Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

That’s wonderful news, @mperrine! Congrats!

WOO WOO WOO @mperrine and D! It’s funny – after connecting through CC, @mperrine and I met IRL on audition day at Eastman. The process was lengthy so we had lots of time to hang out in Java Coffee and compare notes. Who’d have thought both our musicians would end up there! Here’s to lots of coffee (and maybe some Champagne) on move-in day!

@mperrine that is fantastic news!! Congrats to your D :slight_smile:

Great article @DrummerDad18! Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations @mperrine for the successful appeal and a final decision! What a wonderful outcome!

@meltedbutter~ I am sure that will be our situation as well by next week!!! ( I still think D has an underlying favorite this other option came out of nowhere which I here is fairly common as options are narrowed down and will continue to encourage her to follow her gut) There is no right answer ~ even if it turns out to be something others might say later was a “mistake” I have learned the most from those in my life (but as a parent watching certainly would love to avoid seeing my D cope w/ one during her first few years of college ) trying to remember to breathe…:slight_smile: and glad I am not alone!

@mperrine that is absolutely fantastic news! Congratulations to your daughter! And thank you for finding an avatar that has the inverse colorings of @akapiratequeen to make it easier to keep you guys straight! :wink:

@mperrine That’s great news! If you are comfortable sharing, by what percent of the original scholarship or FA did the appeal increase? 10%? 20%? 50%? Doubled? I’m just trying to get a sense of how much more is being awarded with an appeal.

Great news @mperrine ! Looking forward to hearing wonderful things from your talented girl.

Congrats @mperrine! So awesome that you and @akapiratequeen can hang out in Rochester together…and always nice to get a bump in $$.

Congrats @mperrine and D!!! That is great news and what a great school. We were just there last week- such a welcoming, supportive music community.

@mperrine - Congrats!!! And so great that you and @akapiratequeen have musicians at the same school. I can’t remember - will they be in the same dept?

And I agree with @lkbux64 - it’s great that your Eastman logo is a bit different. New Berklee parents - can you maybe find a slightly different Berklee logo than mine? I keep thinking that your posts are from me :slight_smile:

@tripletmama her S is jazz Sax and my D is classical French horn… so not in the same department… but being that Eastman has only 900 kids I am sure their paths will cross.

Congrats @mperrine ! We received ours too from Eastman! S is itching to commit!?

@Mamager19 …joinnnn usssss…Java for everyone!

For those that are in the middle of appealing financial aid (or awards) - here is sample appeal letter that I just came across. Interestingly - they say it should come from the student. Obviously change the academic parts to music. Good luck everyone! Would love to hear about your successful appeals! (I called Berklee today and they said they don’t do appeals but it doesn’t hurt to try (although our daughter doesn’t want to do it so not likely to happen).

“Dear {Name},

I was so excited to be admitted to {school name}, and I’d love to spend my college career there. This has been my first-choice school during the entire college process and getting admitted was a dream come true.

I’m so grateful for the initial aid offer of {$XXXX}, but after looking everything over I am writing to appeal for a more generous aid package. Even a modest amount of extra aid would make the difference between going to {School} and having to choose my second-choice option.

Unfortunately, my family would have great difficulty allowing me to attend {School} with the current costs. I believe my academic strength and focus on electrical engineering support {student’s intended major} my request for a larger scholarship.

Not only are my test scores within the top 25% of your admitted students, but I have a strong desire to pursue electrical engineering {student’s intended major}. This is a challenging major, but I know from my previous studies in AP Physics and other honors classes that I can succeed.

It’s hard to find a great engineering school that is a supportive place for women and minorities. Everything I have learned about {school} shows me that I could succeed and thrive in your College of Engineering – much more so than other similar schools.

I was also accepted into {#2 School}, and their aid package was very generous. {College} is my first choice but given the financial realities I am prioritizing affordability in my selection process. If you can offer even a moderate increase in aid, I would be thrilled to accept enrollment at {College}.

I would be happy to discuss my situation further over the phone or send additional documentation if needed. My contact information is below.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours,

{Student Name}

@akapiratequeen @mperrine (and any others who chose Eastman) I am less than 1.5 hrs away and my daughter has friends at RIT (and some possibly choosing Eastman this year) so consider me the Buffalo Mom resource if ever needed! Congrats!!

@tripletmama Thank you for that sample appeal letter! It is a great guide!

@AmyIzzy awesome!! my husband’s family came from Buffalo. His dad came to CA when he was 5. So we have been kidding him that she is returning to her roots :slight_smile:

Haha @mperrine I know I’m biased but Western New York is a very friendly and welcoming place where neighbors definitely look out for each other and smiles are common (now why would my daughter want to move to NYC? Lol) so your daughter will be in good hands. And the food is so diverse and delicious! If she can forgive Mother Nature for the cold and snow, she will love Rochester!

My Berklee logo is a little different @tripletmama :slight_smile: