Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

Art has NC at 218. Was her score 218 or more? If so assume that she is a NMSF and call NMSC tomorrow. Otherwise, she can add commended to her college application if she wishes so. You may also include it in the homeschooling section of the common app where it asks about additional testing.

What is the next step for becoming a finalist? An Essay? I thought it was mostly confirmed by the school? Any info would be appreciated.

The next step is an application that includes an essay, list of award and activities, etc. Think about it as a shorter version of the common app. If you look through this post, you will be able to find the essay prompt.

The school will input school profile, transcript, etc. Everything is due on Oct 6.

If you qualified via PSAT, you will also need to submit a confirming SAT score.

1 Like

Thanks. Scores already submitted. So much work to be done in 2 weeks! I will look for essay prompt - if someone has it handy - would appreciate a link or reply.
Thanks so much!

one more question - I thought the NMSQT Semi finalist list will be released tomorrow? I saw above that others may have already found out? Maybe I am reading it wrong? We only have between 9/15 (release date) and October 6th?
what am I missing?

“describe an experience you have had, a person who has influenced you, or an obstacle you have overcome. Explain why this is meaningful to you”

If it fits the prompt, reuse your common app essay.

1 Like

Congrats! May I ask what state or region you are in?

Found it!

School principals were permitted to share the information with their students and give them a letter with login instructions. That allowed the students to start working on the application before the public announcement.

1 Like

I am a little slow - you posted before I found it! Thank you for your kindness!
Thanks!

1 Like

We are in Michigan.

1 Like

((taps foot)) We are also in Michigan. lol.
Not sure what our high school has done in the past? yikes. It makes me second guess everything.

NMCs Program Overview says

In early September, about 16,000 students, or approximately one-third of the 50,000 high scorers, are notified that they have qualified as Semifinalists.
and

In late September, more than two-thirds (about 34,000) of the approximately 50,000 high scorers on the PSAT/NMSQT receive Letters of Commendation in recognition of their outstanding academic promise.

So I would expect Commended Students to be notified shortly. (I seem to recall it used to be the next day, but I may be mistaken)

The press release is out - https://www.nationalmerit.org/s/1758/images/gid2/editor_documents/22_meritsemi.pdf

A quick Google search shows a few news outlets that had announcements queued up for what I’m guessing was a 12:01am embargo lift.

3 Likes

For future reference, Finalists are not announced by NMC, but here are award announcement dates:

Corporate-Sponsored Merit ScholarshipÂź Winners - April 27, 2022

National MeritÂź $2500 Scholarship Winners - May 11, 2022

College-Sponsored Merit ScholarshipÂź Winners - June 1, 2022

Additional College-Sponsored Merit ScholarshipÂź Winners - July 11, 2022

Note: NMSC only releases information regarding Semifinalists and scholarship winners to media. Announcements about other program honors, such as Finalist standing, are left to the discretion of each high school.

1 Like

Any NMSemiFin list for California popping up?

Thanks for the link to the press release, but it says in its note that it does not contain the list of names. Where can we find the list of names?

1 Like

Ugh no word yet from GC, who now is out all week. Our HS is usually very on top of this but I suspect the recent hurricane has everyone several steps behind. I’ll try one email to the school then I guess I am calling NMC. S22 has too much other stuff going on to wait until the last minute to submit the finalist application, though I know it is not much work.

Hi @lemon360. Have you heard about the NMSF? My D22 still has not heard. Just wondering whether notifications to schools outside of the US are delayed.

And just after typing my last post and sending a polite but parentally needy email to the school college placement staff, I searched and found the local newspaper announcement listing all the state semifinalists by school! S22 is on it (yay!). His HS led the state with 25 NMSF.

12 Likes