Changing Majors: Will I be okay?

<p>So right now, I’m a freshman (sophomore by credits technically) who’s majoring in electrical engineering and mathematics and is in the STEM MBA program. I’ve decided that I don’t think that engineering is for me, so I want to drop it. If I do, I’ll definitely want to keep doing STEM and try to finish up all of my math classes by next year (I only have four more classes to take) and try to do university scholars to go after the Master’s since I’ll be done with the undergrad coursework early. I also want to add in either a CS minor or a language minor–CS for practicality, a language for fun; not completely sure which one to do. So basically, I wanted to know if becoming a math major, while doing the other stuff I mentioned, will get me decent job opportunities since engineering won’t be in the picture. Also, will the CS minor be much more helpful than a language minor, or will it simply be an interesting tack-on that’s pretty much glossed over?</p>

<p>If you’re going to be going directly to MBA then it really ought not matter what your major is. A math major would be very useful in business.</p>

<p>The way I’m reading your post, you want to major in Mathematics with a minor in CS and possibly a language. You also want to get an MBA and an MS in Mathematics.</p>

<p>If you have the extra College of Engineering scholarship, you can still get that money as a CS major. Switching your primary major to Mathematics would involve moving over to the College of Arts and Sciences, whereas having it as your “secondary” dual major with CS as your “primary” dual major.</p>

<p>What do you want to do as a career? While it might be a good idea to get multiple graduate degrees, that’s not something typically done by people before they enter the workforce full time. I agree that a quantitative background is very helpful in business, but having a master’s in mathematics might normally lead you down a different career path.</p>

<p>If you really want to get minor in CS, I’d recommend seeing what the difference would be to take courses for a master’s in that compared to a minor.</p>

<p>I know a BAMA Math major who got a great job she loves at National Oilwell Varco in Houston.</p>