Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@meltedbutter We were:) Did you take an early bird tour? I cannot DM ether yet. You can email me at zmeya@aol.com

@MeritHopeful Yay! Now we have some company in the Frost camp! Congrats on the decision. I think that Frost will be a great place for our kids. @Propinquity4444 I hope you and your S will join the party soon!

@tripletmama I changed my Berklee profile pic :slight_smile: And I believe it is just your D and my S so far.

Thanks VibistMom! I am impressed with the three colors of Eastman logos.

@MeritHopeful - change your avatar before she changes her mind!!! (I’m jealous that you are at the Keys).

@JazzMomLisa Oh, I hope we do, too! Everyone at school is congratulating him, from administrators on down to students (he can’t help but wear his UM gear he bought when we visited!). Seems as if everyone is hoping for Miami, even the Principal and VPs that routinely push the in-state schools they graduated from;) Keep your fingers crossed for us! Just waiting for that darn FA package. Not really expecting much, but need to know either way…

Congratulations to all. Look at all those beautiful Eastman logos. Also the Berklee and Frost. Glad to see some students from here will be together.

Love your logo @UniversityMomOf2 !

Congrats on the new logo, @UniversityMomOf2!

Thanks @akapiratequeen and @lkbux64. I am so glad to finally be among the committed (without actually getting committed ?)

Congrats @UniversityMomOf2 and the other recently committed (love that phrase!). Two weeks to go! S seems to be getting closer but it looks like we may be riding this to the bitter end.

I love seeing all the new logos!!! Congrats you all and May1 seems far away for those of you who are still on the fence… I was almost ready to be committed :slight_smile:

@jazzboydad hopefully your S finds his happy place soon. I’ve begun reading the thread for the class following ours. Excited to see the journey begin for a new group of families. I can’t believe we have over 4,000 posts on our journey and I was late to the game.

D still hasn’t committed but I’m close to being the other type of committed. Now we’ve added the wrinkle of teachers that she clicked with either leaving or their studios being full. Scrambling to get more lessons before May 1. Also waiting for scholarship appeal results…

@meltedbutter sent pm!

Good luck @meltedbutter

One university S applied at had a new teacher that wasn’t the one he was aware of. Sort of a shock at audition.

Hello, I know this is very silly question but I am going to ask anyway. My S is having a hard time choosing from two schools because they are so opposite in many ways. They are IU and SFCM. SFCM is close to us, it is a small school in a big city and conservatory where IU is far from us, huge school in somewhat small city and it is music school in University. My son applied for BM Cello, both teachers are great and cost of attendance to pay after receiving the scholarship are very close to each other. Could anyone give us some opinion or advice? Thank you in advance.

@chollist - Has your son had a chance to talk to first year cello students at both schools? Are there any kids from his current high school that’s at either (or both!) place? That’s what has tipped the scale for my kid since he really liked two schools and professors…talking to kids like him made all the difference. Also, ask your son what he envisions himself doing on the weekends - going to music in the city or hanging out with dorm mates. Although to be fair, Bloomington has a pretty vibrant music scene, but not like SF. Just some thoughts…good luck!

One thing that helped my D deciding was to look at a representative four year course plan for her BM. There was a big difference between schools regarding non-music requirements, but also in the music classes offered/expected.

Totally agree that talking to living, breathing undergraduate cellists at each institution will be the most revealing!!! You can ask the music office or potential teacher to connect him with students if no one has reached out to him in this regard. Might be good to talk with upperclassmen too since they will have a wider view than current freshmen.

Also look at outcomes and placements- where do graduates go next? Are the connections being forged as an undergrad going to point him in the right direction? Good luck!

@chollist Similar challenge here. D is trying to decide between high end prestigious conservatory or top notch music school in a major university. The struggle is real! The difference in costs, however, may make a difference in my ability to pay for top music festivals during the summers. She’s also starting to consider more variety in campus activities outside of music that’s available at a university in comparison to a conservatory. We know she’ll go on to get her Master’s so she seems to be thinking maybe it would be better to attend a conservatory then and do the more cost effective option now with knowing that I’ll be able to afford all of the cool summer festivals more comfortably. I told her it’s her choice though and we’ll make the conservatory work if that’s what she really wants, but again, I don’t think she likes the uncertainty of being able to do summer festivals if we go that route.

@BassoonMom2019 , I heard there are many ways to reduce summer festival costs so may be you should not worry about it too much!