Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

I didn’t realize that there were schools did that and then had the ability to know that the students were actually sending all of their test scores.

College Board used to have a list of schools that required all scores. When one tried to submit only one score, lots of warnings popped up. I assume that’s still the case.

I know that only because S20 applied to UMD which was mistakenly on the list. In his case, he was just trying to avoid sending his score from the talent search back in the 7th grade. At the end, I think he sent them all, though it was possible to select only one. One just needed to agree to lots of warnings. I could see College Board flagging such requests.

S22 just got home and they were finally told today! So glad it’s official now! Two at our school this year.

6 Likes

School reopens Monday following Hurricane Ida. Hoping the GC tells S22 then. He’s 6 points over our reported state cutoff, but I want official word, lol!

6 Likes

I’d guess about one third overall and 80% in Maryland.

1 Like

LOL. Zero chance. Potential for muck up far beyond what happened already.

Score Choice does still notify you. CMU and Georgetown are the only major schools that still require all scores. There are likely a few others - The Citadel and Soka of America are the only ones I’ve run into.

2 Likes

I looked at the data more closely (though it’s at home, not with me on my iPad).

Assuming CP data is correct, and comparing this year’s cutoff to those of the last two years, MD is by far the biggest outlier. Their gap was about 2.5 standard deviations above that of the mean of all 50 states. There were only three others over 1 SD - I remember Oregon and Delaware.

On the low side, Alaska and Nebraska(?) benefited most, approx. 2SD below the mean. There were 8 schools more than 1 SD down, almost all low population states.

“only” 1.x% using AE sounds small until you realize only ~1% qualify for SF and there’s no point applying AE unless you think you are close. It almost certainly made up a much higher percentage of SF qualifiers than it did applicants.

3 Likes

My kid was notified that they are a SF. Unfortunately, their school does not make a formal announcement. There will be no ceremony or acknowledgement of any kind. A bit sad. :frowning:

4 Likes

Congrats! It’s a great accomplishment regardless of the celebration from the school.

3 Likes

Has anyone outside the U.S. been informed that they qualified as a semi-finalist? I asked my counselor a couple of days ago and he said there was no news at all. If you did receive any notification, could you let me know what your selection index is?

The SI for students outside of the US is the highest SI in the US. This year it’s 224.

We’re in the UK and no news yet at D22’s school.

To become a finalist you need to submit SAT or ACT to confirm your score

Strange that a school doesn’t at least post a notice on their web site. Ours has no ceremony, but a story and photo of the group is posted.

3 Likes

I don’t think schools are supposed to post anything publicly until 9/15

1 Like

Just to follow up–we got the notification yesterday. The AE form worked.

5 Likes

That is correct.

But I was responding to

There will be no ceremony or acknowledgement of any kind

My apologies, @RichInPitt. I replied to you but meant to reply to the thread in general.

It is a bit strange, though. My kid’s school doesn’t recognize any awards on their website (or anywhere else), including recruited athletes or national awards like NM and Presidential. I think it’s their way of trying to keep competition down—similar to participation awards—no one is better than anyone else. At least that’s the best explanation I can come up with.

1 Like

That is sad. Our HS moved to that plan last year for the first time–no recognition at all anywhere for the Commendeds and SF , and normally it is a big deal and they call them up on stage etc. They were in-person all year(and even if they weren’t, could have done the social media announcement they usually do). Nothing. Apparently it makes other kids feel badly about themselves. I was sad for D21 not to get the same recognition they have always done, and that she earned! Especially in what was such a tough senior year.
The athletic recognitions and NCAA signings all got multiple announcements, though, in fall and again in spring. If they didn’t do any recognitions of any kind, the policy might make sense.

7 Likes