Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

We are actually have a lesson with a professor at one of the schools he was accepted to Tuesday. I would absolutely ask for a lesson (especially since you haven’t had one). The relationship and fit with a professor can be one of the driving factors behind picking one school over another. I would still use the same-ish format of email only sub in that he has already been accepted to the program. Having a lesson may help narrow down the school selection! Also, my son has decided to answer any questions directed at him about acceptance vaguely with noncommittal responses such as “weighing all our options” and “cost is a factor”. Good luck!

1 Like

Just returned from camping and found out D23 is in at NEC for Flute performance with a merit scholarship.

8 Likes

We have the same strategy for s24 and I have all of those schools on his list (recently removed Furnan due to location). So glad to hear the process worked out!

3 Likes

So, I spent all weekend writing and rewriting my scholarship appeal letters and I just hit the send button. We are praying that we can get our D’s first, second or third choice school down to a more affordable level. It seems strange that now that auditions are over this stage has shifted to my hands. Any other parents sending out appeals?

5 Likes

I’m happy to give more details if you want to private message me. Good luck!

Thank you!!! I will!

I think I will be asking for aid soon, and in fact started the process with one school today, but I’m going to have my son write his scholarship appeal letter himself.

And…the penultimate decision is in. He got into U of Memphis :tada: 0 scholarships, 0 aid :person_shrugging:t2:

It could be something like 6 per instrument, with the top one or two getting in. The wording on the letter may mean a higher spot on the list?

1 Like

Lots of GREAT news this weekend! Sounds like it’s decision time for so many of you! Best of luck!

We’re in the same boat with scholarship appeals. In our case, I think whatever they come up with won’t be enough, but we’re going to give it a try anyway. Crossing my fingers for you!

2 Likes

Our kids have come so far that we absolutely have to try!

3 Likes

Yes, even when receiving generous merit offers as the prices remain outrageously high. The schools don’t seem to understand nor read the special circumstances sections.

2 Likes

Most conservatories don’t have large endowments and generous aid just isn’t possible, unfortunately.

2 Likes

My DD loved CMU but was unfortunately not accepted (thrilled to have passed the prescreen, however). The CMU campus is really very nice. Pittsburgh is a great city and Pitt is walking distance from CMU. I got the impression that CMU is pretty preppy overall, but I’ve only experienced the classical music school. Students have free public transportation in Pittsburgh so your kid will be able to go anywhere for free (especially check out the South Side where my son lives - very cool and artsy)! The vibe at Bard seems a lot more chill. My DD was accepted for the double-degree program (BM VP + BA Theatre) and is seriously considering attending. The campus is gorgeous but we are concerned about it being lonely and too far away from a city (especially during the long winters). Maybe you could tell me more about the area???

1 Like

Welcome to April Angst! May can be a bit of “buyer’s remorse”. But after that it’s clear sailing!!

I just have a few unsolicited opinions:

1.) There’s an old adage that works well here. Money can never guarantee happiness. But the lack of money can guarantee misery.

2.) No school (or type of school) has a golden ticket. If you pay big bucks and go into debt, the school may even play a deterimental role in your kid’s success (so be careful).

3.) If you go to a less selective school, you can still say that you were chosen by the more selective school. You know that…and you want to use the EXTRA money saved for summer programs where you can continue to “rub shoulders” with students at a variety of schools. You may have better luck in grad school by keeping yourself sharp.

4.) Most teachers are much, much better than your student. It can be frustrating if the ensembles aren’t up to par. But less selective school typcially like these high achieving students and will roll out the red carpet and give a lot of opportunities…so…be careful to think that your student will be so good and the school a disappointment. Just keep open-minded about it if it’s all that fits your budget. Your kid may get a lot of attn and support.

5.) The MONEY problem in the business. This is well-known. Talent with money gets ahead of talent without money. In fact, some opera/theater companies are starting to NOT look at music resumes (school names) when considering young artists. It’s known that talent can’t always afford to go to the big names (happened to my D). It is understood in the business…and there are attempts by some (probs not all) to rectify this problem. Once you have been in the business a few years…your school name matters less and less.

Anywho, if your kid can’t afford an expensive school…maybe that’s OK…your kid will need to learn to: keep positive, believe in themselves, hussle, be crafty in developing themselves, work whatever network available etc. All things that are necessary in a professional career. Sometimes a “god” can walk out of the other school and be shocked, while your kid will be scratching and hussling and have no issue with it…right along side the god.

I’ll still hope for some miracles. Just be aware that these issues of affordablity are not new. So hang in there.

Edit: sorry for my misspells as always!

6 Likes

My son is honest in his self-reflection and evaluation of his own skill. But this is what I keep reminding him. None of the ensembles at the schools that have accepted him are “bad.” All will give performance opportunities.

2 Likes

I know that’s true at stand-alone conservatories. In theory, it should be different as schools that are integrated into larger institutions.

Our angst continues… but anyplace unaffordable, even if they believe they are affordable, is a no go.

Two good choices left, neither perfect. I always said not to have a first choice as no one knows what is or isn’t affordable until later. Son has decided the perfect school doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I’d say that right there is the reason why a first choice and second choice don’t make sense, and your son is astute. They are options. Every school is going to have some pros and some cons, some wonderful things about and some you wish were different. How can you put a “1” or a “2” on them?

ETA: I’m having the same thoughts as my kid’s list is narrowing down to a final two or three. They are so different from one another! So different, you can hardly compare them. I look forward to finding out what goes into his final decision.

4 Likes

Another WL question.
Frankly, we regret not seeking out a trial lesson with the second choice teacher.
We knew the first choice was a bit of a long shot as they are known to accept mostly grad students.

While on the WL, is it appropriate to reach out to the second teacher? We have heard wonderful things about this teacher and suspect it would be an excellent match. In fact, it may be better than the first choice.

It’s all been a crazy journey, and there is no much we would’ve done differently if we had only known. I’m grateful for the wisdom we’ve been able to acquire on this site.

TIA!

2 Likes