Chemical Engineering at Alabama, Maryland, South Carolina, Ohio University, Miami of Ohio?

<p>DS is trying to decide which school to pick for Chemical Engineering. He has visited Alabama twice. He received the Presidential and the Engineering Scholarships and Honors College admission. Attended the SITE Engineering camp at Alabama summer before last and visited the Honor’s College last summer. We are Instate at Maryland. He was admitted to the Virtus Engineering LLC at MD. Not admitted to Honors or College Park Scholars. Dean’s scholarship at MD. Received In State Tuition waiver at South Carolina, McKissick, Gibbons Chem E Scholarship and Capstone not Honors. Received more than full tuition at Ohio U. No Honors College for Engineers there. Miami of Ohio gave him 2/3 tuition and Honors College admission. He could be happy at any of these schools. We did pay Alabama Enrollment and Housing Deposits before February 1st. Housing selection date is May 8. Any thoughts? </p>

<p>I love UMD but you have to pick the school that provides you the best package. Looks like Alabama did that for you.</p>

<p>Your son has a lot of great offers and will do great at whichever school he chooses.</p>

<p>Since he likes all of those schools, my suggestion would be to consider those which offered the most money and could provide the most opportunities. It’s extremely helpful to have some graduate college with little or no debt. </p>

<p>Your son does have the option of attending the other schools for summer courses or during a semester or yearlong exchange program. It’s also a good idea to keep in tough with any professors there who know his work as it’s a good idea to have a wide ranging professional network of people who are familiar with ones experience and accomplishments.</p>

<p>My recommendation would be to attend UA and spend the summer enjoying life, creating a LinkedIn profile, and maybe having a summer job or internship. Many companies are still looking for interns and might decide that your son would be a good fit for one of their internships. The internships might be in chemical engineering, other types of engineering, or the business or medical fields.</p>

<p>Use the following site to compare black & white data such as enrollments and degrees conferred for each school. Some ChemE programs are comparatively ‘tiny’. <a href=“http://profiles.asee.org/profiles”>http://profiles.asee.org/profiles&lt;/a&gt; It is nice to have a richness of choices, but there must be something else that will settle the decision for you. After financial considerations (assuming all are equally affordable choices for your family), next most important criterion is FIT and how comfortable your son is at each place. The week @ SITE camp would have given him a great feeling of what it will be like to be a student at UA. If he had any reservations during that week, then listen to those; if he thought the week was tremendous, then go with that gut reaction and say Roll Tide.<br>
For other readers: I can highly recommend students attend a summer camp in their field of interest before choosing that field. My S did summer engineering camps at 2 different universities, which was helpful in cementing his decision to follow aero-engineering in the first place. </p>

<p>Thank you for the link, aeromom. It was very informative. I wish we could find the something else that would settle his decision! </p>

<p>Thank you all for your help. He has chosen the University of Maryland!</p>

<p>doverdover, good luck to your son.</p>

<p>Aeromom, thank you for that very helpful link to the American Society for Engineering Education.</p>