Chemistry (BS vs BCh)

<p>Any thoughts on the Chemistry BS (pre-health) versus the BCh for pre-med? BS seems more practical (take more applied classes like statistics) and maybe easier on the GPA while the BCh seems more rigorous (more calculus and calculus based courses like physics, physical chemistry).</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>the BCh for pre-med</p>

<p>One doesn’t have to do a BCh for pre-med if one is a chem major. Is your child pre-med? </p>

<p>I’m trying to figure out why a pre-med wouldn’t also be able to do the “pre-health track”. Why not? </p>

<p>**
The Chemistry Major**</p>

<p>Core Courses: All chemistry majors are required to take the following core courses. Typically these courses will be completed over the first two years, with the exception of CH 338, which is taken in the fall of the junior year.</p>

<p>General Chemistry (101/102, 8 hrs) or Honors General Chemistry (117/118, 8 hrs)
Quantitative Analysis (CH 223, 4 hours)
Organic Chemistry Lecture (231/232, 6 hours)
Organic Chemistry Laboratory (237/338, 4 hours)</p>

<p>Ancillary Requirements: In addition to the core chemistry courses above, students should complete the following ancillary courses during their first 2 years. Students will also need to complete the general requirements as outlined in the undergraduate catalog.</p>

<p>Chemistry, Biochemistry, and ACS-Certified degree tracks
Calculus (125/126/227, 12 hrs)
Physics (105/106, 8 hrs)</p>

<p>Pre-Health track
Calculus (125, 4 hrs)
Physics (101/102, 8 hrs)
Biology (114/115/116/117, 8 hrs)</p>

<p>Upper Level Major Requirements: The upper level requirements for the chemistry major will depend on which track the student is pursuing. To complete the chemistry degree, students must fulfill the requirements for one of the tracks below as outlined in their catalog. Students using older catalogs should check their specific catalog to ensure they meet the requirements of that catalog. The choice of track will depend on the student’s career goals and interests. Students interested in careers in chemistry or related technical fields should pursue the ACS-certified degrees. Any of the degree tracks below are suitable for students interested in going on to health-professional schools, such as medical, dental, or pharmacy school.</p>

<p>Degree Track<br>
2010-2012 Catalog - Present</p>

<p>ACS-Certified Chemistry
-Physical Chem (341/342/348, 8 hrs)
-Inorg Chem (413 or 401/213, 4 hrs)
-Instrumental Analysis (424, 4 hrs)
-Biochemistry (461, 3 hrs) </p>

<p>ACS-Certified Biochemistry<br>
-Physical Chem (341/342/348, 8 hrs)
-Inorg Chem (413 or 401/213, 4 hrs)
-Biochemistry (461/462/463, 9 hrs)</p>

<p>Pre-Health Chemistry Track<br>
-Elem Phy Chem (340/343, 4 hrs)
-Biochemistry (461/462/463, 9 hrs)
-This track requires a minor</p>

<p>Dual Chemistry/Chemical Engineering degree<br>
See requirements for dual degree on Chemical and Biological Engineering site</p>

<p>Secondary Science Education-Chemistry track
See requirements for Science Education, Chemistry track at College of Education web site</p>

<p>Honors Track – open to all chemistry majors. You do not have to be enrolled in the Honors College.</p>

<pre><code>-Completion of ACS-Certified degree
</code></pre>

<p>-Maintain 3.3 GPA in chemistry, with no more than 1 C, and a 3.0 overall
-Participate in CH 491/492/493/494 honors seminars
-Submission of a senior thesis on research done in the chemistry departemnt
-Submission of GRE scores</p>

<p>I think I misread your original question. Is your child pre-med, and you’re wondering which route to take? See below…</p>

<ol>
<li>How does the pre-health track differ from the other chemistry tracks?</li>
</ol>

<p>The pre-health track is equivalent to the BA degrees offered at many schools. It offers an increased focus on biology compared to the regular degree, while the mathematical requirements are less (1 semester) than the traditional BS degree. This degree satisfies all requirements for health professional programs (medical, dental, veterinary, etc.). Due to the less rigorous math and chemistry requirements of this degree, students may not be qualified for chemistry graduate programs or BS chemistry jobs should they not gain acceptance to a health professional program. The pre-health track is suggested for students who are very sure they wish to purse a health professional career and feel confident that they will be accepted to these programs upon graduation. The regular BS track will provide a wider range of options upon graduation for students who are less sure of their future career plans.</p>

<p>Yes, my freshman twins are thinking pre-med. I was trying to advise them on having backup plan in case they get to college and change their minds about medicine. I also didn’t know if medical schools (I guess it depends on individual reviewers) look more highly on a calculus based program. The pre-health track seems more relevant if one knows that they want medicine. They are also doing the CBHP.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I also didn’t know if medical schools (I guess it depends on individual reviewers) look more highly on a calculus based program. The pre-health track seems more relevant if one knows that they want medicine. They are also doing the CBHP.</p>

<p>Frankly, from all that we’ve read, the major doesn’t matter to med schools. they just care that you got the pre-reqs done, and that your cum GPA, your BCMP GPA, your MCAT, your LORs and your EC are good. </p>

<p>Both GPAs should be at least a 3.5…preferably a 3.7+.</p>