Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

Can any of these 8 kids from OPRF share their index so we get an idea of what IL cutoff is?

1 Like

I actually think the same students who do well on the SAT do well on the PSAT. My only small sample is the public charter my older child attended & both my children.

My formula for both kids was sit for the September SAT, then the October PSAT. Older kid had 1550 SAT & 1490 PSAT. Younger kid had 1530 SAT & 1500 PSAT. What I’m saying is alternate entry or PSAT would have yielded similar results. In our case, both kids were content & did not need to sit for multiple SAT tries to increase scores. They just happily moved on & had a much less stressful junior year being done with exams. But, younger child would not have had the option for multiple SAT attempts since PSAT was already taken.

So I’m not sure if AE students would really impact the outcome, but since this is unprecedented - we shall see.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think so, either. Maybe at the margins you could see a handful of kids in a state who didn’t take the PSAT but managed to take the SAT 3 times get a qualifying score they wouldn’t have otherwise, but would that happen enough to change cutoffs significantly? Seems unlikely.

Neither of my kids took the SAT, but the PSAT was almost a perfect predictor of what their ACT scores ended up being. (Both took the ACT twice, one dramatically improved the second time around, the other got the exact same composite and called it good.)

2 Likes

My kid treated the PSAT as a “practice” for the SAT and discovered that she ran out of time to finish. She corrected her pace for the SAT a month later and her score improved as a result — not drastically, but significantly.

Her PSAT selection index was 220, putting her on the bubble for our state (fingers crossed the cut-off doesn’t increase from last year). Had she submitted her SAT, she eould be safely in.

6 Likes

Son was just notified by his school. Qualified with a 219 in IL

11 Likes

thanks for sharing and congratulations!

1 Like

Someone in /r/psat just confirmed that a 221 made it for MN.

The only way they take SAT is if she didn’t already took her junior year PSAT once you took to PSAT you aren’t allowed to submit SAT.

We did similar. S22 did the August SAT last year and then the PSAT. He also took the Dec. SAT because we didn’t have confidence the Aug would happen. He got a 1450 in Aug and used that to further study for the PSAT. I think he got 1490? But his Dec SAT was 1520, so a decent increase for SAT score.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I was just pointing out that although most students have similar scores on the PSAT and SAT, it can be different enough to make a difference in qualifying.

1 Like

Anyone in California got notifications letter with sat entry? If so, what is your sat score? Thanks

It doesn’t matter as long as the selection index is = > 221 (this number may change)

Can you give more details on that? Sorry, there’ve been so many false reports so I just wanna make sure.

What more details would you like? His HS counselor told him and the other NMSFs at his school this afternoon. Also got a confirmation email from the school.

Sat is 40 for each session, not 38 in psat, how can do they calculate the index with sat?

A score of 38-40 will count as 38 when used as AE.

1 Like

Same way but they cap it. 38/760 the max you can use for the calculation. So even if your SAT is a 1600, your SI will be
2(38+38) + 76 = 228

Which school was this, if you don’t mind disclosing?

Correct. Outrageous!

My kid too!