Class of 2025 Undergrad/Class of 2023 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

I also play and I had that happen to me in HS and again as an adult. It’s terrible. Fortunately, it seems to be better now but I almost never play. I do knit and have other issues with my hands but that isn’t one of them. We used an iPad Pro and purchased a microphone and I love the way her videos are coming.

Good luck to you!!

2 Likes

Thank you. Three virtual auditions left. :blush:

1 Like

Things are starting to happen!

My daughter ended up submitting all but one of her applications - eight total. I had been thinking she might not ultimately apply to that ninth one so this was not a surprise.

We are starting to hear back from some schools too. She has her App State zoom audition in two weeks, and two other zoom auditions on 2/6. She is getting nervous - that’s a good thing! It will help her focus and make her auditions the best they can be.

Academically, this semester that just ended was a disaster, plain and simple. All the teachers handled assignments and grading differently, and it took us most of first quarter to figure out where even to look to see what was coming up in her classes. We are both so ready to move onto second semester!

Hope things are going well for everyone!

2 Likes

So exciting! Good luck to her.

1 Like

Sounds gooooood! I’m excited that things are starting to happen. It will be an interesting year.

2 Likes

New here - anyone have information on music performance at Carnegie Mellon? I don’t see folks chatting about it here and was wondering if anyone applied or has any information ?

Carnegie Mellon does get discussed here and has an excellent school of music. Along with instrumental performance and composition, CM has has very strong programs in electronic music, music technology, and interdisciplinary majors that combine technology and “creative practice.”

@musicmom98 My son applied to the BSA program at CMU this year with a focus on piano performance. They did not have pre-screening this year, just a video audition deadline earlier this month.

1 Like

Hello did any of you get to see CMU prior to COVID19? Meet with music professors at all? Son has a lesson scheduled and completed his interview last Friday

Following as CMU is a top choice (currently, LOL) on my Junior’s list for VP. Keep us posted, especially with how the lesson goes! Break a leg!

CMU is terrific. My D (violin) and I visited last year when she auditioned. The facilities, campus and surrounding area were all gorgeous. D had a lesson as well and really was impressed. Unfortunately she wasn’t admitted. I highly recommend CMU and I agree that for some strange reason it does get much chatter on this forum.

2 Likes

Thank you !

It sounds like my daughter’s AppState audition went smoothly. The faculty heard one piece and did some aural skills testing. They were also using the time as a meet and greet opportunity since the kids can’t be there in person. There were several other Zoom sessions scheduled for audition day, so that it had a bit of an open house feel.

My daughter commented afterwards about a Q&A session with faculty where a kid asked about job placement success for graduating music majors. The faculty responded that there were many career paths open to music majors and that a performance degree was a well respected degree for applicants to medical programs and to many kinds of jobs. My daughter felt that was exaggeration. I told her it was definitely true in my field, which has nothing to do with music (financial sector). We love music students’ ability to focus. They often work well with others and they understand continuous improvement.

This week she has two more Zoom auditions. She is already getting behind again on homework, unfortunately. But she is more engaged and excited about things than she has been all year, so I’m biting my tongue as much as I can.

1 Like

Good morning, all! Now that some of your students are narrowing down their options, how are you approaching getting to know the faculty, determining “fit” without a visit, etc.? My D was not assertive about contacting faculty (list too long!) beyond a few lessons months and months ago. She’s found the zoom info sessions pretty informative (knocked one school from near top to near bottom of list - just a terrible fit for her!) but it’s not the same as an admitted student weekend (which were SO SO helpful for my older kid). I’m thinking that I will push for lessons/chats with potential teachers, intros to other kids in the actual studio (maybe not freshmen who may not even be on campus), etc. now that acceptances are starting to come in. I just think it will be more valuable now that it’s more concrete (and fortunately my kid seems to be finished with zoom auditions, or very close to it). Any other thoughts? TIA!

1 Like

That’s a great idea! Now that she is able to start narrowing down a bit, she has had phone conversations after reaching out through emails. Zooms too.

It is true for medical school. They like music majors because med school involves a lot of hard work, lots of studying. They know that musicians already know how to do that. At times, the major with the highest rate of acceptance to med school has been music, and it’s always near the top on likelihood of being admitted. Of course, not the overall number accepted, because far more science majors apply, but in terms of acceptance rate, it’s true.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about law school admissions rates by major, but I can tell you that music majors make great lawyers.

1 Like

None of my daughter’s schools has released acceptances yet - we’re still waiting. So here is some speculation.

• Daughter did Zoom lessons with all teachers to narrow down her list at the start. That was very helpful but we saw recency bias in her evaluation of the teachers - whoever she’d seen most recently was likely to be higher in her evaluation. So we will almost certainly do another round of sample lessons once we have some acceptances in hand.
  • We are tracking the weather in each of the places she is applying. We live in temperate NC and she is applying to places far north and south of us. A lot of times when she tells relatives her school list they’ll say things like “Minnesota? Don’t go there, it’s so cold there!” She wants context, if only so that she can respond to relatives.
  • We continue to track COVID response. I hope it won’t matter by the fall, but I’m starting to wonder…

I would really like her to have a chance to speak with other students (she herself is less enthusiastic about this). The Zoom information sessions are not useful for this purpose. The prospective students on those sessions are all quiet and the student representatives are “on”, if you know what I mean. I like the idea of asking for student contacts in the studio, that’s exactly the sort of thing that would be helpful!

1 Like

My daughter has observed a handful of studio classes led by professors with current students. All the teachers she has contacted agreed to let her observe on zoom. I highly recommend it!

2 Likes

About the cold in Minnesota. I grew up and went to college and med school in the Northeast. It gets cold and snowy all through the northeast. When I went on my residency tour, I was supposed to go to interview in Minnesota during a day-long layover. Just the extraordinarily frigid air coming in through the gap in the jetway was enough to make me say, “Nope, no way, no how.” I have never lived in a warm climate, neither before nor after. But Minnesota is COLD, even for those used to cold climates.