Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

I’m also 220 for NC tho so if you made it then I did too :wink:

1 Like

where in NC are you? like which county? I wonder if it just hasn’t arrived in my school’s county (Mecklenburg) yet

1 Like

Are you saying the Alternate Entry SI scores were factored in, despite NMSC putting in print that only PSAT test takers determine the cutoff scores?

1 Like

Did they say how they would use the alternate entries to set the cutoff? Could all of the slots for a state be filled with AE? (For example, in a state where very few people took the PSAT because of Covid).

1 Like

where?

I don’t know if NMC included AE in the cutoffs, however as Art was saying for a while last years cutoffs in all states were not typical because of tests having flaws. So the objective cutoff numbers are from 2019 and earlier. And comparing with that numbers looks like this year as was predicted went 1-2 or more points down.

I misspoke - I’m basing it on Art Sawyer/Compass Prep.

Not all AEs took several SAT exams. And, given all the cancellations, it is highly doubtful that this is the case. My D22’s school and district did not offer the PSAT. We checked with other schools and districts and we were declined from registering. We resorted to AE and registered to take the SAT. But for every registration, we got cancelled within days of the exam dates until the very last administration in June. We bit the bullet and took a chance to register for the June exam at a school over two hours away as it was the only school available. I understand that the system has shortcomings, but it’s kinda unfair to generalize all AEs. I am grateful for the AE option and it works if it is not abused. The AE gave students the opportunity to compete, which they would not have given this pandemic. I wish everyone well in this journey to college. All students of parents on this forum are very fortunate to have parents who are out for their best interests.

9 Likes

Looks like Texas has been added to Art’s list.

Thanks for the update. Pennsylvania is down a point to 218.

1 Like

Fwiw, Art Sawyer seems to now think AE entries were factored in. I also seem to recall “final” cutoffs being posted more quickly In the past, but maybe I wasn’t paying attention as closely.
His position as all-knowing PSAT/NMC oracle seems to be a bit overstated.

2 Likes

An NC student has posted that he was notified he qualified with a 219.

A student with a 218 in CA also reported receiving material from U Of Oklahoma, so that doesn’t appear to be a solid indicator.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that in comments both on the Compass Prep blog and here, people say that they called NMSC and got the information that AE would be used. It seems that Art didn’t call them but asserted in his blog that they wouldn’t be used to determine cutoffs.

Art commented that NMC may have included AE in SI calculations

1 Like

That poster was known as “skypetutor” on Reddit, I’m told he was banned a while ago, and that this isn’t the first misleading info posted. Via PM, he acknowledged his “leak” was just reposting Reddit rumors.

2 Likes

Fwiw, it’s certainly possible NMC changed their mind after seeing data on number of entries, potential cutoffs and SF numbers based on PSAT only.

“Same as we’ve always done it” was almost certainly a going-in assumption. COVID-driven changes to establish practices wouldn’t be overly surprising, or unique to NMC, if this is accurate.

3 Likes

I always thought AE would have to be to counted in order to maintain the 16,000 semifinalists. Otherwise, another 5-10,000 NM could financially hurt schools that give large scholarships if enough additional students accepted them.

4 Likes

Another option would be to accept many more NMSF but stick to the same final number of NMF, making the NMSF-> NMF process significantly more competitive.

3 Likes

Does anyone know Ohios cutoff for finalist?
Thanks so so much!

Is it really plausible that Virginia’s SI is 219? That seems really low. Found this number in multiple places, but could really just becoming from the same erroneous source.