Change in Housing Policy

<p>Hey all! Woke up early in CA this Jan 3d, 2012 to pay that $400 housing deposit and secure my daughter's priority # for housing selection for the fall. Admissions rep on the phone said TCU has changed things and payment timing of the deposit does NOT determine your selection priority! Heck! Further, she said "there's nothing you can do" to help ensure you get your first choice dorm. Very non-committal about the whole selection process actually when I tried to question her further. Hmmm. Why would they do this? Possibly they are getting a flood of housing deposit payment without tuition deposits from an overwhelming number of Early Action applicants hedging their bets that they will attend TCU (because we all love it)? Anyone else hear of this policy change yet?</p>

<p>On another note, I asked her about honors college status for my D and she would not share. She said honors college invitations would be mailed out in March. This seems odd too as I thought I recalled some CC posters stating they had received an invitation from the HC. If you have, would you let the rest of us know?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I got mine the second week of January last year for honors college.</p>

<p>As far as the housing policy goes, they haven’t said anything about it changing. I’m a current freshmen at TCU and last year they rarely mentioned the whole “first come, first serve” concept but my parents payed about the same time you did and I got my first choice dorm. The majority of other kids who payed early were also given their first choice as well.</p>

<p>I talked to admissions yesterday about housing. They are doing a lottery this year instead of first come, first served.</p>

<p>Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Very helpful info.</p>

<p>This new policy points to the increase in applications at and popularity growth of TCU. While many students get their applications in by December 1 to be eligible for academic scholarships, TCU’s presence in Bowl Games and advertising campaign continue to drive interest throughout the winter season. </p>

<p>I believe TCU’s admissions team wants to take a better look at the entire applicant pool to make sure that the highly qualified applicants who apply on the late side have a shot at the Honors College, dorms, etc. But the flip side is that there is something special about those kids who are on top of their game and get everything in on the early side. Seems like they should be rewarded somehow – that is, if they get admitted.</p>