Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

Thank you for your input. I always value your responses as someone who has been there done that! I know it takes a lot of your time so please know us newbie college parents appreciate it! :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! DC is waiting on UCLA. It’ll be very interesting to see what happens there. :smile:

USC is the only school they’ve applied to that gives any NM money. When I had them switch, I was worried about them potentially losing the NM sponsored scholarship—thinking that maybe they would be locked in to USC somehow.

:point_up_2:Sums up my feelings perfectly!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

This is interesting and helpful. We are in a different boat too bc with intended major, won’t even know about some acceptances for a while.

2 Likes

Are you talking about losing the $2500 NMSC scholarship? If your child is not awarded the NMSC scholarship, USC will award them an additional NMS scholarship. In the past it was $4K which is more than the NMSC scholarship.

1 Like

My son is at BU (freshman) now. He was admitted with NMF presidential scholarship of 25k per year for 4 yrs. He designated BU as his first choice while applying for finalist application in October itself. (They require you to designate BU as your first choice by March 1). He did receive his acceptance on Mar 25th with the presidential scholarship award based on his NMF status and designating BU as first choice. But my understanding is that this one does not lock him in for BU, if he changed his mind and chose USC as first choice even after March 1st but before May 1st, he could receive half tuition at USC if he got the admission at USC. Since he was not a NM scholar ($2500), NMSC made him a scholar and sent the scholarship of $2000 ($500 per year) by late July. (This money is to be applied only if he decides to go to BU). This can’t be used anywhere else.

3 Likes

He received the NMSC sponsored scholarship of $2000 by mid July I guess. But it definitely didn’t arrive before May 1st.

Welcome back! I remember you were trying to figure out how BU would impact USC last year. Hopefully you can help answer questions for those who going through the process this year.

We got a letter today!
P.S, It was not quite a happy moment, as my kid told us at first that it’s a rejection letter. We are in Florida and this is worth a full ride, so yea… almost heart attack here. Good luck to all!

10 Likes

Got the snail mail letter today in CO. Since only one of the schools applied to offer anything for NMF, I guess that’s the one to put as #1 by March 1?

7 Likes

Yes, we’re putting UNM as my D22’s first choice soon so it’s in there by 3/1. Next I guess we wait to get an updated financial offer from the school.

1 Like

Here’s a follow up to that. If that’s the case for my kid, but she may not choose that school, does she risk the NMSC stand alone money of the school (UMD) says yes in the meantime? Does anyone know if UMD has to be in early, or can she wait until the end of March? Sorry to muscle in on your question Age of Aquarius!

1 Like

We received the NMF letter yesterday!! :tada:
Only 3 of the schools my son has applied to will award any merit scholarships to NMFs.
He is in the middle of visiting the schools he has been accepted to so far plus still waiting to hear from others, so he hasn’t made a decision yet.
Wish the March 1st declaration deadline would be moved to April 1st. There is still so much up in the air by the time March 1st arrives!

5 Likes

Hi. Does anyone know whether NMSC sends finalist notification to the high school principal in one pack (containing all of the finalists from that particular school) or in individual letters (for each finalist student)?

My D22’s school received one finalist letter for her classmate (there are only two NMSFs at her school this year) but not for my D22 (who didn’t get a rejection letter so we have assumed that she has progressed).

Thanks.

At post 984 above, the poster indicated their principal said letters came individually. Maybe it is time for you or the counselor to call and check?

That’s actually a relief, as my D22’s letter could still be en route (we’re in the UK so things are more unpredictable). Thanks for responding.

1 Like

Somebody posted days ago that parents could call NMSC directly beginning on 2/21.

2 Likes

After no mail being delivered yesterday, S22’s letter was received today. It was a bit anti-climatic. He has already chosen Alabama. So, this just confirms everything we already assumed. We just need to send the letter to the University. Best of luck to the rest of you.

7 Likes

We are not sure which university will accept S22, so we chose undecided on the 1st choice of college, when is the last day we should choose a college as 1st choice? Thanks.

1 Like

You can call NMFoundation and they will tell you now.

1 Like