Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@Lendlees congrats!! So glad to see your new avatar. S will love Temple — great school, great city!

@sbjdorlo : Typically, your home insurance could be augmented to cover your instrument. But you’re best served by an insurance company that only does musical instruments. Even a student rig of a couple of bows and a violin could cost $50,000/-. That is a pretty high number I know, but your home insurance company may balk at that. Also since they’re not experts, they don’t know how to value your violin. I went with Clarion, which was pretty reasonable at approx 300/- per year for a violin and two bows. They cover loss and damage, including during travel. (Home / dorm insurance may not).

Congratulations @Lendlees and son!!! So exciting to see the logo change. And yes, congratulations on the direct flight and train to campus–not something that I take for granted.

We finally made our decision. My S is going to SFCM. We visited SFCM yesterday, met his studio teacher. He is a new faculty so this year he only chose three students which two are grad students and my S is the only undergraduate student. I could see he already had plans for his students so we were very impressed and made up our mind. I really had so much valuable information from this community and I don’t know how I can thank everybody. I have never seen so supportive online community like this. As you have probably sensed, I am not a native speaker but even with my poor English, I could do enough communication with you. I want to congratulate everybody who has already made their decisions and wish all the best to people who are still considering their schools.

Congratulations @chollist and son! I know it was a tough decision, and it sounds like a great fit (and closer to home!).

@Lendlees, thank you! Congratulations to your family as well!

Congratulations to all who have made their decisions in the past few days: @AmyIzzy, @Lendlees, @BayAreaMom2016, and @chollist! All great choices that sound like a great fit for your kids!

And, now, it’s our turn. S just committed to USC Thornton! Like the rest of you, it was a long journey. 6 months of his lobbying us to let him apply to USC over our protestations that California was too far from NY. A visit to USC back in September 2018 where he and I both fell in love with the school. An ED application to another school that didn’t work out. Another trip to USC for the audition. The relief and joy of getting into Thornton followed by the elation of learning of the generous scholarship offers. All, in all, it worked out just great. And, like others have said on this thread, going through it with this community made a long and arduous process more bearable. My thanks to all of you.

Congratulations, @lkbux64 – Fight On!! USC in general and Thornton specifically are awesome. Best of luck to your son.

@chollist - Congratulations on your S’s decision. It sounds like it will be a great place for him!

Congratulations @lkbux64 on your wonderful news. So many great announcements in the last several days. Hopefully it will be our turn soon. :smile:

Nice avatars, @chollist, @lkbux64 — and what wonderful news! These choices sound like perfect fits. @chollist, nice bonus to have S close to home. @lkbux64 what a ride — guess the kid knew what he wanted!

Thank you, also, for sharing your journey with us on the board. As others have said, this group kept me sane, organized, and laughing! Although the process was arduous, I am already starting to feel nostalgic about it. Now back to hardly seeing S after all that intense togetherness. I’m glad to be able to focus on other things, but I kinda miss him!

Hey everyone!!! At the 11th hour funding came through!!! We are officially #MSMBound!!!

I am sooo thankful for everyone in this group. Surviving this journey would not have possible without you all!

Congratulations @BassoonMom2019 and @lkbux64! Such great news for everyone.

What great news @BassoonMom2019!! Congrats to you and your bassoonist for an amazing choice!

@jadedhaven I just PMd you. We were actually at UT on Monday!

Thank you @lendlees and @akapiratequeen! This has been quite the journey. Up until yesterday, we thought we were UT bound! Now I have to figure out what to do with all of this UT and UT Mom paraphernalia I just bought! Lol…

So - I don’t check here for a few days and the champagne corks have been popping!!!

Congrats to @Lendless (I must say, I would have predicted McGill but glad it’s a bit closer - Philly is a great spot).

BassoonMom - great news on MSM - I don’t think we have any MSM’s on here yet. Great spot!

@lkbux64 - USC is very lucky to get your musician!

@chollist - I have such a soft spot for SFCM so very glad to see that your son is going there! (great to not have him to far away).

@Propinquity4444 - congrats on Frost. Such an interesting major!

@jadedhaven - sounds like Vandy really wants your musician! Good luck with the decision.

@melted butter - I’m so sorry that this is taking awhile to resolve. You are showing great patience! It will be over soon…the fat lady will be singing soon enough.

Hopefully we will have all avatar’s here in the next few days.

Congrats to all the YoungArts participants and their weekends - I’m sure they were so much fun (after the stress of college decisions).

I’m in Rome right now - then headed to Scotland tomorrow (where my hubby is from) and then onto Copenhagen for a company incentive trip. For those that go to Europe much - I was blown away with the flight cost of Norwegian…$250 to Rome from SFO and $250 from Copenhagen to SFO. Fare too good to be true! I still don’t know how they make anything with fares that low.

@tripletmama small world…we were in Scotland last week, just returned! Enjoy!

@BassoonMom2019 - Congratulations on such happy news!!! (Maybe there is another mom out there who could use your UT swag.)

Finally, the agonizing “will not attend” letters have been sent, and the deposit has been paid. D is headed for USC! We are thrilled!! D has been wearing Thornton sweatshirt to school all week. She was so fortunate to have so many good choices and wished she didn’t have to turn down some professors that she really liked. But ultimately, USC just checked off so many of the boxes that it felt like the right choice. See you in August, @lkbux64 . :smile: