Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

Confirmed 213 in Alabama.

5 Likes

While I think thatā€™s a possibility, the universe of students that would do that is pretty small. I think if alternate entry was altering the cutoffs weā€™d be seeing massive increases and so far weā€™re really not seeing that. Cutoffs seem to be within a point or two from their 2020 levels, which could easily be explained by random distribution or other factors.

Also, itā€™s hard to get a 1450+ on the SAT. (Believe me, when I was a high schooler I tried multiple times and couldnā€™t do it.)

1 Like

Does anyone know when they notify us who got Commended status? Iā€™m pretty sure I just barely missed Semifinalist (despite my score being in top 1%ā€¦this state-by-state thing is totally unfair!!). Rant over. Anyway, do commended students find out in early September also? And is it worth anything at any schools or should I just let it go and submit my applications without it? My actually SAT speaks for itself.

2 Likes

Deleted message

Commended emails went out the evening of August 31

I would say it is certainly possible that AE could impact state cutoffs. For example, Stuyvesant usually has 100+ NMSFs, but they were not able to administer the PSAT. The average SAT score at Stuyvesant High School is a 1490. . If half of these students (They have about 800 students) submit a 1490, NYā€™s cutoff would be majorly affected by AE.

Commended emails?? I think youā€™re referring to National recognition.

Yea thatā€™s what I was thinking. Aug 31 was recognition stuff. (CB screwed that up royally at our school. CB is a hot mess this year) Anyway, I know I made the commended cutoff but havenā€™t heard anything. Wondering if others did?

Yes if you live in OK. The letter was probably only meant for state students not entire US.

1 Like

so you think it doesnā€™t mean anything to anyone outside of OK who received it ?

Unless they increase the numbers, and some people would be unhappy with that, theyā€™re going to have to cut someone, and whoever is cut is going to be unhappy.

1 Like

When I spoke with an NMSC rep over a week ago, I was told that commended students will be notified on the 16th. Iā€™m unsure if that has changed.

1 Like

Agreed this is not good and I am curious to know what went wrong. For those who havenā€™t seen it, this is what is looks like - certainly gives a strong impression that the student qualified! It is also signed by Hannah Rieger, National Merit Scholarship Coordinator.

3 Likes

We registered for every SAT exam since learning we would not get to take the PSAT in October (January was not offered as well.) And, we were notified of cancellations ever single time until June. We then just decided to look much farther away and were lucky to get a spot (one of the last two spots available during registration.) So, I donā€™t think multiple SAT attempts is norm. At least, not in CA. We had a couple of parents fly their children to San Diego to test in June.

2 Likes

maybe we should reach out to her and see if the mailer was sent to semifinalists

4 Likes

Per NMSC, the letters will be mailed on September 15th to the Commended students.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard anything for Colorado?

1 Like

Thank you for that information

Not withstanding the fact that Iā€™m not sure the average SAT score at Stuyvesant is actually a 1490 (since thatā€™s a self-reported average from Niche), letā€™s assume that a larger than normal number of Stuyvesant students get NMSF this year due to alternate entry.

Remember what weā€™re talking about here is a cutoff, not an average. So if the number of PSAT test takers in New York was lower, it would make sense that some of those kids that would make the PSAT cutoff would have a lower score than a traditional year. So some of those alternate entry kids are taking spots from kids who wouldnā€™t made the cutoff otherwise.

And then the others might be taking spots from kids who might have just made the cutoff in a ā€œnormalā€ year. Youā€™d expect more students to score a 220 than a 221, and more to score a 222 than a 223, etc. So Iā€™d expect that significant use of alternate entry probably would push the cutoff up a point, maybe two at the most.

Again, this is assuming a lot of things - primarily that thereā€™s a giant swath of kids at some of these elite NY schools that even had the ability to take the SAT multiple times to get a qualifying score. If see 3-4x the number of kids from some of these schools end up as NMSF as we would in a normal year AND cutoffs are significantly higher than expected (like 2+ over last year), then sure, you can argue alternate entry played a role.

Until we see that happen Iā€™m still of the belief that AE will play a modest role in determining cutoffs (if itā€™s even being used at all) and that it was absolutely necessary to keep from penalizing students who didnā€™t have the chance to sit for the PSAT.

This really canā€™t happen, unless AE conferred a 10X advantage. Itā€™s well under 2X at best.