Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

I don’t see the $3,000 sponsoring scholarship listed on current UTD National Merit materials. Do you know if it is still given? I do see all the other awards you mentioned.

I don’t think they list it on their website. We only found out about it when visiting, and while my son ended with the direct NMSC scholarship, I know for sure the smaller UTD was added to those who didn’t receive other sponsorships. If you wish check with Valerie Brunell. She is extremely helpful.

1 Like

Congratulations to all National Merit commended scholars, semi-finalists, finalists, scholars, and special scholars!

7 Likes

I’m a little confused. Have all the $2,500 awards been released? Have all the winners been named?

1 Like

They will continue rolling some out through May. It is my understanding that additional scholarships may become available as some initial offers are declined by recipients in favor of larger college-sponsored scholarships.
FWIW, when I got my NMSC scholarship way back when (in the 80s :sauropod:), it wasn’t announced until May if I remember correctly.

1 Like

I believe that you are correct. The lions share of the $2500 scholarships have been offered, but there may be some stragglers. Also while corporate and nmsc scholarships have been notified, the college-sponsored awards have not been completed.

Nmsc has asked families of scholars to hold off on any public announcement of the scholarship until official announcement. Those dates are:
Corporate-sponsored April 27
NMSC awarded May 11
College-sponsored June 1 and July 11

3 Likes

Thanks to the advice in this group my D selected BU as her first choice by March 1. Today she was accepted and received the Presidential Scholarship. We would not have been aware of this info without this chat. Thank you!

11 Likes

Is scholarship mentioned in admission letter or somewhere else?

It was in the admissions letter. There is also a scholarship Tab. The letter discussed the Presidential Scholarship and the Honors College.

Thanks.

Just in case anyone looks at this thread in the future–the NM scholarships have shown up in S22’s UT Dallas financial aid portal and the $375/semester NM sponsored scholarship is listed there in addition to the full tuition, $4,000/semester stipend, and $1,500/semester housing stipend. The sponsored part is also listed in the NM Welcome Guide that they linked in the email offering the scholarship, but not on the website or recruiting materials.

6 Likes

Texas A&M questions:

Son is OOS, NMF and received an email last week from National Merit letting him know he was a NM Scholarship winner $2500.

How does the $2500 National Merit scholarship impact/interact with the A&M offer?

1 Like

My son is NMF OOS and currently a junior at TAMU. $2500 will not impact the scholarship he will get from TAMU.

2 Likes

My understanding is that he will not get the TAMU “National Merit Sponsorship.” They give that $2,000 to NMF who are not named scholars by National Merit or other corporate sponsors.

My son was an NMF but has not received an email yet on any awards. I assume this means he did not get the $2500 award? He is not eligible for any of the corporate sponsor awards I saw and is not going to a college that offers NMF scholarships.

2 Likes

The speculative consensus seems to be that while most of the scholar awards recently took place, some may decline the awards (for example, a student who receives a full scholarship and this has no basis for accepting more money) and presumably those might go out to other students before the April 11 announcement.

Congrats to your son being a national merit finalist! That’s a huge accomplishment to be well up in the top 1%. Back in the day I myself didn’t come anywhere close to that.

Thank you - I wasn’t even close either! Do you know if it was just an email or would the NMF portal have info as well. I’m not sure how great he is at checking his spam folders.

He did get a merit award from Cal Poly but I don’t think that had anything to do with NMF status. I didn’t see it listed as a school that offers NMFs awards but could be wrong.

SLO does offer a National Merit award. People on the SLO board report having received emails asking for a copy of their finalist letter. I believe the award is $3000.

1 Like

My son said it was displayed in the portal right when you log in if he was one of the recipients from several days ago. Not sure if there was an email. The official announcement is not until April 11 I believe.

I saw that on the cal poly board but my son says they did not request his finalist letter. I’ll have to have him check again. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.