is a stretch. However, that night be some sort of a nudge? Are there any reciprocity agreements with other colleges? I know my sister works for Yale, and there is a consortium of schools that her kids can go to at reduced cost, not just Yale.</p>

<p>sunnyflorida:
Both parents work there. They used to have some sort of reciprocity agreements but they got rid of it a while ago. If I get into UM my tuition is free. But if I don’t get in, I’ll go somewhere else and pay my way through. </p>

<p>rodney:
I am very surprised to hear that. I think you are probably right though, I bet the very best apply early decision so that makes it difficult for others to get in. I was thinking of applying early decision because I need all the help I can get for admissions, but for UM could applying early decision potentially hurt me? I was going to apply early action, because that isn’t as binding as ed, but then I was thinking I might want to do everything to get accepted. Hmm, totally not aware that ED is tougher at UM. Thanks for letting me know or else I could have jeopardized my chances.</p>