Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@journeytothepast — thank you! I so appreciated hearing about Luther from you on these boards. Thanks again!

@CaraCoMO and others here down to the wire, you are exactly where we were last year at this time. Not that D wasn’t decided, she was but we needed more money to come through. The guy in admissions last year at D’s to- choice school walked us through the process of that final appeal extending beyond May 1. D sent emails to her first and second choice schools asking for an extension to May 15. I would suggest you do that before paying and possibly losing deposit money. Most schools will allow the extension and if you are waiting for more money on an additional appeal, the chances of that happening after May 1 increases since others will have declined freeing up merit awards.

Hang in there guys…only 2 more days!!! Congrats to all with logo changes and we are all anxiously waiting for the rest of everyone’s BIG REVEAL @jazzboydad @DrummerDad18 @meltedbutter and @CaraCoMO!!

I am finally catching up here. Congrats to @JeJeJe, @Pikachu’s Mom @TwoInCollegeMom and @Parentof2014grad (and anyone I may have missed.) I’m SO excited for your kids! Best of luck to those who are down to the wire. I can’t imagine the stress and anxiety in these final days. I like the suggestion of @SpartanDrew to ask for an extension, but I can understand the hesitancy to entertain that idea given the extended torture time! Hopefully, appeals will come through very soon or final considerations will come into view for your children to help make the decision clear!

I agree with @DrummerDad18 that I feel so grateful for the connections made here. To see his amazingly talented daughter on stage with my daughter at YoungArts was a true joy. I love that our girls have really hit it off as friends too! And if it weren’t for @SpartanDrew I never would have even known about YoungArts. My daughter had an absolutely life-changing week at YANY so I can’t even properly express my thanks! Not to mention that @SpartanDrew hooked us up with a Loyola sweatshirt when she visited NOLA recently since that was the one school my daughter did NOT buy a sweatshirt from and she needs it for college announcement day at school! Lol.

CC (well, this music journey group, in particular) has been a true goldmine for me! Thanks to all!

Seeking some guidance on next steps after acceptance. Should we set up a phone call with financial aid? My daughter will be taking the Stafford Loan and we will likely have to apply for a Parent Plus Loan. Are both of those done through FAFSA or can the financial aid office step us through that or advise us before we complete application/accept offer? This is what the school website says. We already paid the tuition and housing deposit. What is entrance counseling? Any help from experienced folks would be appreciated.

If you accept your financial aid award, then complete the following steps:

Pay your Tuition and/or Housing Deposits AND

If your financial aid award includes a Federal Stafford Loan (aka Federal Direct Student Loan):

Complete your Entrance Counseling

Sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Visit studentloans.gov for more information!

@AmyIzzy , I believe all you have to do now is pay the deposit. Once you get your bill (usually around July/August, then you settle for the loans. Usually, the student will be attending school by the time she signs the promissory notes. They will send the info to her.

@AmyIzzy — from what I remember with my S, what they are referring to will e spelled out on that web site. ‘Entrance counseling’ was a fancy word for reading through an aid-awareness tutorial. The MPN was also something taken care of online. Hope that helps!

@AmyIzzy Entrance counseling is required before you can receive your first federal loan. It is just to make sure that the students understand their responsibility.

Congratulations to those who went to YoungArts NYC! My S went to the one in LA and had a blast - so grateful for the experience!

And to all… congratulations on your kids’ graduation from high school! This week is our musical then they graduate two weeks after that!

Accidental post. Cannot delete. Sorry!

Congrats to all. I have learned so much much here! ???

I want to add my congratulations to all who went to the YoungArts regional events! My son, unfortunately, was shut out of the NYC event which I think was likely due to his award notification going unnoticed in his Spam folder for a couple of days. So glad that @AmyIzzy, @DrummerDad18 and @Mamager19’s kids got a chance to experience it. Sounds like an amazing time was had by all!

@coloraturadad @“Pikachu’s Mom” and @Mamager19 Thank you all so much! I’m glad I have some breathing room on the financial stuff! Is the Entrance Counseling done with financial aid at Loyola or is a video you watch or phone call with the FAFSA people? That makes sense that they try to be proactive and educate the students on what the loan and payment info will look like as I’m sure some are clueless or just want to ignore the realities. They should have a mandatory class for freshman that covers financing loans, credit card pitfalls, and budgeting if you ask me! Really appreciate the guidance on this.

@Mamager19 Congrats to your son on the YALA week. Such an amazing program for these kids!

@AmyIzzy it is an online tutorial, I believe.

@AmyIzzy —check the web site. It was an online (federal) tutorial that had to be completed before loans could be disbursed.

@MomOD4 , don’t think I didn’t notice your logo change. Congrats to the end of your angsty April. What a great school!

Quick question, do we have until the end of the day on May 1 to accept or end of the day on April 30th?

@CaraCoMO, my understanding is that you have until 11:59 pm on May1st to commit to a school. .

@Busy_Momma THANKS. D is very excited to study Bassoon Performance at University of Michigan with Dr. Lyman! It was a long wait for financial aid and merit$ to finalize but worth it. We live in CA…so she will be far from home!

@MomOD4 we have a friend who is on Bassoon at U of M on the Stamps scholarship! He’s amazing! Congratulations!

Decision has been made!

Attending Accepted Students Days was really crucial in S’s case to realizing which was the right school for him, so thank goodness we went to those!

It all clicked for him while we were at Boston Conservatory that day – it seemed like the right fit. He liked the neighborhood, the facilities, how personalized things seemed, how caring the faculty and staff were. He got his first choice teacher, so he’s quite happy.

Congratulations to everyone on their kids’ finalizing their decisions!! I look forward to feeling some relief tomorrow! S passed out and fell asleep on my bed filling out the credit card info . . . guess the big decision has taken a lot out of him.

Congratulations @PianoMom88 ! I’m glad that your son was able to find the place that was the right fit. Your description sounds wonderful. No wonder he is happy.

Congratulations @PianoMom88 and S! What a wonderful school!

All these famous, prestigious logos are making me a bit giddy. So proud of all our kids!