Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

no she didn’t but I’ve heard such good things about it I wish she had as an option. I know they are very selective. She’s been accepted to Berklee, NEC, The New School, Bennington and wait listed to NYU Clive Davis (her 1st choice).

@SnackysMom that’s great news!

Very important question. Did anyone appealed and an appeal decision in Mannes? We got and appeal back. New School raised it in minimal amount. not even close to more or less enough amount? if yes, what should we right in second appeal letter?

@Propinquity we went to the FROST admitted students day!

We are definitely still in April angst :neutral:
Visited FROST last weekend and hung around Miami for a few days to try to get a better vibe for the whole experience. The program and faculty were great but all in all the admitted students day was just Ho hum. Seemed pretty disorganized and after coming from so far away, a bit disappointing. The current students seemed great though and it’s definitely the perfect program for my D.

Today we just finished the UCLA Herb Alpert day which will be followed by the Bruin day tomorrow. It was the opposite experience from Miami. She loved it, loved everyone in the cohort and the opportunities are throwing themselves at these kids. She would have to create her own path but feels confident she can do just that and there were quite a few in the cohort and current students doing just that or planning to. I’m actually confused about how it works but they reassured me it was a viable option. Studying Ethnomusicology as a contemporary artist and adding songwriting. It would mean more schooling, but she would get a BA, a minor in psychology and a minor in music biz/songwriting all from UCLA (and encouraged) and then go on for her masters in music therapy at FROST.

She was just a different person today, much happier and comfortable, very excited.
So I’m calling it now I bet she picks UCLA but she’s not telling us yet.

Similar to @meltedbutter the BA vs BM will be a big decision for my D. With a BM she can go straight into her masters for MT but without she will have to take an equivalency exam or something like that.

Can’t wait to change my avatar but until then I’m so happy to hear from all of you and your students on their incredible decisions…this is not easy and not for the faint of heart.

DEFINITELy not for the faint of heart ? Angstiest April ever in my house! #keepingthefaith

@BayAreaMom2016 We were there, too! I was thinking that someone in that room had to be on this board! lol Where were you sitting in the Frost Q&A?

For my S, it was totally his dream school in terms of everything except that ho-hum accepted student day, so I totally agree! He didn’t seem to notice, but I’m glad you said it. It was the first time we toured the school and I thought the campus was amazing. The vibe was awesome and the students all seemed very nice. I just wish the format of the day and the presentation was better. I’m going to PM you with some questions:)

@SpartanDrew I noticed at the old posts that you appealed to Mannes Financial Aid twice. I have a question about second appeal process. Can you please PM me, I’m not allowed to do it yet.

@TxSker Thanks! I called and emailed again yesterday. Still no confirmation that they received it. I just wish she hadn’t seen her studio assignment. Luckily she’s on a band trip with her friends.

@akapiratequeen I’m not an expert at loans but I was quite shocked at how much interest we’d have to pay when we used the calculator. The only other loan I’m familiar with is the Stafford loan so Parent Plus loans may be the best option out there.

@pianomom74 I’m so sorry the appeal isn’t working out. We seriously considered a gap year for D to really prepare for auditions and try for more schools and more scholarship money next year. She fell in love with one of her safety schools and opted not to take the gap year. Have you read @Lyoder2051 posts? A gap year was very beneficial to Lyoder.

@WestofPCH Congratulations to your son!

Please share a little about some of the things he liked best about Peabody… My daughter is trying to decide if it should be on her list and other than the website, I feel like we don’t know much about it… that is, we know it is a top conservatory and has some big name faculty, but we don’t know anyone IRL who’s visited or attended. It is a school that doesn’t get a lot of mention on the boards here. (She’s a 2024 VP major, BTW).

I travel to DC periodically for my work so I could drag her along on one of those trips and take the train up to Baltimore for a sample lesson. But it would probably be mid-week and involve missing several days of school, which is why we have hesitated. (Three-day weekends for sample lessons are better since it only means missing one day of school. Since budget is a consideration, I’d like to combine it with a work trip instead, so that we would only be out-of-pocket for her flight and meals, but if it is around my work, then the timing isn’t up to me!)

If you’re thinking about private student loans, check out discounts that lenders may offer like co-signer release (if you will co-sign) after 24 months of ontime payments, interest rate discount if you sign up for ACH or the when the student graduates. Consolidating all undergrad loans after graduation could lower your interest rate. Lots of things to think about for sure!

I’m back! And want to say congratulations to all. It’s so exciting to see final decisions.

And for unsolicited advice for those struggling over schools with different costs, I will say that in UG there were several times my D thanked me for holding the line on debt. Now that she’s a starving artist she is even more grateful. A few times a year she gives me the old “thank goodness you didn’t allow me to go to an expensive school. I’m so glad I have no debt”.

When my kid was a junior in high school, it was all about the name of the school. Senior year she was more practical as she was getting to learn more about different schools (but the prestige factor still hung over her). Freshman and sophomore year, she was too focused on her program to worry about anything else. And being in a program with grad students who were very focused on money and not paying too much made her proud of her choice. By the time grad school came, she was a savvy consumer of schools. She had no intention of buying a name. Many of her peers had the same attitude. So…if any kids are struggling with the prestige issue with related high cost…these concerns should pass. A school is not powerful enough to make or break your kid’s future. Only your kid can do that in many environments. But one thing that CAN break a career is too much debt. My D is 26 and sees that impact now…thus her grateful comments. Again it’s a marathon so make sure the resources will be available post graduation at the truly critical moment of launching a career. Trust me…there’s no big salary with benefits awaiting your student. The first year out, most musicians work hard to be in the mid $20,000 range for income. There are always exceptions…but those are exceptions.

And once April Angst is done…you can get ready for Buyer’s Remorse May. Admittedly many don’t suffer from it…but being of a “special class of worries” I certainly had a few moments…but I don’t think my D did…she was probably too focused on end of year activities while I finally had some time after the hectic audition process…to worry…

I have a question for those of you whose kids have made their selection. Are they already engaging with their future teacher on summer plans and repertoire?

My son’s future teacher has already said, “Let me know when you’re ready to discuss other preparations, e.g. technique studies, next repertories, etc. or any questions you might have.” Seems like the teacher is ready to get my son going, which he’s excited about but really can’t do much until school is out at the end of May.

Just wondering if this is how it typically works-that the new teacher basically begins mentoring as soon as they make a decision.

@sbjdorlo S’s studio head just wrote him a nice notes saying “see you in the fall!” He’s got a summer camp counselor job this summer so won’t be working on repertoire (and will probably have to get back up to speed afterwards). It’s the first year he hasn’t been to summer programs — he wanted to make some money before college. Plus I think the work will do him good.

April angst is morphing into April anguish in our household. D is having decision paralysis–cannot seem to prioritize the schools. We thought she was down to 2, but she is actually re-thinking a 3rd school. Any of these would be great choices, but currently only 1 of the 3 is affordable. We’d be happy (relieved, thrilled, ecstatic) if she would commit to the affordable school, but she seems to be waiting to see if the other two might offer more $. We don’t know how this could do anything but make the make the decision all the harder for her. Aagh!

In other news, she finally sent some overdue will-not-attend letters yesterday, and one prof already responded with a very kind and understanding message.

That does sound like a good summer! I’m guessing a lot of kids like your son have been ultra-focused on music for so long that doing something different for the summer will be good for them.

My son works as a cello teacher so he’ll continue to do that. He will likely take an online summer class so he can get more of his GEs out of the way (he’s a transfer student). He also wants to volunteer at an animal shelter since he lost his dog this spring. And he’ll play a lot of music, no doubt.

For him, it’s the opposite of most on this thread. He hasn’t been in regular music lessons for three years, and really only began seriously thinking about a music degree in October. Once auditions were over, he hasn’t been playing much because he’s focused on school, so he needs to build up his endurance, knowing he’ll be practicing many hours a day which is something he’s not done before. Working with his new teacher on goals this summer will be good for him.

@PercussionMama - I’m so sorry that April is so angsty for you and your D. I hope she can decide soon…hang in there!

@Lendlees - Thanks! I hope you get the $$ info you are waiting for and can change your avatar soon!

@Snackysmom and @WestofPCH - congrats on the decision!!! Both great schools - glad that your April isn’t too angsty! @BayAreaCAMom - so glad you got a chance to re-visit Frost and UCLA. Sounds like we can expect an avatar change soon!

For those kids that are still undecided - encourage them to talk to as many kids at the school(s) as possible (parents - you can help by networking on Parent’s Groups and finding kids for them to talk to which will no doubt elicit an eye roll or two :smile: ). Visit again if possible. Ask current students and alums for positives and negatives. Multiply the negatives by a factor of 4 in their head and see how that feels. Read online reviews (e.g. Niche). And if all else fails, use a dartboard. Can’t wait to see more avatar changes.

@Snackysmom and @WestofPCH - congrats on the decision!!! Both great schools - glad that your April isn’t too angsty! @BayAreaCAMom - so glad you got a chance to re-visit Frost and UCLA. Sounds like we can expect an avatar change soon!

For those kids that are still undecided - encourage them to talk to as many kids at the school(s) as possible (parents - you can help by networking on Parent’s Groups and finding kids for them to talk to which will no doubt elicit an eye roll or two :smile: ). Visit again if possible. Ask current students and alums for positives and negatives. Multiply the negatives by a factor of 4 in their head and see how that feels. Read online reviews (e.g. niche.com). And if all else fails, use a dartboard. Can’t wait to see more avatar changes.

The April angst is over in our house! My jazz trumpet player will be enjoying the beaches of Miami come this fall. After having Skype lessons with professors from all three top contenders, he went with the school that reached out first. Also the only one not to charge us for the lesson, interestingly. Hoping for resolution soon for all still in the midst of April Angst!