Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Take heart. We knew plenty of applicants who “only” had 2-3 auditions. That is a lot! And they all ended up with a good fit.

6 Likes

He is in a Pathways program for minority musicians and this is the average amount of recommended auditions. We are going to have to consider financial aid in the decision making process so the more options the better.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear of the excellent experience your son had at the state school! Private programs could reach out more, as I think not everyone applies to private schools even if talented. I know in my D’s high school class, not many students thought they could afford such schools so they never applied. This is not speaking to the diversity factor, though.

1 Like

I’m sorry- but I appreciate the candor and information. I have to believe that grad school is more competitive since the programs are smaller and the level of the applicants must be very high. Plus many applicants may have taken a year or more off after undergrad so they are more developed (especially vocalists). And Yale, being tuition free (right?), must be a major reach.

This is good for us parents of undergrads to see and prepare for.

That said, your D has done so well with prescreens-- there’s no doubt she’ll end up somewhere fantastic. Onward!

2 Likes

Yes Yale is tuition free. I knew it was a stretch for her to get in but had hoped she might get an audition based on some of the other successes she has had (the other prescreens and her competition results last year and this year so far).

Curtis is also tuition free so I have lowered my expectations there - LOL.

Hopefully she gets in somewhere she loves. The gap year is just not what she wants to do, although she will make it work if she has to!

3 Likes

Good morning/afternoon/eve. I’m feeling high stress today about this process and the waiting period we’re in. I bet several of our families feel this way! I don’t know if it’s just me as mom, so I can’t speak for my kid. He may feel fine. :slightly_smiling_face: And so it feels weird for me to be worrying about his process.

It seems like a weird experience to get congrats letters from universities for pre music, yet not be fully admitted. And he has more applications this weekend. Whew!

I keep reminding myself of the advice on this forum to trust him and what he feels is right.

4 Likes

I am beginning to make a packing list for D’s voice auditions and looking for any suggestions of things you’ve found useful or wish you had thought of with hind sight.

Navage machine
travel humidifier
electric kettle, (teas, honey)

Also, we have gotten mixed opinions about audition outfits: dressy recital attire vs professional business attire. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Edited : Some good advice we got here was no matter the choice, be yourself. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I know two students in the past that have gotten into Yale. My D knew a teacher who was hired there so that was the connection for these two students. One was really into Early Music. The other had an academic bent as well (but I can’t remember what). The teacher was quite “academic” and that doesn’t work well for my D. There are different approaches…on one end, the traditional, academic, steeped in history way and on the other end a newer, collaborative, not steeped in history way. And, of course, everything in-between. It can be the difference of leading with your head (following tradition) or emotions (built in collaboration).

I share this to let people know…sometimes the BEST school/teacher is the one that wants you for a reason that you don’t understand until later. Of course, free tuition is tempting no matter what…

Bivalent booster onboard!

3 Likes

I don’t know what this means :laughing: (I’m a pretty clueless person.)

Wait, do you mean ambivalent and it spell checked :grinning: Yeah, I wrote something that came out sounding weird.

I thought I saw a post that read “Vxs” which is medical shorthand for vaccines, so I replied that we’ve had the most current- bivalent vaccine. Perhaps I was mistaken.

3 Likes

Got word that my DS did not pass Blair VP prescreen. This process is hard but we only sent three prescreens and passed two so we gotta keep truckin’!

4 Likes

It helps to remember you only need one school!

Regarding tuition-free schools, the tuition is free but room and board isn’t and there may be fees, including health insurance, possibly necessitating loans. Does anyone know the actual estimated cost of attending grad school at Yale SOM or Curtis? I am curious.

2 Likes

Curtis is about $22K per year for room and board. However, students can apply for financial assistance for room and board to offset these costs.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. Two of them are great news, though, and exciting!

2 Likes

I did some research on this at one point and there was still a lot left to pay at Yale. But it still would be a great opportunity.

if classical voice I would recommend recital attire. We did see all sorts of dress but now that my kid is in school she say most appropriate is recital attire - doesn’t need to be floor length but dressy

2 Likes

Applied to about 16 schools. But still no final decisions from schools of music.

Academic acceptances:
Ball State
U of Dayton
Gustavus
NAU
Xavier
Jacksonville U
Western Michigan U

Awaiting:
Indiana
U of Minn-TC (passed prescreen)
Baldwin Wallace