Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Huge congrats to @Lyoder2051 (wow, wow, wow!) and just love your story! And to all the NYU admits (with or without money, that’s a huge accomplishment!) and to @tripletmama on the huge offer at SFMC! Everything seems to be falling into place!

@tripletmama what great news to read about first thing in the morning. So happy for you and your D!

Congrats @AmyIzzy D! So many great choices! Can’t wait to hear other New School results.

And @SpartanDrew, you can adjust your crystal ball for next year ?!

Great news @PianoMom88 and @AmyIzzy! Congratulations.

S also accepted at New School with $18k merit award.

@tripletmama That is awesome news!!! So happy for you, your daughter, and your family!!!

Finally we heard from one of the three! D was accepted to Mannes. Her merit was low at $12k so probably won’t happen but so proud of her getting in! Her dream school. Maybe for grad school.

@sbjdorlo There is very much a supply and demand factor in admissions and more importantly scholarship awards. It is not just by instrument alone, though. Male vocalists are typically more in demand than female whereas certain female instrumentalists are in short supply. Even a particular race may give a student an edge as most schools want a certain level of diversity. There are, in general, some instruments that are more competitive than others and which ones they are depends on classical / jazz / pop. Again, based on supply and demand. There also seems to be (generally speaking) less money for pop/commercial majors. I do not know if that is because there are so many kids for so few programs or simply the schools don’t fund the program well…? On this forum, for example, there are only a few pop / com students every year however there are very few pop/com programs out there…

Just reporting back with our New School news for completeness. D was accepted with $20k merit award. So that’s 4 pre-screens leading to 4 admits. A short list but it had everything she needed on it. Now on to decision time!

Congrats to all! Good luck with your decisions!

@sunnysar @DrummerDad18 congratulations to your amazing kids! Great news!

Congratulations @sunnysar and @DrummerDad18!

@Lyoder2051 Thanks for sharing your story! My D like you started the process late and didn’t start working for it until August. Your post will be very helpful to those on the fence on taking a gap year.

My s was accepted to New School. It was one of his top two choices. He did get a modest scholarship, but it is not enough for us to be able to afford it. The financial aid will not be enough. I am very proud of his accomplishments but this process is gut wrenching. One school and one wait list left to go, but based on what we have so far financially and merit-wise I do not have my hopes up. The gap is just too great.

@sunnysar and @CaraCoMO APPEAL!!!

Hello!! To anyone who applied to Berklee, are decisions coming out on the 31st? Also, how do you go about viewing the decision because as of now it just says “review application” and “start a new application” and that my application is 100% done

@CaraCoMO I’m so sorry. My feelings on the lower scholarship for D is that they saw she has great potential but she isn’t quite there yet. We aren’t going to appeal as daughter is very happy with her financial back up school. Does your S have a financial back up school?

I would appeal because some that were offered more will decline making more money available. @SpartanDrew successfully appealed at Mannes. I wouldn’t give up hope yet. Also, a gap year might bring in more scholarship money. If my theory that they are good enough but not quite ready for the higher merit, then a year of solid study should make a difference.

@SpartanDrew I guess we can think about it once financial aid comes out, but our EFC is significantly higher than what we have to pay towards my s’s college. Even if they doubled his merit I doubt it will be enough. I’m still proud of him, though!

Congratulations @tripletmama that is fantastic news!
Thank you so much for sharing your story @Lyoder2051. It’s so helpful and encouraging to get the back story about the journey and all the perseverance it requires!

OK I get that. My D started with a 24K offer and was able to bump to 34K at New School, not Mannes. If any of that is helpful. But that was after she visited for accepted student day and spent a lot of time with faculty and the admissions director so they really got to know her, knew she wanted to be there and really wanted her (admissions guy said that to me which was nice). SO certainly not double but a almost a 50% increase. She is appealing again this year to bump it again so I will keep everyone posted if that is successful.

@sunnysar my son has a couple of financial back up schools. He is okay with two of them, but sadly his top affordable choice became his bottom choice once he learned more about the program for his instrument (still a great school, just not right for his instrument and what he needs right now). He got much higher merit at Berklee already (he auditioned early), his other top choice. Seriously considering looking into deferring his admission to Berklee to 2020, go to his affordable choice, and seeing if he can reaudition for more merit next fall. If that is really an option. I don’t know what a gap year in our small city would bring him or if it would be right for his personality and where he is right now.