Chemistry or Chemical Engineering?

<p>I’m a high school junior but I’m pretty decided on where I want to go to school (Bama). But I’m planning on bring a basketball team manager and will have considerably less time than the average student. My chemistry grades are high and I’m sure I want to major in something with the chemistry field. Which is more time consuming, seeing as time will be at a premium over those 4 years.</p>

<p>Engineering degrees usually involve lots of lab time
So a Chemistry major might take up less mandatory class/lab time</p>

<p>You should look at careers and salaries as well
Bachelors degree Chemical Engineers are paid about 50% more than Chemists
[Best</a> Undergrad College Degrees By Salary](<a href=“http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp]Best”>Common Jobs for Majors - College Salary Report)</p>

<p>What do u mean that you’ll be a bball mgr? </p>

<p>What is your future career. </p>

<p>What are your stats. </p>

<p>Don’t let a hobby get in the way of best using your college years.</p>

<p>Wherever I go to school, I’m almost guaranteed a manager spot. I have a 3.5 GPA, 28 ACT, minority, and lots of extracurriculars. Eventually, I want to end up coaching or in some capacity with major college basketball.</p>

<p>KP,</p>

<p>With those stats an engineering major will net you another $1500/yr and a degree that might net you a higher income if you change your mind about college basketball…</p>

<p>Here’s the scholarship page to check out:</p>

<p>[College</a> of Engineering - Scholarship Information](<a href=“http://www.eng.ua.edu/future_students/scholarship.htm]College”>http://www.eng.ua.edu/future_students/scholarship.htm)</p>

<p>It’s not exactly as cut and dry as I am about to summarize, but with that said,</p>

<p>Chemical Engineering (any engineering field for that matter) is more about problem solving. Chemistry, while not easy, is more straight forward with more memorization than problem solving. That’s not to say that Chemistry is not challenging because it is.</p>

<p>KP98765,</p>

<p>I’m a little confused pretty common for me
But what is your career (after college) goal?
Are you planning on a job as a coach, teacher, scientist or engineer?</p>

<p>BTW At large universities, the position(s) of basketball team manager
get hundreds of applications - no one is guaranteed a job.
(unless daddy paid for the Med School)
Read this;
[Student</a> managers contribute to University athletics The Crimson White](<a href=“HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White”>HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>Not saying it’s guaranteed, but pretty likely. Parents have deep ties with people high in the athletic dept…and after college, I want to work as a grad assistant somewhere, preferably UA. I just know that it isn’t as likely for that to pan out exactly as I want it to. I want a solid second career option that will be conducive to my rigorous undergrad schedule. Thanks again, to everyone!</p>

<p>If you want to be a coach (or something similar) then you shouldn’t major in chemistry nor chemical engineering…you should major in something more closely tied to athletics.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>* I want a solid second career option that will be conducive to my rigorous undergrad schedule*</p>

<p>I think it’s wise to have a solid second career option. Making it in coaching is like making it in the pros…very hard, and few make a success at it.</p>

<p>I have a friend who had such dreams…he did get hired at USC which was a great opportunity. But, when the head football coach was fired, so were “his coaches”…and he never recovered coaching-wise again. He had to go into something totally different…he chose paramedics and has done quite well, but he had to stop working and retrain…not good for his family financially. </p>

<p>So, if your goal is a lofty one, it’s good to have a back up plan.</p>

<p>That said, ChemE will have more job prospects than just Chem.</p>