Chemical Engineering vs Biomedical Engineering

<p>My DD is a junior chemical engineering major that questioned early on if Bama was the place for her since they did not have biomedical engineering as a major. Three years later she gets this:</p>

<p>Congratulations! Your submission has been selected to present a poster at the Biomedical Engineering Society 2014 Annual Meeting, scheduled for October 22-25, 2014 in San Antonio, Texas.</p>

<p>I am writing this for those of you with kids that want to do biomedical engineering and question if Bama is the place for you- It is! Oh, and I guess I post this to brag a little also.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Congrats to your D.</p>

<p>Frankly, I stir kids away from biomedE as an undergrad major because it is too limiting. ChemE majors (and MechE majors) are generally accepted by BiomedE grad schools, BiomedE REUs, etc because ChemE and MechE classes are similar enough to work, but also offer the flexibility of being more marketable. </p>

<p>There are few jobs available to Biomed majors with a B.S., whereas those with ChemE or MechE have many to choose from. You’re pretty much have to get a PhD in Biomed to work in the field.</p>

<p>^^
Exactly! That is why I think majoring in BiomedE as an undergrad is too risky. Every BiomedE isn’t going to get into grad school or even want to go when the time comes. </p>