Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@dsinha Great points and very comprehensive approach! This discussion is also a great example of the truth that there is more than one way to reach the same goal. I will say that part of why my D was comfortable not doing privates is that she had other ways to give the application committees a broader view of her abilities beyond what they could learn in a 15 minute audition. (Although to tell the truth I’ve heard from multiple sources they don’t even need 15 minutes to assess a student)

You are right that many of these schools do have “feeder” programs that they can use to evaluate candidates beyond what they get in the pre-screen videos. And my D was already involved in 3 audition-based programs that feed into the schools she applied to: Grammy Camp, MSM Pre-College, and Young Arts.

But again, it’s all about what works for the kid, and whatever gives them confidence in the room so they have the best possible performance on their audition day. And it sounds like a lot of folks have done very well using trial lessons to accomplish that goal, which is great!

I definitely believe that the faculty can determine from the first few seconds of a performance if the student interests them or not. But they can tell more from working one on one with the student and seeing if the candidate can adapt quickly to instructions. No one wants to have to repeat themselves every week and watch even a talented player stagnate. Trial lessons or junior festivals are important, but teachers can’t always rely on having that information, it wouldn’t be fair to students who can’t travel. I believe that in most cases they do try to leave open a spot for a complete unknown who sends in a video audition - i do know of a few cases! In those circumstances, i’m sure recommendations play a large role.

My S (jazz guitar) didn’t do any sample lessons either for much the same reasons others mentioned. But each audition had a component where he auditioned/interviewed in the guitar teacher’s (and there was usually only one ) office so that gave him a sense of the teacher’s personality and style. I think he would’ve omitted one school based on the teacher but the audition ended up being really helpful in preparing him for the following ones.

We had S do lessons more for him then for the faculty — to see who he might have a good fit with. The same with the programs he attended. S’s opinion of several schools changed as a result of this. And at least one teacher complimented the progress S had made from the previous year after he heard him audition.

I totally agree. Sample lessons or any lessons with college faculty including Skype lessons prior to auditions would be nothing to lose. I asked my son a few times since we always got there a few days before his audition day. But he just didn’t think that he needed any. Hope, his artistic resume / supporting materials can explain who he is, and what kinds of musician he is. However, my son went to a jam session in each town before / after his auditions. It was important for him to find out what to expect about jazz outside of school for next 4 years. In one town, he ended up jamming with college faculty a night before his audition.

Congratulations @Lyoder2051 What amazing news.

Congratulations @AmyIzzy for finally being done.

Lots of great conversations here regarding lessons. Some of my son’s auditions were structured like mini lessons.

One weird thing just happened. He got notice of acceptance to a school last week. When the official letter was added to his portal a couple cats later it said flute major… but he’s a music education major. One said music education major flute primary which made sense since that is his instrument. But to say flute major and no mention of education is odd to me. Will have to contact for clarity. School musical death week is this week… two full run throughs every day after school because there are two casts, then performances begin Thursday. Since there is little for flute in this one he is trying his hand at percussion. That should be interesting.

Waiting on one reply. The informed delivery with items not able to be scanned sends me into a daily tail spin.

So very interesting that the faculty might already know about a student auditioning from other feeder programs.

Our daughter hasn’t done anything on the East Coast in jazz (except for Berklee) so she was an unknown at NEC and the New School. For that reason alone, I thought that the NEC and New School audition was odd - “just play for us”. No interview - no questions. SFCM knew about her because they had done a presentation at her Arts High School.

So - those schools that just do an audition - do you think that maybe that is just a formality? Do they look through their recommendations or application? I guess that’s what they mean “Audition is King”? Our daughter didn’t get her mentor to write a recommendation for any other schools since she teaches at Berklee. Oh well - it’s all done now. Not much to do except wait and wonder - and ask silly questions like this one!

If any of you have any info. about the range of merit scholarships at any place (or want to give me info in confidence) just DM it to me and I’ll try to compile a list without any names attached (even from the previous year or two would be helpful). I know that no one wants to say "my son/daughter got $xx amount of a merit scholarship so this might be a way for us to share info. without tooting horns.

Regarding financial aid and merit. I have some experience with this for our other aviation daughter. They have always broken out financial aid separately from merit scholarships - and for her financial aid has always just been the Pell Grant and then any federal loans which they classify under “financial aid” (a bit of a misnomer since it’s a loan after all) and workstudy. So - I’ll let the other experienced parents chime in - but it should be separate. But be careful - because they do include federal loans in the equation so you think the net COA is much less than it actually is. With our low EFC, I kind of expected more than just the Pell Grant for financial aid, but I guess schools are tightening their belts.

Starting my empty spreadsheet for our music daughter right now…waiting for those numbers! (oh - and another thing that is happening for our aviation daughter - every week or so she gets more scholarship $$ emailed to her. It truly is like new car buying.

@JeJeJe writes: However, my son went to a jam session in each town before / after his auditions. It was important for him to find out what to expect about jazz outside of school for next 4 years. In one town, he ended up jamming with college faculty a night before his audition.

That is the coolest thing ever!!! I’m sure that made a great impression on the college faculty! Care to mention the school so that the hot tip can be shared with future applicants?

@dsinha USC Guitar summer seminar typically gets one or two kids into USC Thornton every year. The faculty get to know the kids. My son took private lessons with one of the profs after attending the seminar and it was a major factor (I think) in my son’s acceptance. The faculty knew him and his playing and the audition was very relaxed.

Are any of your kids going to seek the advice of their current teacher in order to help them make a college decision?

My kid only did one ‘formal’ lesson and he did it the day before his McGill audition. He just made sure to use non-audition repertoire. At least two of his auditions were like mini-lessons so he got a good feel there and one school he did their summer percussion institute.

At every school we toured last year, he made sure to sit down with the head of the percussion department for 30 - 60 minute meeting to talk about the program and get to know the school/department. Any place where no one from the department would make time for him (or 'ghosted him) we cancelled off our list when it came time for applications. As good as the school might be (without naming names) it’s not worth it if they aren’t interested in taking even 10 minutes to chat - and S contacted them far in advance. Two of the schools that we didn’t visit, S made appointments and chatted on the phone with the head and at least got a small connection going.

As far as scholarships are concerned, since S is only applying (with one exception) to music programs housed within a larger university, what we are seeing is ‘merit’ aid based on his grades/test scores and then ‘talent/department’ scholarship from the music school. They also like to list the Federal Loan that he could take out if he wants.

Just a data point. My D heard from her friend Jazz guitarist that he got an admit at NEC today. Seems like Jazz guitar results are coming out. Hope this helps.

Tripletmama——— New and young musicians pop up somewhere and all the time. Establishing high school jazz resume by senior year sure advances for admissions. Names kept getting listed in national level ensembles, awards would get attentions by schools. Many schools recognize those musicians’ names, ensembles and / or top-level summer camps and may mark / highlight their names in the applicant list. But not all young musicians who may have musical potential have “financial” supports to get that point, get sample lessons or live in the area realistically access to the options or doing so many major trips. I am a true believer that all music schools including those elite conservatories do want to find “surprises” and “new talents”. That’s why they say “Auditon is King”. Well, I maybe naive…

Wow @HereWeGoAgain2018 that’s crazy on the NEC admission! For the past couple of years as far as I know the results came in the mail toward the end of the month. Did they get their news in the mail? I wonder if they are doing it differently this year? I know they did a brand new ED admission this year so maybe they are doing everything else differently as well.

Financial aid and scholarships are not always as transparent as you might think.

An obvious “problem” with comparing offers or determining expectations are the fact that large differences can occur by voice type and instrument (most people realize this) or even style. So, the playing field is often not even level for say a jazz vs pop vs classical singer.

“Other money” being offered is also another factor at many schools. If your kid is already being offered a large academic scholarship, it is quite possible the music department is aware and will factor that into the equation when doling out their $. This is completely rational. If I’ve got 2 potential students I want equally and 1 is already getting $20K and the other is getting $0 and I’ve got 30K to give away, how do I do it? Well it also might depend on whether or not I know their EFC but basically I want to make sure they both have offers that make it so they are both more likely to consider attending. (I have had this tidbit confirmed by several schools.)

And along those lines, we had 1 school where the SOM apparently had no more $ to give and seemed to have appealed back to academic admissions to find more $ to entice us with. YMMV

@SpartanDrew - Agreed. I think he received an email. Will check. No news from NEC for classic DBass so it is definitely not a one day all mails go out situation

@HereWeGoAgain2018 interesting. You’ll have to update the thread as you get more scoop. I know they only did snail mail notifications in the past which was aggravating! They were our very last decision we waited on last year! And the acceptance letter came in the mail and we had to wait another couple days for $$$. :-((

Here’s the Music Scholarships Reported by School thread. Feel free to DM me with any additions. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/2130409-merit-scholarships-for-music-majors-reported-by-school-p1.html?new=1

Looks great!! Instead of or in addition to tuition, would it make sense to include cost of attendance (coa), ie tuition, fees, room and board, and books? COA for Berklee is $65,144, which puts the scholarships in another light.

That’s a good idea since COA varies greatly by type of school.