Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Wait until it becomes a problem and then scramble! And yes, this is a serious answer.

It is hard to ask for alternative dates until you pass the pre-screen. Also if you have a couple trips coming up, it may give you and your kid more information about school/program types…what they like…what they don’t like. If all 3 come through, then you need to think about which schools seem best to visit…which dates can be moved…and maybe which school must be virtual (if possible).

I’m sure others will agree that soooo much changes during the process, that it is best to just let it play out. You may feel that you should plan and control it all. There is a certain degree of being “out of control” that you must accept. So buckle up…and have faith that you and your kid will make the right calls at the right time. If you are sincere and honest with schools in trying to make arrangements in most cases there will be a solution.

9 Likes

Hasn’t finished application yet - sample lesson this week, so they certainly haven’t finished looking at everyone!

2 Likes

That’s where we are at, as well. It’s up to her now!

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. This is only our first wave of a few applications, and it does seem very uncontrollable. I just need to remember that it’s the same for almost everyone.

1 Like

That is a great question! Even if they’re not on the same day, it seems like it’s tricky to balance them and I’ve been wondering the same thing. We can’t really afford to make a million little trips and I’d like to piggy back auditions but sometimes there is overlap too. I was wondering about video auditions - are they really considered the same way, I wonder?

1 Like

My D received an acceptance off the one video audition she did. This was for grad school and a number of years ago. She contacted the school, explained that she could not afford the audition and still was very interested. I know that others have received acceptances as well. Please consider the following:

Equity - this may only be “rumor” however my understanding is that schools are fine with recorded (or remote) auditions since there are great students that cannot afford to travel. It is one way to level the playing field.

COVID changed things - recorded auditions have become much more acceptable in the “professional” world (my D is out of school). For better or worse, recorded auditions are here to stay in the professional world…and I would guess it’s a bigger percentage of auditions at schools. Schools now have a track record with recorded or remote auditions so I would guess they are much more comfortable with the process.

School policy- if the schools says that all auditions will all be treated equally, then they should be.

I do think that it would be beneficial if your kid is showing interest in the school and faculty. If you simply do a recorded audition with no contact and you are on the razor edge…then you may be rejected. However if your kid is communicating with music admissions and hopefully a faculty member by email (maybe a remote lesson), any talented student should be able to be successful with a recorded (or remote) audition…for most schools…there can always a stinker or two in the bunch…but maybe that’s not the best school anyway.

Good luck.

5 Likes

My daughter applied ED to a BM program and got word this week that she passed the pre-screen. She’s received materials from the school about the auditions, which include some activities, like a tour and reception. I’m curious whether parents participate/are expected to participate in these? When she took a lesson, I was very hands-off—just dropped her off. But now I’m wondering…am I meant to be there?

3 Likes

I would say that the amount of parental participation depends in large part on the kid. At this stage in the process, whatever helps your daughter feel relaxed and comfortable with her audition is what is best. When my son went through his auditions several years ago, he asked to go alone. It made him feel more confident and in control of the whole experience. I was his travel agent and calming supporter from afar.
Every kid is different. But I would suggest to let your daughter lead the way.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is so helpful! I will absolutely defer to her. I’m curious which she’d prefer, TBH! And happy to be there for her in whatever way she needs. <3

1 Like

If nothing else, it’s time for all the concerts! I am blown away by my D’s chamber orchestra and symphony orchestra (yes, at a small school in Iowa–Luther College), and will be going up tomorrow to hear her in Opera Scenes and a chamber music recital. It can’t get better than this!
Next year she may be more than just 1.5 hours from me so I’m taking full advantage.
Hope everyone else is enjoying music events as well!

2 Likes

Any thoughts on choosing virtual audition option for USC vs in-person? It is the only West coast music school on my daughter’s list and audition weekend is overlapping with auditions in other schools and local events. Really wanted to do it in-person, USC is pretty high on her list, loooooved the professor, plus applied for their merit scholarship too.

Just trying to be realistic here. Will our kid be disadvantaged by that? Sample lesson was virtual and went great.

I can’t speak to the risk/benefit of an in person versus live remote audition as my son did all in person. Literally finished his final audition the weekend before the pandemic shutdowns started.
My suggestion is to wait until you have all passed pre screens in hand and then map out an itinerary accordingly. Some programs have flexibility with audition weekends, some do not. You may decide to drop some choices off the list if you have too many pending auditions. (a nice problem to have) You may opt to audition virtually if that is the best feasible option. I also was sure to always pay extra to allow for last minute exchanges/cancellations in flights in case something changed with the audition schedule (probably very rare) or if my son got sick or decided to drop a choice off of his list.
The path becomes clearer over the next month. It’s an exciting time!
My son did audition at Thornton/USC, so feel free to DM if you have any specific questions about his experience.

1 Like

Thank you, @anotheroboemom! Makes sense. I might reach out closer to that audition.

D23’s prescreen was waived at USC, hence she needed to decide on the format of the next audition last weekend - she declared a virtual one for now, will see how things will shape up with other commitments.

Appreciate your trip planning advise, looks like “flexibility” will be the next year’s motto, lol!

2 Likes

I recall having a spreadsheet with my son’s potential audition dates and all the other obligations (school musical, all-state, etc). At this stage, considering time and money, it looked impossible. We saw many students drop the all-state and other music activities in favor of auditions and audition prep. My son managed to juggle it all and still get the acceptances, but he did only apply and audition at four schools—two more or less local, two plane rides. This was 2019 pre-Covid. I think now, video auditions are no problem at most schools if conflicts arise.

@Pikachu_s_Mom Luther does have some fine ensembles! My son had Luther as a close second choice four years ago and a friend of his did attend. I’ve been in Texas hearing my son sing in two choir concerts, including a solo! Hard to believe it’s been four years since that crazy audition season and now there’s just one semester left of college. Enjoy the journey, everyone. :-).

3 Likes

Back in the Stone Age (2003), my kid was invited to an event like this at his audition date. There was a separate and very nice brunch for the parents. This was the Hartt School. Same thing happened at Duquesne.

1 Like

Whoa, mama, what a ride this music major application/audition process is. D #1 is a scientist. Her application to a local university was one and done. She applied on Halloween and knew she was in by Thanksgiving.

D#2 is an aspiring vocal performance/opera major. She’s in the throws of finishing up the last few essays and straggling bits and pieces before Dec. 1, but it’s going to be a sprint to the finish. 16 schools. Yes, 16. Unfortunately, we’ve had a shift in income with me changing jobs this year, and we need to chase the scholarship/merit awards more than we’d like. Plus, she’s applying to some schools with exceptionally low rates of acceptance.
We are all a bit fried from this process, but we see Dec 1 as the last day of madness. Yes, there’s auditions to fly to (no in state options), but it’s largely out of her hands. They either like her or they don’t. Time will tell. So, we’re coming in hot to that deadline, and praying we haven’t missed any tiny little crazy step…soooooo many hoops, and they are ALL different.
Anybody else feel like their hair is on fire?

4 Likes

I cannot even imagine 16 schools. Do they all have prescreens? Good luck!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, we’ve just started scrambling in the past week. My kid passed one prescreen, got a date scheduled at another school, and has three schools with no prescreens that all offer similar weekends. There are two more prescreens out there that, if they come through, conflict with everything else. Yikes! It’s exciting, but so crazy.

1 Like

Hi there! Was there something extra you needed to do, besides send all materials by December 1? I looked through all their stuff and it seemed like we just needed to meet the deadline. I want to make sure we do absolutely every step.

I’m curious, how do you get the prescreen waived?

We’re asking ourselves all the questions about virtual vs in-person. It’s so hard to decide.

1 Like